Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Angry Sparrows under my Rubicon !  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
Angry Sparrows under my Rubicon !
« on: August 25, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »
Anyone have the part number for the CV centering ball on the front d/s of an 06 Rubicon?
and a source?
thanks
Brad
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Re: Angry Sparrows under my Rubicon !
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
I got mine from Pats driveline, make sure your order the greasable CV section so you never have take it apart for a long time, just grease it. I am pretty sure you can just talk to them and they will find the right part for you. They are familiar with jeeps

Edit

This is the write up I used, it has some part #'s as well

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driveshaft/driveshaft-5.htm

My driveshaft actually just started making noises again this past weekend, removed it, greased it, no problems.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:20:30 PM by Jrama »

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
they make greaseble centers .. they didnt sell me that ..    damn ..
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »
I got mine from Pats driveline, make sure your order the greasable CV section so you never have take it apart for a long time, just grease it. I am pretty sure you can just talk to them and they will find the right part for you. They are familiar with jeeps

Edit

This is the write up I used, it has some part #'s as well

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driveshaft/driveshaft-5.htm

My driveshaft actually just started making noises again this past weekend, removed it, greased it, no problems.

Do you remember what they charged you?
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
I don't specifically remember, but I am pretty sure it came out in the high 80's for the CV section and the greasable u joints were under 15 each

It is worth mentioning that you should get a couple spare U joints. More than likely you will crack or destroy the original U joints little crappy plastic shielding while removing them or greasing them. The greasable joints have a softer rubber like shielding that is much harder to destroy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:10:28 PM by Jrama »

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
I had similar electrical problems. The a new batter fixed it for 4 months, then I rebuilt the alternator, and it did nothing.

Turned out to be a started.

Give your started a couple whacks with a hammer and see if it comes to life. Temp fix, but might get you up and running and identify the problem at the same time.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:46:07 PM »
I had similar electrical problems. The a new batter fixed it for 4 months, then I rebuilt the alternator, and it did nothing.

Turned out to be a started.

Give your started a couple whacks with a hammer and see if it comes to life. Temp fix, but might get you up and running and identify the problem at the same time.

Wrong thread, but don't wack the starter on a TJ with a hammer, depending on where and how hard you hit it you could break the magnets inside. your better of removing it and having a look inside, maybe it is just dirty, but from the sounds of it your brushes either aren't making contact or you have a solenoid that is shot...I just finished diagnosing and replacing my starter a couple days ago...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:48:09 PM by Jrama »

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »
Wacking a starter is a tried and true method of determining if the starter is going. You are only giving it a moderate tap, not wailing on it with a sledge. Often when the brushes near the end of their life(or get full of mud) they stop making contact. Wacking the starter with a hammer cuases the brushes to extwnd out a bit farther and make contact. Pretty handy trick when stuck out somewhere to get you home.

If it works then you can safely assume that the stater is on its way out and should be replaced. However note that just because it doesn't work doesn't mean that the starter is good.

This trick sometimes also works on alternators that have mud in them. XJs......

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles