Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Rust Fix Up Advice  (Read 2881 times)

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
Rust Fix Up Advice
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:56:37 PM »
So the other day I noticed a bit of rust on the frame under my front bumper.  I want to take care of this before winter before it gets worse.
I ordered up the POR15 sample pack;

Then I took off the sway bar cover, sway bar and bumper and this is how it all looks;

Theres a few 1/8" deep rust spots and the original paint on the frame is starting to bubble and peel.
My question is should I just go at it with the POR15 kit or is there prep required, such as some grinding or sanding? Also should I bother covering all the accessible parts that are in view in the first image or just the rusted parts?
Thanks
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
Re: Rust Fix Up Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
I have done a lot of rust repair over the years.  #1.. do not rush the job...  #2 mask off what you don't want painted....  #3 grind away all of the loose paint and rust.  #4, apply the product and follow the directions...   I have used a product like this before with great success...  just let it dry before final paint...  looks like enough in that sample pack to do the job.  Use a good rust inhibitor primer too..  I would prime and  paint all of what you uncovered as extra insurance over the years, but just use the product sample on the major rust.... Don't rush putting it back together..!!!  let it dry...!!!   Hope this helps
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims
HD Broadcast Video Production Unit

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »
Thanks Scott! Any advice on a brand of primer to use?
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline Alltornup

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »
Don't get that crap on your hands.  It will take about 2 weeks to wear off.  Trust me I know

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 02:11:47 AM »
Don't get that crap on your hands.  It will take about 2 weeks to wear off.  Trust me I know

x2

Just follow the directions it came with. That stuff is amazing! Painted the entire frame on my 73 chev with POR15 and it still looks brand new after 12 years now.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:50:23 AM »
Good advice on the hands things, ill be sure to wear the gloves they supplied.

Offline snodawg

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
I have had great success with POR15. Did the whole frame on an 81 CJ. Use gloves for sure .
81 CJ7, 302 EFI,NP435,6" lift, lockers, let's go exploring...

Offline scott slade

• UberWheeler
  • Amboy... Route 66
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »
PRIMER....  for off the shelf go with Duplicolor products.... 
2005 LJ, Six Speed,
 16" Moab Rims
HD Broadcast Video Production Unit

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 10:26:07 AM »
Use a flap disc on a grinder to take the loose rust off. Grinding disc are a bit too aggressive.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
Use a flap disc on a grinder to take the loose rust off. Grinding disc are a bit too aggressive.

POR will also recomend that you dont go to bare metal.. It needs something to adhere to. Take Clays advice and get rid of the loose stuff, but for the rust that has set in POR Products will recommend to prep it first with the cleaner, and then the Metal Ready. Then just paint over it.
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »
I tried por15 once on new metal. It was a patch and all around it was cleaned rusty metal.

The por15 flaked off the new metal pretty quick even though I etched it like they suggested. After it flaked off I just let it rust a bit then reapplied.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
Unfortunately I had already used a grinding wheel before I read this as I did not have a flap wheel...I was very gentle and did not press hard.  Although, in the manual POR15 provided they said it was ok to apply to bare metal as long as you used the metal prep & ready so I guess we shall see. 
Scuffed with wire mess and gently grinded the surface.  Then used the marine clean and rinsed, then the prep and ready which I let do it work for 20mins;

Then applied two thin coats allowing the first to dry for six hours;

Still waiting for the second coat to dry which means I will have to put everything back together in the early morning before heading off to work.  But everything looks good so far.  I'll pull everything off again a couple of months and see how the POR15 is holding up on the bar metal areas.

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
I know your bumper covers most of the frame but POR-15 is not UV stable (says right on the can), I'd suggest painting over the POR-15 with some black paint to protect it from the sun, just like the instructions on the can says to do.
Use self etching good quality primer and some high quality paint (this does not include Duplicolor crap).

Offline reflexzero

• Winch Wench
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
I'm in the process of doing my whole xj roof with Por-15.  Two coats of Por-15 and one coat of Chassiscoat for UV protection.  Will post results in a few days,  prepping the roof has been a process, lots of rust gremlins doing the nasty up there.

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »
Jeepjones,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I ran out of time this weekend to take care of painting, but wasn't sure how important it was due to the location.  That being said better to be safe then sorry.  Is there a reason you do not suggest duplicolor?  I bought a can of their primer and paint to fix some bady scratches after and everything seems to be holding up...Is there a brand you would suggest to use that is superior for this application?

Thanks