Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: rancho steering stabilizer  (Read 8477 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: rancho steering stabilizer
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 10:57:52 PM »
JP Magazine just posted up a blog on this very subject but I agree, get some adjustable arms.
http://blogs.jpmagazine.com/6759735/editorials/07-up-jeep-wrangler-jk-death-wobble/index.html

I just read that. Instead of fixing his problem, he hid it. Classy  ;)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
So after having this cam pinion bolts it have ben less then 30 days with out goi.g off road my second death woble started to happen. Went to chanda to talk to jay after shawn recomended him. I got teraflex lower control arms. The nute was and the bolt was loose and was stripping. So as all of u guys said it will happen well it did. Now with the arms it is amazing drive!!!!. From now and on I ask opinions first and then listen to the shop people.
Thank guys for the info. Oh and now I am gettimg tires duratracs. Can not wait.
Anton
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
Glad everything is working out. Live and learn is all part of the process. Anyone on here who says they haven't had any goof ups is lying; part of the process and part of the fun! X2 on the TF LCAs. I'm really happy with mine. I have them set at 23 and 1/8 length and it works out to a Castor angle of about 6 degrees. Love it.
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
Ya the drive was sweet nice and solid!!! Still have some bumps in the steering wheel. But a lot beter.
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »
Ya the drive was sweet nice and solid!!! Still have some bumps in the steering wheel. But a lot beter.

If you've gone to larger tires and a lift (I know you have a lift) you're going to experience some bump steer unless you've adressed the geometry of your drag link and track bar. Unless those two are pretty much parallel, you will experience some bump steer. As long as it's not too bad, I wouldn't get too excited about it.

I'm glad that this worked out for you, and that you got the right advice from someone that knows there stuff and tells it like it is - and that you have the right parts in place now.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 08:34:06 PM »
So I got the tires goodyear duratracs very happy with them wow what q ride. So u said not to worry about small steering bumps. Now when is it bad?
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
So I got the tires goodyear duratracs very happy with them wow what q ride. So u said not to worry about small steering bumps. Now when is it bad?

I'm glad you like the Duratracs - I run them as my winter tire, and I think you'll be very happy with them.

As far as bump steer goes, I don't know how to describe how much you should be experiencing. A lifted rig isn't going to handle like a sports car...but it shouldn't be difficult to keep it centered in your lane on the Deerfoot either. Understand that you will get more bump steer than stock, but if it doesn't make driving difficult, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »
Well the drivig is not but it is slight anoying at each bumb the steeeing wheel moves abit left or right and slight vibs. I am just thinking how bad it will be on a gravel road to goust lake camp ground, well I guss I will see. Thanks for the good rplays u guys are good people so far 2 people Shawn and Aron helped me so much and they only met me ones. I am verey great full. And all the advices that I get here. Thanks
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
That sounds like "normal" increased bump steer from larger tires and a lift that does not adress track bar/drag link geometry. Even if you had purchased a lift with an adjustable track bar, it would not correct the bump steer. There are thing that you can do to reduce that bump steer, but I wouldn't worry about it for the time being...mostly because if you let ME tell you what to put on your rig, you'll end up with a hydro assist by the time you're done "fixing" your steering  ;D