Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: JK Wobble - Questions  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
JK Wobble - Questions
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »
Hoping to get under the wife's Jeep either tonight or tomorrow morning (depends on how the riders play tonight) hoping it will be the track bar.

Its a stock 07 unlimited, with 266/75 tires.

Tires have approx 2000k on them
New stabilizer (old one was completely seized and need to be replaced)

So far all components look to be in good shape, (I need to take the track bar off and look to see if there is any ovaling in the bracket mounts) however the tie rod bushings appear to be "loose" allowing the entire setup to rock back and forth very easily.

Is it normal for the tie rods to sit loose like this?
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
Re: JK Wobble - Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
Both of my JK's tierods seems to be pretty easy to rock front to back and neither has a wobble.  I believe that trackbar mount oval'ing is the main culprit. But I could be wrong..

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:59:08 AM »
Hoping to get under the wife's Jeep either tonight or tomorrow morning (depends on how the riders play tonight) hoping it will be the track bar.

Its a stock 07 unlimited, with 266/75 tires.

Tires have approx 2000k on them
New stabilizer (old one was completely seized and need to be replaced)

So far all components look to be in good shape, (I need to take the track bar off and look to see if there is any ovaling in the bracket mounts) however the tie rod bushings appear to be "loose" allowing the entire setup to rock back and forth very easily.

Is it normal for the tie rods to sit loose like this?

get the missus to rock the steering wheel back and forth and look for play at both track bar ends.  if they are ovalled you should see movement
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:23:38 AM »
Both of my JK's tierods seems to be pretty easy to rock front to back and neither has a wobble.  I believe that trackbar mount oval'ing is the main culprit. But I could be wrong..

Do you mean "both of your jk's track bars"?

And yes - if you are suffering from true death wobble (whichwill feel like your jeep is trying to rip itself to pieces), then a loose track bar or ovalized track bar mouting holes that allow lateral oscillation of the axle in relation to the frame are the likely culprits. You'd probably do yourself a favour by taking a torque wrench to everything in the front end.

Just make sure that you've got weight on the wheels when you re-torque the track bar bolts.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »

And yes - if you are suffering from true death wobble (whichwill feel like your jeep is trying to rip itself to pieces), then a loose track bar or ovalized track bar mouting holes that allow lateral oscillation of the axle in relation to the frame are the likely culprits. You'd probably do yourself a favour by taking a torque wrench to everything in the front end.

Just make sure that you've got weight on the wheels when you re-torque the track bar bolts.

I meant the two JK's that are sitting downstairs.. JKU Sahara and a JK Rubicon.

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 08:11:10 AM »

Both ends of the tierod... After spending a little time under the jeep Saturdy it appears that the ends may be toast as they allow enough front to back play to have the tierod swing and hit other components.

Track bar looks good no wallowing and bolts are torqued to 125. I will upgrade the tierod, if that doesn't solve it I will probably look at the track bar next, then start considering lift with new control arms.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”