Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2002 Tj Stock Upgrade time!  (Read 3184 times)

Offline armi101

• Stocker
2002 Tj Stock Upgrade time!
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
Hello gentlemen and ladies,

Just signed up to the forum today. I've got a stock 2002 jeep tj with a Kargo Master roof rack with about 110K. I was planing on selling my ride, but instead I've decided to do some modifications. I'll probably keep my jeep for ever! Currently I only use it for commute, and for camping, hiking, and fishing. Sometimes I tow my boat on the trailer...needless to say. Ever since I got it in 02' I've wanted to do some modifications but I have been stopped by the cost and my better half. Finally, she agrees.

What to do?
My thoughts at this time are,...in order

New Replacement Soft top
Smitty built I-Rack
Bestop underseat storage
A couple of trail lights with rack mount.
Small lift 2"
Bigger tires,
Maybe a different bumper....

Basically I'm not sure what to do, other than some cosmetic changes. I don't need a mudbogger, but I'd like it to be more aggressive, both internal and external. I need some suggestions. Any and all are appreciated.

Graham

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
Re: 2002 Tj Stock Upgrade time!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
well all that sounds good and cheap and easy bolt on stuff

shop on ebay or better yet northridge4x4 can help you out for sure

better post pics of your build
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline armi101

• Stocker
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:46:06 PM »
Figured more people could give me tips... oh well.

I've done some work. If there is anyone outthere

Completely removed the Kargo master roof rack and clean up all the rust. Re-painted with black roll bar paint.
Added bush lights to the stock bumper.
Ordered black bar side step (ebay)
ordered jeep offroad rocker switch (ebay)
ordered soft top fast removal bolts (ebay)
installed jeep instatrunk....not sure if this will last yet. But for the time being, I'll try it out.

More to come.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:00:01 AM »
get some pics up and im sure youll have more people giving you advice and a bit of guidence .

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
Figured more people could give me tips... oh well.

I've done some work. If there is anyone outthere

Completely removed the Kargo master roof rack and clean up all the rust. Re-painted with black roll bar paint.
Added bush lights to the stock bumper.
Ordered black bar side step (ebay)
ordered jeep offroad rocker switch (ebay)
ordered soft top fast removal bolts (ebay)
installed jeep instatrunk....not sure if this will last yet. But for the time being, I'll try it out.

More to come.

I think one of the reasons you haven't got a ton of responses is most of what your suggesting is cosmetic.   It's a matter of taste.  If you want a new soft top or some storage then who am I to say not to bother... it's a matter of taste.    If you ask specifically what lift or what tires and tell us what you plan to do ... I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions.  I personally wouldn't bother with side steps... as I think they look crappy and offer no real protection and get hung up on everything when offroad but if you want them... then have at it.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
I agree with Fug, ditch the side steps.  Automatic or manual?  I would go flat fenders, 2" body lift, 33's on offset rims, rear lock-rite.  All depends on your engine/tranny/gear ratio.  If you put bigger tires on you'll have a tough time with a trailer.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 07:32:47 PM »
  If you put bigger tires on you'll have a tough time with a trailer.

Yep.  I cant pull my tent trailer anymore without beating the crap out of my tranny.  Maybe if I regeared to 4:56 but if I go camping I take the work truck and the girlfriend drives the Jeep....She got a mud flap ticket the last time she drove it out.   :P

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
She got a mud flap ticket the last time she drove it out.   :P

And maaaaaan, was she mad at you!!!! I pointed at my mudflaps, then laughed at her.... then she drove over and began to vent....
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!