Calgary Jeep Association

Linked Events

• 1st Open Run @ McLean: May 01, 2011

Author Topic: First open run at mclean May 1st  (Read 14523 times)

Offline comanche killer

• UberWheeler
  • Aaron
First open run at mclean May 1st
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »
I'll be leading the first open run out at mclean creek.
Trail:-Fish east starting from the south end.  with the posibly of top of the world after if time permits
Meeting time- 9:00 at the first staging area on the left down the dirt road. We'll leave for the trail head at 10:00

Nonmembers, This will count as an officially lead trail run, a requirement for member ship in the CJA.

The minimum requirements for this run will be as follows:
 - 33"  or bigger MT or AT tread, if in doubt PM me   ( MUST BE IN GOOD SHAPE NOT BALD).
 - Proper tow points front and rear, stock tow points, aftermarket or aftermarket bumpers with recovery points.
 - Full size spare also in good shape.
 - Waivers will have to be signed by any non members  present.
 - Valid drivers license and insurance for anyone who plans to drive.
 - Enough food and water for every person in your vehicle for one day.
 - Full tank of gas, filling up in bragg creek is a good idea.
 - Mechanically sound jeep, please make sure your jeep is trail ready.  

Highly recommended stuff:
 - CB radio.
 - Recovery gear.
 - a change of clothes.
 - Full jerry can of gas.
 - sway bar disco's. (unless you have no swaybar)
 - Tool kit, you never know what might break on the trail.

I also need members to volunteer for tail gunner and middle
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:12:40 PM by comanche runner »
95 3/4 ton Chev  dailydriver/heavy hauler
97 green MZJ custom 4link rear/3link front, FF 14 bolt rear welded, D 60 front, ax-15, np-231,custom rollcage, half doors, PSC hydro assist 14"kings 40"boggers

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
Re: first open run at mclean May 1st
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
I may be game to go be someones winch ***** for the day...
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline Mud

• Budget Lift
  • Chad
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
I'm in and real excited to be back at McLean!
JKU-R, RK 5.5 Lift, 36" IROK, WARN 8274,  CB, Genright tire carrier, Poison Spyder Armor, Warn Bumper, Viair
RIP 2001 Orange TJ

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
I'll probably be in....force me to fix my junk.

Will be in the gold station wagon

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »
I'll hopefully be in for this, are the gates opening April 30 or May 1?
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline comanche killer

• UberWheeler
  • Aaron
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »
are the gates opening April 30 or May 1?

Just googled it as far as I know the gates should be open for us.
97 green MZJ custom 4link rear/3link front, FF 14 bolt rear welded, D 60 front, ax-15, np-231,custom rollcage, half doors, PSC hydro assist 14"kings 40"boggers

Offline Raspberry

• Budget Lift
  • Do what you love, the rest will follow.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:30:23 AM »
I'd love to be in on this, though I do work at 5pm that day (downtown calgary restaurant). How long do we wheel for? Would I be able to leave early if I have to?

The minimum requirements for this run will be as follows:
 - 33"  or bigger MT or AT tread, if in doubt PM me   ( MUST BE IN GOOD SHAPE NOT BALD).

^^ Dana can't come? aw shucks :P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:32:59 AM by Raspberry »
DECEASED - 'Big Ben' (black '97 XJ) : ~9" lift - 35's - Ford 9" - 4.56 gears - armoured up - ...and a sound system that can annoy the hell out of Lemon-aid Jay!!
NEXT - Dark green '98 XJ to build up....

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: First open run at mclean May 1st
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
If you need to work at 5PM, this may not be the run for you. This early in the year with the winter we've had, you're likely to see either deep slop or deep snow...and either one of those things will likely result in a long, tiring day of wheeling.

Please understand folks....we want people to ge out and have a great time wheeling...but while this is an open run, it is not a run for someone with a stock rig, or someone who's not eager to be waist-deep in muck hooking up a winch cable. There will probably be lots of folks willing to have someone ride shotgun, and it's great experience for a new wheeler to come along on a run like this. You can learn a ton about wheeling, and also about what does and doesn't work...and maybe end up saving a few dollars modifying your own rig.  :)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline comanche killer

• UberWheeler
  • Aaron
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »
I'd love to be in on this, though I do work at 5pm that day (downtown calgary restaurant). How long do we wheel for? Would I be able to leave early if I have to?

I would say the earliest we would be leaving for home would be 4:30  5ish thats with almost perfect conditions and no one getting stuck and that never happens on fish east lol   ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:48:57 PM by comanche runner »

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
I just got 33 M/t s on but still running stock suspension and bushwacker flares. I wanted to see how my gearing was off road, any huge hill climbs on this run? I did most of fisher east back in november with the club on 30 A/t and had no real issues...any thoughts?
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline comanche killer

• UberWheeler
  • Aaron
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 12:38:01 PM »
I just got 33 M/t s on but still running stock suspension and bushwacker flares. I wanted to see how my gearing was off road, any huge hill climbs on this run? I did most of fisher east back in november with the club on 30 A/t and had no real issues...any thoughts?

No huge hill climbs on fish east.  
It'll be a good run. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:44:14 PM by comanche runner »

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
Tentatively in!
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
Just googled it as far as I know the gates should be open for us.

Yea I am more wondering cause I'm thinking of camping on sat April 30th and then probably meet you guys in the morning out there
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »

you should probably go make sure your tires fit before wheeling.  33s on a stock TJ usually means you will be rubbing if you take your sway bars off or go over something bigger than a speed bump.   just cause they 'fit' doesn't mean they fit.  make sense? 

find a place to stuff the tires in the wheel wells and make sure they clearance, and turn the wheels.  you don't want to find out they don't fit after you slice off a lug or two.....

and maybe put a snorkel on that thing ;)  those holes will be deeeeeep  ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »
I have bushwacker flat flares on so not to worries there, but a test on steering would be a good idea!