Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Want to learn how to weld? *****UPDATE*****  (Read 9759 times)

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
Re: Want to learn how to weld?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
Cmon now. Lol ;)...I may steal some of my fab ideas and tech from other high end companies. ..but atleast I have the schooling and experience to back up what I build.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:00:43 PM by apeman »
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »
Ok. I would like to get some info in TIG welding. Trial and error are gonna be my teachers either way..... ::)
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 11:43:21 PM »
If you want a tutorial on tig I have my b ticket..tig stainless./ all position pipe..an yet I have no inclination to weld pipe ar all...structural is my gig. .if you want to truly use TIG,I can show you. Its an art that requires both hands and good understanding of fusion. Not something anyone will learn in 8 hours.

Offline Shearcon79

• Budget Lift
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 05:54:07 AM »
Now how can I turn down an offer like that? I would love a tutorial. I have watched a few videos on youtube but there is nothing like hands on training. ;D
Green 94 4.0 YJ :
4.5" RE Extreme Duty
33x12.5 MTZ's on 15x8 Black Steelies
Tera-flex Super Short SYE
Drive Products CV Driveshaft
Swing-away Tire Carrier/Bumper/Hitch
Found D44's out of a Waggy...Just need to build them

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 08:05:42 AM »
Tig is definitely an art, I have been told that it is closer to brazing then welding with mig or arc.

This post was to get interest, I still have to speak with the hall to figure out what the course will entail and how many classes we wl have along with cost and length etc.

I have left them another message and sent them an email, when I hear something I will keep you posted.

And as apeman said, we are not going to be pros overnight, put practice makes perfect!  And to have the basic fundamentals and skills to weld will help make the practice perfection!
06 wk-soccer mom mobile aka Betty J
99 xj- Black Betty, 2" OME lift
94 yj- needs to be lifted aka Betty Rubble

Stupid hurts

Offline Gorg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »
'15 Ram 1500 Express
'06 Audi A4 B7 quattro
'08 Jeep XK Limited
'06 Jeep TJ Sport
'99 Jeep XJ Sport

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
Whether you become pro's ot not..good on everyone willing to give it a shot.... I think its a great step towards a better understanding of what goes into what we fab or buy.  And it will definitely help in a pinch on the trails.

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
Re: Want to learn how to weld? *****UPDATE*****
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
See the original post for update.

Stupid hurts

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
Who do we bring the money to and is there a tax recept and when will we know a firm price? Am very keen on learning how to mig weld. Lesson includes migging sheet metal as well and basics of different positions like overhead?

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
****Update****

I have spoken with Ken Jones this morning on the welding course.

I will have firm pricing on costs as of early next week.  It is estimated that the cost will be between $150-$200 per person which will cover materials and instructor for an eight hour class on a Saturday.

They have room for 14 students at a time, each will have their own welder and bench.

This will be a hands on introductory welding class using a mig welder.  He has asked what kind if stuff we would like covered, I said we would like to learn how to weld metal plate up to 1/4", round tubing for roll cages and bumpers/ fenders etc., as well as light gauge metal for body panels and such.  If you have more suggestions please speak up.

The instructor is a retired journeyman welder by trade, and comes out of retirement so us jeepers can improve our fab skills.

Providing there is enough interest, more advanced courses can and will be provided, we will discuss that after the first course.

I would think that we should put a deposit down (when price and dates are finalized), as we all now lots of people will say "I'm there man", but may not show up.

Ken is willing to put on more then one course for this, if there is more interest, there is more courses.

I will keep you all posted!

Good morning everyone,

While shopping at Jackstandjohnny's house of jeeps we got into the subject of learning how to weld and thought wouldn't it be nice to get a bunch of the jeep community out to learn how to weld so we can all start to build and fix our jeeps a bit better.

So I spoke with the local pipe union here in which I am affiliated with, who happens to have a nice shop set up in calgary with workstations and welders, as well as an instructor.

They would be happy to have the folks from the cja down to put on a course so we can learn how to weld.

Now please note that I am not a member of the cja as of yet, and this is not a course put on by the cja, I'm just a guy who loves wrenching and would like to broaden my skills so I can tinker more with my own money pits.

In order to get this course going, I need to see who would be interested so I can get numbers, pricing, duration, dates, times excetera from the union hall.

If this is something that you fellow jeepers would be interested in, please let me know by replying to this post or sending me a message.

If you happen to be an executive and have any thoughts on how to make this better or such, please feel free to let me know.

Once again, I am not a person of authority in the cja, I just thought I'd extend an invitation to the jeep community.

ask if he has experience with automotive welding and fabrication. the course would be about welding but having the background knowledge for automotive and fab could lead everyone to proper structural reapair and fabrication.

YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Black Betty

• UberWheeler
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
I don't think he has automotive welding experience, but you never know, I will ask when they call next week.

As for the deposit, not too sure how we could do that just yet, maybe have a mid week get together, or set it up so that you could drop by the hall, not sure yet.

I'm sure a reciept of some sort will provided.

Stupid hurts

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
Can't do saturdays. Ever. Unless its a long weekend.

Offline jeepgrl

• UberWheeler
  • All those JKs are starting to look the same...
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
My hubby is definitely interested... put me on the 'list'.
Current project:
2012 2-door Orange Crush JK
AEV 3.5" lift
33" Mikey Thompson MTZ
Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers
Warn VR800 winch

BUILT AND SOLD: Silver 2007 JKU (because they all look the same now anyway)

Offline LLYJ

• UberWheeler
  • carport ghetto fab
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I could use some training in all position on the mig

Please sign me up, and if a deposit is required could you please pm an address so I could mail mine in, if possible. Thanks
51 Willys CJ3A - V6, SM420, T18, D44/27 lockers
93 YJ, starting to see light at the end of the carport
98 ZJ, 5.2l - DD with too many go go gadgets
05 Dodge 2500HD hauler

Offline skyhy

• Winch Wench
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
If there is still room here I would love to participate!