Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Car storage Oil question  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Car storage Oil question
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
Looking at buying a car that has been in storage for about year. The problem is the engine oil level was below the fill level, although it was not low enough to trip the oil pressure light. Anybody have any insight as to what this means? The car does not smoke and for all intensive purpose I can see absolutley no leaks.

I was thinking maybe they took the oil out before parking it and just did not add enough, but this makes little sense...I mean how half assed can you be? Although what little oil was in the car appeared to be brand new. The car went into to the shop about 1300kms before it was parked to fix an evap related engine light and they reported nothing wrong on the service bill.

Is there any problems associated with engine oil and storage like...having it gel or something? Its going in for an inpsection to get to the root of the problem via owner, any questions I should be asking the mechanic?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:03:33 PM by Jrama »

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Car storage Oil question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
if all it did was sit and hardly ran. no visible leaks and it doesnt look to be burning oil. my first guess would be that whomever did the oil change didnt add the full amount. if its within the add-full range then you will be ok. ive seen engines seemingly run fine on less then 3 litres of oil.
some people add oil until its full on the dipstick but forget that the oil filter can hold up to a litre of oil and after running will be low on the dipstick.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »
The oil level was below the high low range which is why I am concerned. Plus the oil that was in there was brand spankin new..soo it just seems kinda off to me. it was only driven maybe 20 kms this way.

So just to cover all my bases here it's going to get a compression test as well having a good look over. If all seems on the up an up I'll pick it up tommorow.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »
what kind of car is it?
YJ=Y’all Jealous

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »
oh god...what are you guying now... muscle?