Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: wireing up rigid lights  (Read 3260 times)

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
wireing up rigid lights
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:15:07 AM »
So I am looking to install four of the sr-mf flush mount lights to the jk but I was wondering if I would have to get a wire harness for the lights or could I just cut into the wire harness kit that comes with the lights and put the four on that? \I am just worried that the kit wire harness might not be up for the four lights?

Online Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: wireing up rigid lights
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »
You could always splice into the stock harness, wire to a relay that switches your ridgid lights on. Less load on the stock wiring with the desired result.
The ridgid are LEDs? Trying to wire them so the ridgids come on when you flip your high beams on?
Little more info needed.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »
You could always splice into the stock harness, wire to a relay that switches your ridgid lights on. Less load on the stock wiring with the desired result.
The ridgid are LEDs? Trying to wire them so the ridgids come on when you flip your high beams on?
Little more info needed.

Yes the lights are led so I am not so worried than the wire will be over loaded but over time somthing might happen

Online Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:33:53 AM »
I am not so worried than the wire will be over loaded
You answered your own question.
Unless I'm missing something. What do you think is going to happen?
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »
Yes the lights are led so I am not so worried than the wire will be over loaded but over time somthing might happen

#1. Use a relay that is triggered by a signal from your high beams. Works better while driving.

#2. Even if you're not going to wire them into your high beams, use a relay. The switches in your dash are not really meant to carry a lot of current.

#3. LED's use less power than than the stock headlights....so wiring for them is not a big challenge.

I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 05:11:23 AM »
I am worried that I could blow the led by wiring them up together when they come as one. But I could get around that if I did wire them both at the switch

Offline bRIBEGuy

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
I am worried that I could blow the led by wiring them up together when they come as one. But I could get around that if I did wire them both at the switch

You won't blow a LED unless you are supplying it with higher voltage then it is designed to handle.  If you splice multiple lights onto one harness, then you run the risk of either having dimmer lights or of possibly blowing a fuse.
'00 XJ Classic, 3" OME lift, 32's, custom stereo.

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:39:44 PM »
You won't blow a LED unless you are supplying it with higher voltage then it is designed to handle.  If you splice multiple lights onto one harness, then you run the risk of either having dimmer lights or of possibly blowing a fuse.

Thanks that's what I was looking for!