Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon  (Read 2912 times)

RUBICON13

2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
Just picked her up on the weekend. Wish I new how to post pictures...

My thoughts (I want to be able to go on long hauls in the middle of nowhere when I retire next fall):

+2.5"OME lift
+35"Goodyear Wrangler MTRs on beadlock rims to be determined
+Poison Spider (model?) front bumper with bar to protect winch with warn vr10 winch
+ Rear bumper to be determined with swing out spare and 2"receiver tow rated
+LoD rock sliders with built-in steps
+Safari rack system to hold second spare, high lift jack, shovel and extra fuel
+ CB - suggestions?
+ Snorkel? - suggestions?
+ mods to engine? - suggestions?
+ lockable rear storage - since I will be returning to Colorado I will be carrying several guns
+anything I haven't thought of? Suggestions very welcome...

Once I have decided what I want built I am going to have someone local build it this winter. So, if you are a local person that can do this feal free to pm me with ideas and quotes.

Thanks!

Jeff

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »
Most of what you've got in mind will work just fine....but I do have some input for you:

-If you're looking for long-range independent travel, you may want to look at a full-width bumper (LOD, AEV, or something similar) as opposed to a more stubby bumper. I like my narrower bumpers and the approach angles they give me....but you may want to prioritize protecting you Jeep parts from bambi, trees, and rocks.

-For a a rear bumper, look at the AEV and LOD bumpers and carriers. They are done in the "expedition" style. The LOD can carry your spare, two Jerry cans, and has a rack up top too. All that weight hanging out there won't help your trail performance...but that's not what you're after. The AEV comes with a built in five gallon water storage...but it's uglier than the kid that took his sister to the prom.

-Snorkel - AEV makes a reasonable one.

-Mods to engine. For what you want, either leave it stock or put in a 5.7 hemi.

-Lockable rear storage - Tuffy makes a good rear security deck for the JK. Stan carries them at Northridge.

You will want on-board air. ARB makes a good compressor.

For long jaunts to the wilderness solo, look into a HAM license and a VHF/UHF mobile rig. If you REALLY want to get into the wilderness, get an HF rig....and you can talk to Tokyo!

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

RUBICON13

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
Thanks W!

All good advice.

Yeah, I intend to fade into the mountains of Colorado where I have a house on 2100 acres and let the world deal with its problems without me. Quite frankly I'm tired of dealing with idiots. What is that long range radio you are talking about? I thought ham could transmit globally. Is it a ham radio?

Jeff

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:16:07 AM »
Not all ham radios are created equal. Confusing, eh?  ;)

VHF/UHF radios like the one I have in my Jeep are great for short and medium range use. They are comparatively light, inexpensive, small, and easy to use. You can use them to talk to others in the same general area, or you can use a repeater to relay your signal to someone who is further away from you.

HF radios are the ones that can literally "reach around the world". They tend to be more expensive, larger, heavier, pull more power, and harder to use. You certainly can set up your Jeep for HF radios, but it will probably involve quite a bit more expense than a "regular" VHF ham radio would. The other problem is that HF radio starts to require larger, more complex, and sometimes more fragile antenna setups.

There's way more information to learn on this that I can reasonably convey in one post. There's a good bunch of it available on the net. Here's a good place to start

http://www.k0bg.com/

He's writing from the point of view of operating on HF while driving down the street in a vehicle, but it's a good place to start reading because he covers many of the issues that present themselves when you start looking at operating HF out of a vehicle.

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

RUBICON13

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Thanks W!

I am aware of Ham somewhat but had never heard it referred to as UHF/VHF etc. It is apparently far easier to get a Ham license in the U.S. then here. Just one of many reasons I will be heading back there no later than next fall.

By-the-way, I have actually decided to build-up my 2007 now and see what I like and do not like and then make changes as desired when I build-up the 2012.

Jeff

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »
Looks like someone is addicted  ;D

Good on you Jeff.. good luck on the build! Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Dom

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
Thanks W!

All good advice.

Yeah, I intend to fade into the mountains of Colorado where I have a house on 2100 acres and let the world deal with its problems without me. Quite frankly I'm tired of dealing with idiots.Jeff

agreed..... gotta get all you old farts out of the way so us youngins' can fix the mess made by you baby boomers. ;) 

does said jeep have the elusive Pentastar in it?????? i am eager to see this new powerplant :)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build