Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Bicycles are legal on the road, and illegal on sidewalk  (Read 7189 times)

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
Bicycles are legal on the road, and illegal on sidewalk
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:44 AM »
Just so ya know.

They are legal on every road in Calgary, except Deerfoot and the restricted times on Stephen Avenue (8th Ave).

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Bicycles are legal on the road, and illegal on sidewalk
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
its also ok for a cyclist to run a red light, pass traffic on a sidewalk to get to the front of the line, they can pass you on the right hand side of a right hand turn lane, and generally disrupt traffic too.  but i guess its not like you can take away their drivers license ;)  they aren't driving a car right?

i hate cyclists in this city. follow one set of rules.  either traffic or pedestrian.  sick and tired of almost waxing cyclists day in and day out in DT Calgary because one second they follow traffic rules, next they're pedestrians. 
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
if they are not off thier bike at a pedestrian crossing ... I never stop for them.

Offline kidl33t

• Stocker
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
if they are not off thier bike at a pedestrian crossing ... I never stop for them.

You're bolder than me.  I've almost hit those damn couriers DT about a thousand times.  They pass me on the right, while I am turning right, at 40km/h and are surprised when I don't notice them.  FFS

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
I used to ride religiously until I bought a jeep. Then the bike was no longer the money pit the jeep became. I cant recall how many times I was stopped by CPS and asked to get off the sidewalk. It was a lot. I will still to this day ride on the sidewalk but courteously to pedestrians. I am courteous to cyclists on the road when in my jeep, but to ride a bike on calgarys narrow lane streets, you have to have a deathwish.. Ive never been ticketed yet which knock on wood I never will be. I asked the officer one time if he would be gutsy enough to ride on the road where I was and he even agreed with me that he wouldnt... Though yes its the law. Its also law to have a bell and a helmet on the bike paths. Neither of which ive followed either, tho the helmet really is common sense now a days :) I dont have much of that left it seems.. After all, I did buy a Jeep..
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 05:59:06 PM »
i ride my bikes a decent amount on the streets. for some dumb reason i enjoy riding amongst traffic. i used to do a lot more riding back home and a lot of it was downtown. i dont run red lights or stop signs. but i sure will pass on the right but give the cars room to turn if they need to. i ride on the sidewalk too cause its faster sometimes. im sure i squirt drivers off, but i could care less. get off your lazy arse and ride a bike :P
my drive to work was 9 minutes. now with deerfoot/blackfoot/glenmore backed up its more like 30-40 minutes every day. so ive been riding more.
yes ive heard all the complaints before but i use my head when i ride.

;D
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline SOMETHING WICKED

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
Around the city is one thing. I came home today from Watervalley, heading East bound on TR292. This is a paved back road, generaly not too busy,with NO shoulders! The speed limit is 80k. I live on an acreage North of Crossfield. There was  Big MS bike thing going on, GREAT cuase. But, what TOTALLY upsets me, is these Spandex wearing, toffu farting, granola eating, tree hugging, douche bags, have to ride right down the middle of the road, sometimes 4 wide, with ON-COMING traffic! I did sound my horn, just long enough to let them know I was there, and none of them even looked, let alone moved over to the edge of the lane to ride single file. It should be legal to run them off the road.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:48:06 AM »
It's one day of the year dude.  Would you rather they rode down the #2?    BTW it's legal to "own" your lane... If I'm on a bike or a motorcycle and I'm travelling down the highway .... I have a right to the lane I'm in.  If you wish to pass me you can do it when it is safe and legal to do so.   Just like you would if you came up on a piece of slow moving farm equipment.  Or maybe you're one of those no-teeth, tobacco chawing, sister loving, no bathing, barely literate inbred fuctards that would pass in the ditch honking and swearing and throwing empty cans of Lucky at the farmer?   Like I said... it's one day of the year... and 80km/h is the LIMIT ... not the minimum.

Also... I'm sure the stereo typing was meant in fun... but it doesn't help our cause when people stereo type us... just as it doesn't serve you well to stereo type some guy pedaling a bike down a road.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:48:50 AM »
I think Tim's point was that they were riding 4 wide as opposed to cutting it back to single file so traffic can safely pass them. That cheeses me off as well. Usally happens to me when I'm trying to get somewhere for my grass cutting company on a rural road and they're out for a Sunday bike ride.

I'm already jealous that your enjoying the day while I have to work, no need to rub it in!

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »
Totally understand it can be annoying... just figure the stereotyping doesn't help us... nor does the "legal to run them off the road" comment.   Best scenario is all road users are courteous (and yes my world is a happy place where all is good).
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline SOMETHING WICKED

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
I know it's only one day of the year. But these guys are Dicks, every day of the year, it's a condition. I know, I suffer from a similiar condition, I call a spade a spade. And yes, I would MUCH rather they rode down #2. At least it has a shoulder, not just a white line then ditch, where they can safely ride 2 wide and BS. It also has 2 lanes, where you can pass on the inside lane, same as I would for a broke down vehicle on the shoulder. Well maybe my stereo typical comments seem a bit harsh, but it is the out right arrogance of these guys that irritate the living crap out of me. It is the SAME arrogance, that is used by people who don't even use, enjoy, or respect our off-road areas, but feel the need to remove us all from them. And yes, I do know, VERY WELL, that it's always a few in the crowd, any crowd, that spoil it for all. You can see that any long weekend in the bush. And I don't mind sharing the road, however, these paricular types Should be run off the road to learn then a little respect and courtesy for others. The SAME type of treatment I'd be happy to dispense to some jack-arse out in the bush, if I caught him throwing out garbage on trail or ripping an off-trail area to crap, and knew better. PS...I just so happen to still have all my teeth, don't chew or smoke, and chances are, I went to school with that farmer and he'd be more than happy to pull over and have a Lucky with me. If that's the only crap we had.  ;) Peace out.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Traktor

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »
I don't believe it is the biker's fault they have a bad rap, it is the roads they use (except the 4 wide, that's rude). Sure Calgary has a decent trail system but the shared roads are complete bull! Especially in the downtown core.

I commuted in the saddle for years, I hated the cars and their drivers. I drove a big truck downtown for years, I hated the couriers and their attitude. I challenge anyone to "pedal a mile in their shoes" before laying the hate. Seriously, bike those same roads, follow all those rules you say bikers get to choose, just for a few hours, and if you can do it without cursing at least one motorist I salute you.

BTW, I'm stealing your line fug.
1995 Cherokee Country (Kaw-liga) - Way too much chrome, but just enough red.

Offline xjpete

• Baby Wheeler
  • New ride
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 10:59:23 AM »
The Alberta Traffic Safety Act defines the bicycle as a vehicle. When traveling on the road, cyclists have all of the same rights and responsibilities as a motor vehicle. To operate safely in traffic, all road users including cyclists, must obey the same road rules.
97 XJ,8'' LA ,35's , SBC .
98 ZJ daily driver .

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »
The Alberta Traffic Safety Act defines the bicycle as a vehicle. When traveling on the road, cyclists have all of the same rights and responsibilities as a motor vehicle. To operate safely in traffic, all road users including cyclists, must obey the same road rules.

And they should also be required to carry liability insurance.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title