Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Oh no, what did I do?  (Read 18003 times)

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
Oh no, what did I do?
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »
This might have been a big mistake.  :o

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Oh no, what did I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
It is only a mistake if you do not put it in your jeep. hmmmm 6 litre? and nv4500.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »

You got a smokin deal on those items Klapper. You don't have to use it anytime soon , but it'll come in handy one day. My garage is full of crap that I've purchased in the hopes of one day using for something .
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »
It is only a mistake if you do not put it in your jeep. hmmmm 6 litre? and nv4500.

Yeah Six Liters of Doom. It's the 315HP version with 370ft/lbs of torque...with emissions and manifolds. I'm going to run w/o emissions and shorty headers so I have to build prepared for 400ish HP. I will probably look into running some sort of programmable tuner to keep the power down for now.

The price was so good I couldn't pass it up; I basically paid what the transmission (brand new) with shipping would be worth. Plus I couldn't think of any reason why not to. Besides you know, kissing my tcase, HP 'turdy and driveshafts goodbye. Now I'm hoping for a mild winter so it won't be -26 in my garage again!

Lots of work to do.
-Radiator, hoses, steam system, electric fans, shroud, wiring
-Engine + tcase mounts
-Atlas/StaK/D300, do I want passenger or driver side drop (ie, what axle am I going with), also changes exhaust routing
-Front axle, steering, track bar
-Air intake system (air box, tubing, possibly run LS1 intake manifold which gains hood clearance and hp but loses low end torque)
-Frame/cage?
-PCM marriage (run Jeep computer in tandem to allow gauge cluster to work, add in tachometer converter)
-Add fuel regulator, larger tank

At this point I'll be looking at tube fenders and some gnarly sized tires with hydro steer.

I think I'm going to stay with a driver side drop, truss the HP D30, stay on 33s for the winter and pray the 231 doesn't blow up.

Offline Raspberry

• Budget Lift
  • Do what you love, the rest will follow.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »
and pray the 231 doesn't blow up.

Take pics for us when it does  ;D
DECEASED - 'Big Ben' (black '97 XJ) : ~9" lift - 35's - Ford 9" - 4.56 gears - armoured up - ...and a sound system that can annoy the hell out of Lemon-aid Jay!!
NEXT - Dark green '98 XJ to build up....

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
Now I'm hoping for a mild winter so it won't be -26 in my garage again!

Great score!  Farmers almanac says it's going to be the coldest winter in 20 years!
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 07:29:13 PM »
Great score!  Farmers almanac says it's going to be the coldest winter in 20 years!

I heard that. Luckily I have an ace in the hole; 80,000 square feed of heated shop space

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:17:25 AM by vantagetes »

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »
 I am going to guess that you are working for Kidco because that is not the Finning Calgary Shop. 
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 10:30:51 PM »
I will do show and tell as well. here is my crew pulling the 3516 out of a 793D, at the COE Red Deer, that engine is about 3 stories up. we needed to clear the cab to get it on the floor.

Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »
I am going to guess that you are working for Kidco because that is not the Finning Calgary Shop. 

Good guess, you got it.

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »
Divorced the engine and transmission and put the enine up on a stand. Any idea how much of a PITA it is to try to find M10x1.5x120 bolts to fit through the stand? Especially in grade 8+? Solution: use grinder to trim down tubes on stand, use M10x1.5x80 grade 12 bolts  ;D

After the engine was on the stand I pulled off the coil packs and exhaust manifolds/EGR.

Next step was to pour on the degreaser and wear out a couple SOS pads.

Looking much better, but still have some work to do.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:18:15 AM by vantagetes »

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
Looking good dude! Let me know if you need a grease monkey to hand you tools or beers! Would love the experience!
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline JJonesee

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »
Im trudging through the wiring/plumbing now.  you got a heck of a deal..

If you want me to try it out for you I could!
06' Rubicon LJ
52' M-100
82' Scrambler x 3

Offline Darkcalling

• Winch Wench
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
I second firstimers idea I would be love to come and absorb intel off this project as I have a similar goal and lighter is better more horses are a bonus :)
1999 Grand Cherokee Leredo 31s, 2000 TJ Sahara stock with 31s, 2007 Stang GT ragtop cold air and exhaust, 2011 Ram 3500 Cold air and exhaust so far.

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »
I will do show and tell as well. here is my crew pulling the 3516 out of a 793D, at the COE Red Deer, that engine is about 3 stories up. we needed to clear the cab to get it on the floor.

Whats a set of them "axel stands" worth?  ;D

After building natural gas compressors for a few years, I still love piping to those motors. And then watching the start-up. Damn, those things roar!  8) Me loves its!
VA6CPL
Jeepless....