Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: rancho steering stabilizer  (Read 8479 times)

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: rancho steering stabilizer
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
go hit Deerfoot North; specifically go over the calfrope bridge doing 100km/h

thats the best place in the city to find deathwobble ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 08:11:27 AM »
Really? I have no problems there, all my death comes from the onramp to mcloude heading west off of glenmore. No where else yet for me.

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »
Lol, that were i got my first Death Wobble on the right hand lane doing 110.

I am at work now, i take deerfoot every day to work and nothing, i did the same lane same spot were it happened and nothing. I hope it will never ever happen again but things tend to break ;D
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
So if I need to replace the tract bar and steering stabilizer, buying them from Currie or Clayton would be an improvement in quality and durability?

An improvement over what? What's on there right now?

Both Clayton and Currie make stout adjustable track bars. I would buy either one without hesitation. That said, I'm running JKS front and rear adjsutables and have had no issues despite some reasonably rough use.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Tagg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
I have a RE short arm 3 1/2" lift kit. 
08 Rubicon

Offline Tagg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:57 PM »
So I pulled off the steering stabilizer and the first inch or so went in and out without resistance. I'm assuming that is shot.
I took off the track bar also because E-Mortal said they thought it was the problem.  Is there any way to tell if there is a problem with it?
Do the bolts need to be replaced with a new track bar? The old bolts look good with no rust.
Looks like the new currie track bar is 2 - 3 weeks away.
I hope these are not dumb questions. I couldn't find answers in the manual.
08 Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
Took off the track bar? As in you're driving it without a front track bar right now? Not something that I'd be keen to do myself. I have a stock track bar that it quite functional if you need to borrow one until your replacement arrives. Your axle would be off center, but at least it'd stay there.

If I was replacing my track bar, I'd use new bolts...but that's just me.

I honestly don't know if that one inch of easy travel is a big issue if it's only at the very outside end of the stroke. Bear in mind that the idea of a steering stabilizer is essentially the same as a shock absorber...it simply slows the side to side action of the steering system.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Tagg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
No I assumed it probably is unsafe without the track bar.  It will sit in the garage until I get a new one.
Thanks for all the feed back Todd, and that torque chart too.  I downloaded it and printed it out for future reference.
My manual doesn't always give that info.
Re: The track bar fastening bolt.  The bolt I took out (not the original) was threaded all the way to the head.  Do you think the oem bolt is the same
or only at the end?  The torque spec is 125 lbs so maybe it doesn't matter?  The nut has a tab welded on so it can be tightned from only one side. That probably a good thing?
08 Rubicon

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 07:56:20 AM »
#2. Do yourself a favour and do not put cam bolts onto your rig. If you are off-roading at all, it is very unlikely that they will stay correctly adjusted. Please do yourself a favour and get a GOOD QUALITY set of adjustable control arm (Currie or Clayton). This will allow you to get your caster into the right range.

What about the Daystar Control arms are they any good?
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »
Personally, I'll spende a few extra dollars and buy Currie or Clayton control arms. The price difference is not all that big, and nobody that I know is sorry for having purchased a first part set of control arms.

I can't say the same for the cheaper alternatives.

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 09:43:28 AM »
OK so i am in proces of paying off my mistake and getting the money for the arms. Now do i need only the front lower arms or the lower rear too?
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 11:05:56 AM »
With the amount of lift that you are running, I would do the front lowers and call it good. That will allow you to set your caster, and they're relatively easy to install (unlike the front uppers). Just remember that one end of them will need to be greased on a regular basis (either at every oil change, or after each wheeling trip)

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »
Thanks
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline AMCJeep

• Budget Lift
  • Wheel, break, fix, repeat ...
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »
JP Magazine just posted up a blog on this very subject but I agree, get some adjustable arms.
http://blogs.jpmagazine.com/6759735/editorials/07-up-jeep-wrangler-jk-death-wobble/index.html
09 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Sunburst Orange
90 YJ AKA Papa Smurf"4.2, AX15, Completely unmolested
03 Ram 2500 QC, LB, 5.9 CTD

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »
That is true. I got a new damper rusty's and it is just about clearing with out rubbing. I do notice now some vibretion from the front when I go over 100kh more or so. It fills like the tires needs to be balanced. It is stil there when I put it n N when I drive. It sucks one thing after another. But it is good cuz I learn on the go when it being fixed.
1996 jeep cherokee.