Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New Jeep Trailer  (Read 5346 times)

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
New Jeep Trailer
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:53:24 AM »
You have inspired me to build up a trailer for our Jeep... also my wife can't understand Pack Lightly..!!!!   I hope this photobucket link works...http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/dsslade/.   This trailer was a $100.00 very well traveled Kmart special.  This thing has bumper stickers from Alaska down to Disneyland.  I was going to rebuild the box too, but the stickers are kind of cool with the history and all... they start from the mid 80's.    

I talked with Steve at Specialty Tire and ordered up a custom made axle.  55.5 inches hub face to hub face... 2000 pound axle with springs and hanger hardware for $185.00 tax in.  Standens made it.. took three days...  wow...   Hired a welder off Kijiji for about $80.00....   The guy did a good job.  Now with the warmer weather I can prep and paint the frame.   Jeep rims and tires are at Alberta Wheel getting the tapered end of the center hole drilled out.  That should be about another $100.00       So far so good.    8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:57:14 AM by scott slade »
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims
HD Broadcast Video Production Unit

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
Re: New Jeep Trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
Today i got the wheels back from Alberta Wheel.  They did a great job.   When I mounted the rims to my new axle, I saw that it sat way to high compared to the stock ride height of the Jeep.  So a quick axle position swap... dropped it down to a nice level, new pictures are on the photobucket link.  Next comes the fenders,lights, wires,paint and a new coupling.......  Thanks for looking in... ;D   ps.  might make the tongue longer on it... any thoughts from other trailer owners out there...???? :-\
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
 A few things to ponder for you.  Can you see it in your mirrors?  If you jack knife it, will it hit the jeep?  Have you tried backing it up yet? A longer tongue will make it easier to back up, maybe see it in your mirrors, and less likely to damage the body if you jack knife it. 
But its looking good man. 

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:50:47 AM »
When I brought it home it was a pain to back up..  I thought it was those little eight inch wheels....  and I could not see it in the mirrors.  So thats why these little trailers have a long tongue on them.   Off to the metal shop I go.....!!!!  Thanks.    :)
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:34 AM »
As well have you figgured out what you are going to use for tie downs?  gonna run a tarp over it,  tie downs for it?  tongue box?  Spare tire mounts, gas cans,  maybe so of the longer trail spares,lots of options for a trailer.

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
No tarp or tie downs... It will stay open top with the fold down rear gate to keep it multi purpose. Locking water proof boxes bolted to frame for luggage... Then removed when not needed. New fenders and gas can mounts next month. As well as the wires and lights. Longer tongue will also hold lock box.  Stay tuned...and thanks for the thoughts...:-)
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »
Almost done....   Bought a couple of fenders from Princess Auto and painted them to match the Jeep, Installed the gas can holder on the front. I uploaded some new pictures to the Photobucket link.  Since those pictures were taken I finished the floor with 3/4 plywood and installed a new light kit and wires.  Also found a fibreglass roof top cargo carrier to put in the trailer for our luggage, that can bolt in and out.  When not halling luggage it will stay an open top with drop down tail gate for real camping trips etc etc....   Sure doesn't look like it did back in 1991 when it was bought from K-Mart...!!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:44:57 AM by scott slade »
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
Quick question about this. For this kind of trailer would you need to buy insurance and what not (ie license plate, get lights on it that work etc etc.)...It seems so small that it wouldnt matter really but Im sure you do....just asking cus I want one myself ;)
looks awesome!

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
The bed of this trailer is 48 long by 40 wide. The wheel base hub to hub is 55 inches.  So not really that small.   It now has full functioning lights,  and a registered licence plate.  I contacted my insurance agent and told them about it, they said it is covered by the Jeep's insurance.  Just showed my bill of sale and got a plate for it.  The cost of the plate was more than I spent to buy the original trailer..>!!!!!    So yes it is big enough to be registered and needs lights like any other trailer on the road.   Go for it...  buy or build one...!!!!    By the way,  it's a little bouncy when it's empty..!!!!!!
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
ah right on thanks for the advice....might steal some ideas from a few threads on here if I ever get around to building one ;)

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
ah right on thanks for the advice....might steal some ideas from a few threads on here if I ever get around to building one ;)

Some more advice ;)
Make sure your axle will handle the larger tires and weight rating, as once you start building up, your no longer within the stock tolerances....

A picture is worth a thousand words!

I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
The Picture tells the story... wow...   Glad I installed a new 2000 pound axle and springs.... over kill, but better than that picture....  sorry to see that. 
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims