Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Camping miss-adventure tips  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
Camping miss-adventure tips
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »
So it is camping session is coming, if old man winter likes it or not. 
What tips do you have based on miss adventures

- bring a back up bottle of whatever you drink, and keep them in a non breakable container.
- Always bring one more roll of TP then you think you need and doable wrap them in zip lock bags. 
- don't let Kevin run a chain saw after dark.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline rangerdanger

• Budget Lift
Re: Camping miss-adventure tips
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
You can never have enough tarps  :)
Lethbridge Coulee Kruzer

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »
When it's time to split wood, offer to do the cooking if Aaron will split the wood.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »
last summer i was camping in Golden BC. small campground. the tent sites were pretty close together so you could easily hear the conversations from the other campers. so, my entertainment for the evening was when the family of 8 (yes 8, not a typo) forgot the huge 10 person tent. well, the real fun was watching and listening to them take everything out of the van and utility trailer to find the tent they forgot. they were from kelowna so it was a good drive to go back. but, they stayed and figured it all out. turned out to be a real cool family and great people. thankfully there was no rain, but the mosquitos were in abundance. ;D
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
ROOTS burn good.

thats what i've learnt.

this old guy camping with us (who likes mole ladies ;) ) would venture ou into the woods, and then, come back, dragging half a TREE.  and all he'd say is 'roots burn good!'

he was right.  thanks Ron!!!!

other thing; when camping in the bush, when you pick a spot, make sure you will still be able to get out to civilization if it snows a foot that night.......... ;) 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:37 PM »
Dont camp in a ditch!!
One year at a ball tourney my team showed up a little late the first night and there were no actual camping spots left...we set up in the first patch of grass we could find...Upon waking up the last day this was our camp site.

A second tip....use an air mattress....sure  i woke up drifting around in my tent but i was dry!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:13:12 PM by fony3 »

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »
Bring a shovel.  On the cold nights sitting around the fire you can grab a shovel full of hot coals from the fire and put them under your chair.   It really warms you up quick. 

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
ROOTS burn good.

You mean old-arse stumps.

Drag stumps out of the ground and use them as firewood. They will smolder into the early mornig and have enough heat to cook breakfast on.

I always remember to bring lots of  wet wipes to clean my hands and "stuff" with.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »
Buy a trailer and do a spring over on it. Drag it most places. And bring way too much extra water so you can have long hot showers and never run out of water ;D
or buy a motorhome...

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »
If you are tenting bring the biggest insulated tarp you can borrow or buy. Cover the tent up completly spreeding it out on the  ground and when it snows or rains hard you still will be toasty warm in the sleeping bag and everything will be dry on the ground around the tent in the morning.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:42:28 PM »
If you are tenting bring the biggest insulated tarp you can borrow or buy. Cover the tent up completly spreeding it out on the  ground and when it snows or rains hard you still will be toasty warm in the sleeping bag and everything will be dry on the ground around the tent in the morning.

I use to do that, Then bout a real 4 season tent. not a CT one.
you get what you pay for. Cheap sleeping bag = you freez , cheap Therma-Reast knock off you will be cold and it will deflate, Cheap 4 season tent from CT or Wal-Mart when it snows in August one you freez and the tent falls in. 

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »
If you have a chain saw bring the right file for the chain. You never know what you will find inside a tree. i.e. old page weir fence. went camping one year back home and took the saw, grabbed the file for a larger saw and wreaked the teeth on wire in the tree.