Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Costco Winch  (Read 5295 times)

Coolhand Luke

Costco Winch
« on: April 14, 2006, 08:57:31 AM »
I have been debating buying a winch, finally decided to go for it, does Costco still carry Champion 8000lbs. I looked on web and they only list Mile Marker. I have done lots of research and decided on Champion for price and specs, also contacted sales rep about buying specific TJ Mounting plate. Now I can only see Mile Marker winch at Costco. I will call this morning but any help would be appreciated.

Coolhand Luke

Costco Winch
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 09:50:02 AM »
Called Costco's in Calgary and found some, hope they are still there when I can make it.

Jasona666

Costco Winch
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »
they have tons up in red deer and they even have a 9500 lb winch that is reciver mount but the mounting plate is easily removalble

sgo70

Costco Winch
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 07:46:58 PM »
Any idea how much the 9500lb winch is? I was also at Princess Auto this weekend and noticed 8000Lb winches for under $400. Any comments on that one????

Jasona666

Costco Winch
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 09:12:24 PM »
449 i am gonna buy one there 100 bucks more then the 8000 and if it breaks big freaking deal its half the price of a warn and my xj dont weigh that much lol  :shock:

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
Costco Winch
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 10:32:27 PM »
wht brand is the 9500? Champion doesn't make a 9500, just an 8000 and a 10000.
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Jasona666

Costco Winch
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 11:43:06 PM »
i am positive the box said champion it was a quick attach system to attach to a hitch.  But basically it just bolted to the mounting bolts easily removable red derr had 3.  Right beside the 8000lb'ers it might be a new product.

Jason

Offline Robb

• Baby Wheeler
    • Calgary Real Estate
Costco Winch
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 07:36:59 AM »
The costco winch is a Champion.  I bought one of the 8000# winches about 6 months ago, and it was 399 then.   It is much better then not having a winch on your truck, and while it is slightly lacking in power, they do pull very hard.  

The biggest problem with them is they heat up fast, don't run it for any longer then a minute, without giving it another minute to cool down.

The Universal Plate that it comes with is only universal after you drill out your own holes. :)

It's all a matter of Cost.  If the Champion is the only thing affordable, buy it.  It's better then not having one.  

If I were to buy again, I'd just hold off and shell out for a better winch.  Although I'm somewhat happy with the Champion, I won't be replacing it with another one.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Costco Winch
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 07:49:03 AM »
you can also return it for a full refund for at least a year if you don't like it, sometimes longer, so keep the box.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
Costco Winch
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 09:07:44 AM »
Quote from: "Robb"
The costco winch is a Champion.  I bought one of the 8000# winches about 6 months ago, and it was 399 then.   It is much better then not having a winch on your truck, and while it is slightly lacking in power, they do pull very hard.  

The biggest problem with them is they heat up fast, don't run it for any longer then a minute, without giving it another minute to cool down.

The Universal Plate that it comes with is only universal after you drill out your own holes. :)

It's all a matter of Cost.  If the Champion is the only thing affordable, buy it.  It's better then not having one.  

If I were to buy again, I'd just hold off and shell out for a better winch.  Although I'm somewhat happy with the Champion, I won't be replacing it with another one.

I know the 8000lb winch is a Champion, but he's saying there is a 9500 model. I checked Champion's website and it doeesn't show it. Just thought maybe it was a different brand.

Here's a link:

http://www.cpeauto.com/winches.htm
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Jasona666

Costco Winch
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 10:52:07 AM »
i did the same thting last night to was wondering but i remeber the boxs being exactly the same just one saying 8000 one saying 9500 quick attach.  If i get back at a decenty time from family supper i will go check it out.
Red Deer Costco if anayone is curious with all the tools and stuff.

Jason

Offline Rig-Pig

• Budget Lift
Costco Winch
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 08:21:09 AM »
hey guys, i was at costco in Nw calgary yesterday, and they do indeed have a champion 9500  winch.  it is cherome plated, and comes attaached to a trailer hitch mount.  the 8000 is $449, and i have been running this one for about 2 years now, and no problems to date.  they also have a 3000 lb winch for $79 . great for winching your back end down if you drive into a hole.  ohh and yeah, the "universal plate" doesnt fit on tj's
build 'em, break 'em,
love 'em, leave 'em
same thing

Coolhand Luke

Costco Winch
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 10:34:41 AM »
I picked up my 8000lbs at Costco South and it was just under $400, thank-you Alberta Gov't.(My rebate Cheque)I will also confirm there was a 9500lb winch on shelf too. Ended up drilling 3 holes bacause I added mounting point back closer to grill on frame, not everyone could do this I used existing holes from where I took off my sway bar(I know that is not a good idea, 4 years and never an issue), and used some spacers. I've done exstensive reading on web from fellow purchasers and have no worries about winch, I will not drive any different and have only been really stuck once in 5 years and winch would not help anyways because tree-line was too far away. For my needs its perfect. Good idea also is too cover your cables with some plastic sleeving so they won't rub through. I also buy some longer bolts and thats it.

Jasona666

Costco Winch
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
SO now the question is who is getting the first 9500 cause i am thinking about it at 449 plus tax lol

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
Costco Winch
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »
the winch is only as strong as the hitch pin. So if u want to rely on the small hitch pin to hold your winch go ahead.

cheers
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___