Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: rounded brake line nut zj  (Read 2615 times)

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
rounded brake line nut zj
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »
so the nut going from the soft line to the hard line became rounded yes I was using a flare wrench.
would I be able to cut above the nut put a new one on and reflare it? or do I need a whole new line.

Dingman

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
Re: rounded brake line nut zj
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:32:39 PM »
That should be fine, ive replaced many brake lines on my vehicles, and if you have a flare tool its no issue at all. Might be easier still if its a short straight run to just go to auto value and buy a length of tube with the ends and flares already on it.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:05:58 PM »
Shortening it and reflaring it is fine. I often use a pair of small vice grips to break loose those fittings. Works quite well.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Raspberry

• Budget Lift
  • Do what you love, the rest will follow.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:50:58 AM »
Shortening it and reflaring it is fine. I often use a pair of small vice grips to break loose those fittings. Works quite well.

+1.
I recently installed extended front brake hoses on my cherokee, and a buddy of mine who was helping ended up snapping the metal brake line. We went to Princess Auto to grab a $35 flaring kit, cut the brake line just above where it tore off, re-flared it and used a threaded nut from my scrap cherokee that wasn't so rusted out. It was actually so much easier than I thought it would be.
DECEASED - 'Big Ben' (black '97 XJ) : ~9" lift - 35's - Ford 9" - 4.56 gears - armoured up - ...and a sound system that can annoy the hell out of Lemon-aid Jay!!
NEXT - Dark green '98 XJ to build up....

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:55:47 AM »
I have to do this too before the long arms go on, exactly how hard is it to flare a brake line?

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:28:28 AM »
If you woke up, and put your own clothes on this morning, you can flare your own line. It does need a double flaring tool, but its as simple as putting the tool around the line, inserting the die piece and turning the screw if I remember correctly.

Of course in your case Fraser, just sell the grand and buy yourself a pre-flared red XJ. You will be happier in the long run.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:45:54 AM »
Make sure to check it for leaks after. I have messed up a couple and had them weep and had to redo them.

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »
If your just gonna throw out the hose you can heat up the ends with torch, it's smells bad bit it saves you from making the steel line shorter sometimes.   Once apart clean the steel really well and coat it up with antiseize and it should never do it again. Thanks for reminding me that I need to spray mine down with oil to stop rusting.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
Vice grips?

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »
Yes vice-grips. The small ones. Works quite well, have done it lots. In fact I often start with those and don't bother with the flare nut wrench. If I get a good clamp the first time I don't even mess up the nut and can still use a regualr wrench to tighten it back up.

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:47:42 AM »
Yes vice-grips. The small ones. Works quite well, have done it lots. In fact I often start with those and don't bother with the flare nut wrench. If I get a good clamp the first time I don't even mess up the nut and can still use a regualr wrench to tighten it back up.

Have loosened many stripped flare nuts on brake lines,fuel lines etc with these

http://www.pronto.com/compare/4-irwin-vise-grip-nut-10306200215

Offline Greg-100

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:10:11 PM »
With the visegrip, a last ditch attempt to remove a stubborn nut, is to use enough grip force on the nut, but not too much to deform it and use a small hammer to tap the vise grip handle in a rapid motion. (poor man's impact gun)

Also works well with a wrench to remove rusted on nuts, key is rapid taps verses hard taps.

Greg