Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: READ THIS..... Jeep Signs  (Read 3297 times)

Coolhand Luke

READ THIS..... Jeep Signs
« on: May 01, 2006, 01:41:18 PM »
Was out camping (in the snow) for the 1st time this year Saturday night, I noticed little diamond shape signs with an image of a jeep with Alberta written on it, like the ones for snowmobiles. Is this something new or did I just not notice before. Is this to show where I am allowed to go, and if I don't see one am I not supposed to be on that trail?

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: Jeep Signs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »
Quote from: "Coolhand Luke"
Was out camping (in the snow) for the 1st time this year Saturday night, I noticed little diamond shape signs with an image of a jeep with Alberta written on it, like the ones for snowmobiles. Is this something new or did I just not notice before. Is this to show where I am allowed to go, and if I don't see one am I not supposed to be on that trail?

Bud....you can use any trail you want!!! (resposibly of course!!!)

The Ghost/Waiporous Access Management Plan is not ion effect yet....

YES it is new. I've seen them too. They were not there 2 weeks ago!!!!

There are one with snow mobiles, Jeeps and ones with quads.  In my opinion that it is part of GAMP. They look like legal ASRD signs. They have Alberta logos on them.... I saw them on Meadow creek, Margaret lake Trail and I saw quad sign on Mocking Bird trail ( I thought mocking bird trail was suppose to be a truck and jeep trail  :evil: )

I'm telling you the GAMP is coming soon... The ASRD will hit us (users) with that very soon.

IT'S SCARRY STUFF!!!! :roll:

It is my opinion... I sure damn hope i'm wrong!!!!! :evil: :cry:

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »
Hey Swampsinger

I didn't think mockingbird was on the gamp plan, Just lost knife, meadow creek and margaret lake trail. and the falls in summer.
Maybe a few metres of mockingbird so as you can get to Margaret lake from the west end .

And I hope you're wrong about GAMP as well :evil:

Do the signs look official ?  Or is someone just trying to stir the pot a little. It would not be the first time someone has gone to the trouble to make their own signs.
If you had access to sign making equipment it would be easy to add on an "official" Logo.

I'm going to wait untill I see something on the goverment web pages, then I will believe it.

And just because the sign says quads can use the trail, that does not mean     4x4's can't.  Just like bikes use the trails marked for snowmobiles.

Open unless posted closed

I like that, I think I am going to change my signature, Feel free to copy me.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »
Do the signs look official ?

Unfortunatly they do.... It not a joke!!!

Like I said... I've seen them on Meadow creek from the gravel pit to 4 corners. I've seen them on the trail to Margaret lake and pass that on Mocking bird towards the gas plant... :cry: all kinds of signs with little Jeep, quad and sleds. They all have an Alberta logo on them.

NOT GOOD!!!!! :cry:  :evil:  :cry:  :evil:  :cry:

Open unless posted closed

I like that, I think I am going to change my signature, Feel free to copy me.

done  :cry:

Coolhand Luke

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 05:23:17 AM »
After some thought, I came up with ideas in my head of what these were, could be official(looked it), to warn atv that trucks are on trail?, or a test to see how many people obey the postings? If they are official, how do they plan on controlling it, how can they, with all the trails out there, prevent people from driving on only marked trails? I always stay on trails anyway, but I've seen alot of carnage out there over the years, those people will still be going. I just can't see how they can manage it. If I had the money  I would buy a huge pile of land and turn it into a Off-Road park. Just sit around pulling people out all day, what a dream, a small fee of coarse. Could be very popular and prosperous with how things are going.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:46:35 PM »
Gamp will happen. They would love to have it in place by May Long but it is doubtful due to the new leaership race in Alberta's Government.
SRD's Minister is still here but the Community Development Minister has been changed. This could delay the process.

When it does become official, those signs will dictate who can go where. It will not be open unless posted closed. Unfortunately it will be closed unless posted open!
The different user groups will be pitted against eachother. Bikes can use bike, quad and truck trails. Quads can use quad and truck trails. Trucks can only use truck trails (even if it is a wide quad designated trail).

This is the single biggest rape against motorized users ever in the province of Alberta. There is no science behind the descisions. There is no substantial ancedotal evidence either. It is a case of no enforcement, no money for more enforcement so......

SHUT IT ALL DOWN!!!!!

Tom :evil:
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Xplorer

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 05:26:15 PM »
Hey guys,

Here is a pic that was posted on an atv forum regarding the same concern.

Offline Matt4x4

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 10:58:52 PM »
Newbie Question - Can you give me the quick version of GAMP, and what it is. If its possible. Thanks

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 12:32:29 AM »
pasted from www.ab4wd.com

GAMP
AB4WD is concerned about the proposed Ghost-Waiprous Access Managment Plan (GAMP). Last spring, SRD shared a proposed map of the designated trail system in the area, of which there were only aprx. 10km of trails designated for four wheel drive use. This is a significant problem for the four wheel drive users of the area, and we oppose this highly restrictive plan.

GAMP has not yet been released, however it is in the approval process right now, and AB4WD believes that SRD will release the plan prior to the May long weekend this year.

AB4WD has communicated with SRD our concerns with the plan, and made five suggestions which will make GAMP acceptable by the four wheel drive community. They are:

The designated trail network includes a reasonable number of trails to sustain a healthy four wheel drive recreational area. Such a trail network would include a minimum of 150 km of trails available at all times of the year
Clearly defined, empirically measurable trail standards that were used to set the map of designated trails
Where trails were not designated for four wheel drive use, clear definition of where those trails failed to meet the standards clearly defined standards
Clear standards that SRD uses for evaluating a proposals for a new trails as described in the Draft Ghost-Waiprous Operational Access Plan
Definition of an appeal process to challenge trail designation decisions made by SRD
In the event that GAMP is released without meeting these requirments, AB4WD will support the four wheel drive community in public protest and legal venues to ensure that our recreational activities in the area can continue.

If you want to get involved in this issue, contact [email protected]  
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon