Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Ban on crown land  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
Re: Ban on crown land
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »
Guys, don't drink the kool aid. May Long is no longer what it used to be. With more enforcement and more of us telling the idiots its not allowed, times have DRAMATICALLY changed. Very little cleaning is needed post May Long. On other Long weekends, you barely see many people.
Seriously, its nowhere near as bad as media makes it. It was so tame last year that the NEWS used pics and video from PRIOR years.

i am done agreeing that there is a problem. Thats what Big Brother wants you to do. Enforcement has made a huge difference. Sure, there are isolated incidents but so MUCH better than 5 years ago.

What i do is ride up to camps and start taking pics. i usually do this on Thursdays. They think i am SRD and i let them know we will be back on Monday to make sure their camp is clean. It works so well. i do not say i am SRD, but...

I think may also be worth noting last May long it snowed....... if it were +30 I am sure more people would have been there.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 11:30:30 PM »
It always snows Maylong ;D
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
I see what you are saying Jrama/Evil-jeep and these are good ideas.   

A lot of the seasoned veterans of the CJA and other clubs have been there and done that when it comes to these very suggestions.  Years back, they did a information campaign during the May long at Indian Graves, handed out garbage bags, had great PR, etc and had the area closed the next week...
So, for these people, you can see why they may be apprehensive to do this again...  and rightly so.

That being said, we have a bunch of new people in the club (who are not yet jaded  ;)) and obviously some non-members (like yourselves) who are passionate about doing something positive that weekend in McLean

So let me go back to the membership and see if we can put together a group of CJA members willing to try to plan something.  If we can get a committee together, we will open access to non-members and potential members interested in participating in this event.

I like the idea of the CJA doing something proactive for the May long as well as our annual post weekend cleanup.  We can try to make a difference or we can sit back and watch the closures happen. 

Non-members - If you are interested in participating in something like this, post up.

Kevin - CJA VP
on r
Sounds like a good proactive plan.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 09:54:09 PM »
I don't know if this would even be allowed out at Mclean, but what if the CJA posted up flyer's similar to what you guys have done in the past for the 101, advertising a hotdog cookout on one of the days of that weekend. Then during that time, have a site set up, with a CJA banner, or even just at the staging area if allowed, and then sell hotdogs, and hand out garbage bags. It wouldn't hurt to at least be out there passing on the good word and promoting safe, and sensible wheeling practices. I think I know someone on here that may even have a few gallons of frozen chili somewhere that they could easily sell out there! If you set it up so all the proceeds go into the trail fund, I'm pretty sure there are a few people here that would not only donate their time, they would even pitch in a couple packs of hotdogs each just to do the world some good :) Id be in for it, and would even be happy to donate the use of a barbecue I have. Though you may need a thousand hotdogs, Id still be willing to pitch out of my own pocket to help out with a cause like this. Just a thought :)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
It's true last may long was really tame, as well with being cold/wet the enforcement was borderline insane. I saw more RCMP/SRD than I have ever seen anywhere. My group passed through the check points so many times they began to reconize our rigs and started to wave us through knowing we weren't the ones they were after. The only time I was given anything close to a hard time was when they had a complaint of some kid in a black Jeep who had assaulted somebody, just happened to be that I drive a black Jeep, after it was all sorted out which took only about 20mins I was given and apology and was left to go on my way. I also have to agree it's nowhere near as bad as it was 5 years ago, It could be a number of things contributing to this from the weather to the enforcement who knows.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
I don't know if this would even be allowed out at Mclean, but what if the CJA posted up flyer's similar to what you guys have done in the past for the 101, advertising a hotdog cookout on one of the days of that weekend. Then during that time, have a site set up, with a CJA banner, or even just at the staging area if allowed, and then sell hotdogs, and hand out garbage bags. It wouldn't hurt to at least be out there passing on the good word and promoting safe, and sensible wheeling practices. I think I know someone on here that may even have a few gallons of frozen chili somewhere that they could easily sell out there! If you set it up so all the proceeds go into the trail fund, I'm pretty sure there are a few people here that would not only donate their time, they would even pitch in a couple packs of hotdogs each just to do the world some good :) Id be in for it, and would even be happy to donate the use of a barbecue I have. Though you may need a thousand hotdogs, Id still be willing to pitch out of my own pocket to help out with a cause like this. Just a thought :)

I'm in.

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
The members voted online on this issue and the majority want the club to not get involved during the May Long weekend and just to do the post weekend clean up the weekend after.
04 TJ Rubi