Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: JK Stroker...  (Read 4309 times)

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
JK Stroker...
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
slightly cheaper solution then a supercharger or hemi swap.  Don't see any Dyno specs yet though.

http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=208883&catId=23139

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Re: JK Stroker...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
Huh.... something about stroking a mini van motor  just lacks appeal to me.

Edit* It better produce a decent premium over the (new) stock 3.6 in terms of power output?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:11:55 PM by Jrama »

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »
if your paying that much you mine as well swap in a 4.0 and have a realy engine in the JK

why havent we seen anyone yet swap a inline 6 into those .

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
if your paying that much you mine as well swap in a 4.0 and have a realy engine in the JK

why havent we seen anyone yet swap a inline 6 into those .

because its a waste of time and only an idiot would swap in a motor with less power.......................   ;)

just regear the JK and it'd be just fine
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »
from what ive seen those JK motors are junk .. just saying my 4.0 hasnt let me down ..
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:08:49 PM »
as a heads up, the new 2012 jk's with the new 3.6L v6 should be on dealer lots now. i know Big 4 has a few allready. when i get back from vacation ill test drive one to see what its like. some reviews ive read have been real positive. the new auto trans is a 5 sped and i think the stick hasnt changed.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »
I'd rather get a supercharger on the 3.8 than putting in a stroker kit.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »
because its a waste of time and only an idiot would swap in a motor with less power.......................   ;)

just regear the JK and it'd be just fine

They have slightly higher "rated hp" but driving down the highway at 3500 rpm in a stock jk to hold 125kph does not feel like "more power".

The lack of torque, and well known durability issues with oil consumption pretty much make the recent jk motor an epic fail in my book.

having owned for the last year and a bit, I would take the 4 litre over the shitty 3.8 any day of the week.

Here's to high hopes for the new motor coming out................
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
They have slightly higher "rated hp" but driving down the highway at 3500 rpm in a stock jk to hold 125kph does not feel like "more power".

The lack of torque, and well known durability issues with oil consumption pretty much make the recent jk motor an epic fail in my book.

having owned for the last year and a bit, I would take the 4 litre over the shitty 3.8 any day of the week.

Here's to high hopes for the new motor coming out................

I wouldn't hold your breath on the Pentastar.  I'll get a new one once Fiat puts one of their diesels into a Wrangler.  Which some say will be the 2013 or 14 model years.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »
The Pentastar feels much better then the current 3.8,  I don't know if it is just the engine or the combination with the new Auto tranny.  Still has most of its power in the upper rpm range though.

I don't know that I would be holding my breath on a diesel either though...

This is another option; http://www.riverraider.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=156

Is the 4BT a good engine?

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
The Pentastar feels much better then the current 3.8,  I don't know if it is just the engine or the combination with the new Auto tranny.  Still has most of its power in the upper rpm range though.

I don't know that I would be holding my breath on a diesel either though...

This is another option; http://www.riverraider.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=156

Is the 4BT a good engine?

Damn rights a 4BT is good!  If they don't release a diesel in a Wrangler before I save up enough I'm getting that kit for my Jeep. Fingers crossed for 2 years.

Offline 07silverwrangler

• Winch Wench
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 08:10:37 PM »
Does anyone know if the new 3.6 is a direct swap ? It put out better numbers then the 3.8 and would probably be the cheapest option.

3.6L delivers 290 horsepower (216 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. (353 N•m) of torque at 4,800 rpm.
3.8 delivers 205 horsepower and 240 lb.-ft. of torque

85hp more and 20lb.ft then the 3.8l

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 06:30:01 AM »
If you're going to spend the money on doing an engine swap, then I'd go for a 5.7 Hemi. You'd probably spend MORE money to get a pentastar installed in your JK in place of the 3.8 than getting a 5.7 or a 6.1 would cost you.

I'm driving a Dodge 3/4 ton rental truck right now, and I'm really liking that 5.7 so far. There are enough people that want to do Hemi swaps that multiple builders have come out with kits, and there are lots of places that have experience doing Hemi swaps.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Unknown303

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »
If you're going to spend the money on doing an engine swap, then I'd go for a 5.7 Hemi. You'd probably spend MORE money to get a pentastar installed in your JK in place of the 3.8 than getting a 5.7 or a 6.1 would cost you.

I'm driving a Dodge 3/4 ton rental truck right now, and I'm really liking that 5.7 so far. There are enough people that want to do Hemi swaps that multiple builders have come out with kits, and there are lots of places that have experience doing Hemi swaps.

Werd, if you're going to swapa gasser for a gasser the Hemi is probably the best bang for your buck that you are going to get.  But might not be the best DIY job ever, but I don't see that 3.6 being that easy either.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 06:54:39 AM »
When I said "plenty of people" I was talking about shops that can do it. I happen to know a guy in Calgary that could put a hemi in your JK if that's what you're looking for....right Jay?
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(