Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: zj steering box upgrade  (Read 1607 times)

Offline newfie glass

• UberWheeler
zj steering box upgrade
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »
so after a couple new pairs of undies and some investigation to my DW issue i found my steering box had a 1/4" or better of play. So i figure why replace with stock parts if there is a better option. Been doing some research about the durango steering box swap. Has anyone done this before that could chime in?
Quality Paintless dent repair
403-807-1042

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
Re: zj steering box upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
I have done it a few times on a TJ. Easy upgrade. Make sure you get one off a truck with snow plow package or HD package, otherwise I believe they're the same as TJ. The TJ steering skid plates also still fit over them. We bought a couple at a junkyard in Helena, Montana last year for US$90 each. This side of the border I've paid about $200 - but they're likely more plentiful and cheaper now.
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline afb

• Budget Lift
Re: zj steering box upgrade
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »
I just put one on my yj and yes the regular 98 durango box has more power than a stock tj/ yj box by far. If you have bigger tires get the upgrade pump from national4wd it pushes more fluid on lower rpm's. Pick n pull has 1 98 durango with the box still in it last time I was there. The 98 dakota 4x4 box is also the same one.

Oh ya its a direct fir onto the stock brackets.
'93 yj 2.5 with all the engine mods done so I can beat a kid on a tricycle in a race.