Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Ban on crown land  (Read 9071 times)

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Ban on crown land
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:53:14 AM »
Heard this on the news this morning. Seems there is a plan in the works to ban all OHV vehicles from "Mud Boggin" on crown land. I know it is unlikely it will be successful to the scale proposed but it still got my attention.

http://www.660news.com/news/local/article/202702--plan-aims-to-make-mud-bogging-illegal-on-crown-land

Apparently closing  crown OHV trails will preserve our vast wilderness? I fail to see any signifigant causation between such a limited activity and any signifigant habitat loss. They really could be focusing on much more pressing issues and stop going after the easy target.

Either way, the point of this post is the below qoute, Offroad clubs should definately get togther on this one.
"The public will be able to give their two cents over the summer, before the province hammers out a final plan set to come into effect in 2013."

Maylong

It seems the annual May long anti OHV ad campaign is getting started. I realize that the people on this forum aren't the people causing the problem, but at the same time if we aren't the ones to do something I think we end up getting screwed. Has the CJA ever considered standing on the side of the RCMP and helping them out? Or getting some sort event going that focuses on maylong?Obviously we don't want to be lumped in with re-tards wrecking the place, but we are anyway so I don't think we have much to lose. Admittedly, I have very little experience dealing with land use issues so at the least fill me in why we don't do anything to prevent these problems?  I have been wheelin now for only 3 years and every year its the same story again and again.....and again
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:01:11 AM by Jrama »

Offline superles

• UberWheeler
Re: Ban on crown land
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:19 AM »
The biggest problem is that a brush get's used to paint all ohv's. I have 44" tires and a BB chevy "does that make me a mud bogger" cause I'm not. Have no roof and not a fan of getting muddy. I simple can idle through almost anything without causing damage. I save the full potential of my rig for the likes of safari park etc. I'm in favor of Alcohol bans on crown land, especially on long weekends. I've seen in the last while more quads off trail than trucks. My wife and friend have rzr and quad and off trail is not permitted. Why do more quads have snorkles than trucks (ever ask your self this!!!!!)

STUPID PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM.  Im for having to have a ab offroad licence to operate any ohv on crown land. A mandatory course must be taken to get this license (like boats), and the dollars in revenue used toward trail maintenance and enforcement.

I know this will start a rant lol

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
"STUPID PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM." - I completely agree I have been out at Mclean for the past 4-5 May long weekends and it is always the same intoxicated assholes wrecking place. I have seen a stock chev 1500 just do donoughts and turn an entire area to mud. Basically people who never use the place on a regular basis come out and trash it and then leave. On the other hand Some people who do use it regularly decide to act even more recklessly and contribute as well.  Booze is definately a huge factor in all poor decisions made.

I do think a special offroad permit should be mandatory for anyone looking to take any motorized vehicle into the bush.

Still at the end of the day we are the ones who are getting a bad rap from all these POS individuals (mostly drunk teens and some adults just are just above functionally retarted)
Maybe the CJA could team up with RCMP (or whoever) and help out this year, Let all these assholes know that there are regular users and they do care very much about how they treat the area.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:01:22 AM by Jrama »

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:16:58 AM »
The CJA is not licenced nor do we have have the training or authority to help out the policing agencies.  I don't see that as a viable option.

Not trying to throw cold water on this idea, just being realistic.  That being said,  we have this discussion every year so throw out more suggestions and ideas.   How could we be a positive influence out there and spin the positives of the club and the need to respect these areas?

04 TJ Rubi

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »
On page A3 of the Herald too

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
The CJA is not licenced nor do we have have the training or authority to help out the policing agencies.  I don't see that as a viable option.

Not trying to throw cold water on this idea, just being realistic.  That being said,  we have this discussion every year so throw out more suggestions and ideas.   How could we be a positive influence out there and spin the positives of the club and the need to respect these areas?

It is a tough question
-Sounds weak but even using Aids like signs will deter some people, particulary teenage campers and party goers who are unfamaliar with the area. Let people know their is rules and clearly lay them out. Have fine charges posted on signs.

Having people witnessing the situation  and informing an agency with legitimate power to take action is what i was thinking by working with the RCMP/Ranger. If you can actually get rangers or officers out on the trail or to areas were there are problems people will definately think twice. People think they can do whatever they want because no authority is not going to reach them.  The RCMP should probably just set up a camp out there, let everyone see them and make their presence well known.

As private individuals, the best we can do is set a proper example, speak our point of view and try to minimize the damage by cleaning up etc. Even setting up a CJA camp or something and go around telling people to pick up their garbage and not wreck the place I think has potential.The camp would .... Make people aware, givie the club a personal face and show them that real responsible people use these areas year round. Have a bbq make some friends get people on our side or atleast show them how they should treat the area.

-

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
While the CJA can't work in an official capacity, I think there are other thing it could do to help encourage responsible wheeling, for example:

Hold a "show and shine" or course on responsible wheeling, maybe see if tread lightly or the RCMP would be interested in partnering with the CJA and provide information on responsible wheeling and vehicle equipment rules.

I am just as bad as most when it comes to my attitude towards the idiots on the long weekends, but it would appear that sitting back and say "its not us doing it" isn't help our communities image either.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
I see what you are saying Jrama/Evil-jeep and these are good ideas.   

A lot of the seasoned veterans of the CJA and other clubs have been there and done that when it comes to these very suggestions.  Years back, they did a information campaign during the May long at Indian Graves, handed out garbage bags, had great PR, etc and had the area closed the next week...
So, for these people, you can see why they may be apprehensive to do this again...  and rightly so.

That being said, we have a bunch of new people in the club (who are not yet jaded  ;)) and obviously some non-members (like yourselves) who are passionate about doing something positive that weekend in McLean

So let me go back to the membership and see if we can put together a group of CJA members willing to try to plan something.  If we can get a committee together, we will open access to non-members and potential members interested in participating in this event.

I like the idea of the CJA doing something proactive for the May long as well as our annual post weekend cleanup.  We can try to make a difference or we can sit back and watch the closures happen. 

Non-members - If you are interested in participating in something like this, post up.

Kevin - CJA VP
04 TJ Rubi

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 02:37:03 PM »
Just something to think about. The type of people you want to randomly walk up to and tell to clean up and not mess around with their vehicles are probably not the kind that will just say ok and leave it at that. The RCMP goes out their ever year and issues hundreds of tickets that will stand up in court. If you are going to be reporting people for infractions and they do get ticketed, YOU have to show up to court to testify. This means they get to know who you are etc...

As for trying to educate people about the vehicle requirements for the highway, are you 100% sure that your rig is in 100% compliance with them? I know that mine isn't and probably won't be, that goes for a lot of other people on this site too. Don't you agree that before we try to get the RCMP involved we should be setting the example?

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
I think we would have to be very clear on what the message would be and try to keep it about repsonsible use of the land.  We are in no postion to talk about vehicle requirements.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:55:11 PM by specialk »
04 TJ Rubi

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »
It can become down right dangerous out there for an individual or group of people trying to persuade the "idiots" to be more respectful of the land. I like, lots of people on here have seen some truly idiotic behaviour happening out there and have had to leave an area because staying would have involuntarily made me part of what was going on. Approaching a group or an individual three sheets to the wind on a long weekend out there will more than likely end in serious personal injury and may just get you into trouble long after the weekend is over.

Offline yellowjeep101

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »
if it was in the herald, it gives the off road community a place to voice our opinion on the matter in the short term using the editorial section. I think a member should make a response to that article, but run it by a full member/ president. It would show the community there is another side to the issue, and also might show other less responsible users that there are people who care for the land we all share that want to see it remain open.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
The bottom line here is that we do something . The above indian graves example ,is what I believe happens when action is taken too late. Would have the outcome been different if those actions were taken 3-4 years prior? Mclean isn't on the verge of closing but in a couple years it is going to be a real issue and then it will be too late. The point here isn't only to keep mclean open its to re-cover ground with continual (Annual Efforts) that constantly push our agenda. Doing it once does absolutely nothing, twice nothing, but everytime? that makes a difference, when we show commitment.

There is a fine line taken when trying to inform people about proper use of the land. I agree that approaching some people during the wrong time is borderline dangerous, that said common sense and playing it smart should keep everyone safe. I mean last year I had a guy come up to our camp site with a three year old strapped to his back offering to sell us weed, LSD. Whatever we wanted he insisted he could get for us. These are the kind of people that Mclean is currently attracting. This is what we aim to put an end to.

As far as citing people for their fenders not covering there tires or cracked windshields I could care less. We should only be concerned with people wrecking the place, and leaving undue amounts of trash. We wouldn't go around choosing pointless battles about trash either. If a truck is rolled over, a camper burned out, someone serioulsy abusing the place we make the RCMP aware immediately. I was thinking (Just and Idea) that we could  directly lead RCMP around popular sites.  Just the presence of people in big 4x4's watching you will deter the casual bunghole.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:21:13 PM by Jrama »

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:23:48 PM »
Guys, don't drink the kool aid. May Long is no longer what it used to be. With more enforcement and more of us telling the idiots its not allowed, times have DRAMATICALLY changed. Very little cleaning is needed post May Long. On other Long weekends, you barely see many people.
Seriously, its nowhere near as bad as media makes it. It was so tame last year that the NEWS used pics and video from PRIOR years.

i am done agreeing that there is a problem. Thats what Big Brother wants you to do. Enforcement has made a huge difference. Sure, there are isolated incidents but so MUCH better than 5 years ago.

What i do is ride up to camps and start taking pics. i usually do this on Thursdays. They think i am SRD and i let them know we will be back on Monday to make sure their camp is clean. It works so well. i do not say i am SRD, but...

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
Indian Graves. There is nothing we could have done about that. One bunghole had an agenda to get rid of trucks. He and a group were well aligned politically. They got Minister Moron to blanket close it to trucks. That bunghole is now under wraps and may end up hurt if he ever pulls a stunt like that again. Believe me the political machine closed IG and there was NOTHING we could have done.

Maclean will be closed if 4x4's don't get their crap together and start making the trails more environmentally viable. Trust me, the writing is on the walls. i also understand through prior discussion that the 4x4 community is not prepared to make that happen.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.