Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: DD to WW  (Read 22052 times)

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
DD to WW
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
I've been slowly collecting parts to make my Jeep more capable out on the trails but still be as streetable as possible.
Here she is like the day I bought her;

Here she is as she stands today with 33" Goodyear Duratracs on OEM 15" Ravines, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, Quick Discos and Adjustable front TB from JKS, Stearing stabilizer from OME and Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares;

Now to the good stuff!
Still to install;
2.5" OME HD Lift, Currie JJ CA and JKS Rear Adjustble TB;

New to me Front Dana 30 with a Rock Crusher Diff cover  & Dana 35 both with 4:10 Ratio. The Dana 30 needs new U-joints, brakes (which I have yet to decide on), and possible Ball Joints and both axles need new Pinion seals.  While the rear axle will need a crush sleeve and yoke replacement which will require reloading the ring and pinion. Noticed the socket wrench on the floor next to the Dana 35, that bad boys all mine!

Finally some protection with a Husky (yes from the same company that makes the Hucky  Liner)  Swing-Away tire carrier rear bumper and Currie Rock Ribz Sliders.  The bumper is in amazing shape and needs no work while the Rock Ribz need a paint job and the mounting hardware.

The plan is to have the axles all fixed up, cleaned up and painted by the end of Decmember in time to install the lift kit and CA.  Hopefully if time permits between now and then I will have the Rock Ribz and Rear Bumper installed...Although , I may need to borrow some tools for that!  ::)
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: DD to WW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »
I'm off Friday, I can swing by and help out for a while if you want to get some stuff done.

You have my cell number. Call or text me after 9:30 tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:20:01 PM by WhiteOut »

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »
So it looks like Fraser and I will be working on preping and priming the sliders as well as installing the rear bumper friday.  Will post a few pics on that.
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 04:24:04 AM »
Good choice on the OME lift. There's something to be said for doing it right the first time.

Just curious - you're swapping to a 35 rear / 30 front...other than the 4.10 gears, is that different from what's under your Jeep right now? It kinda sounds little it like you're inheriting some problems with these axles...
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:32:29 AM »
Just curious - you're swapping to a 35 rear / 30 front...other than the 4.10 gears, is that different from what's under your Jeep right now? It kinda sounds little it like you're inheriting some problems with these axles...

The 4 cyl axles are usually a great swap option for people that want 4.10s as they are a lot cheaper than gear swaps
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »
The 4 cyl axles are usually a great swap option for people that want 4.10s as they are a lot cheaper than gear swaps

Gotcha. I guess that as long as the cost of the axles, ball joints, pinion seals, and any associated parts is still less than a re-gear, it all makes sense.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 09:47:37 AM »
Good choice on the OME lift. There's something to be said for doing it right the first time.

Thanks! I thought long and hard about the lift and bit the bullet, spent the extra cash and went for what appears to be the Cadillac of springs and shocks for this size of lift.

As for the axles, they are the same yes other than the gearing, my Tj has 3.07 currently and when on Deerfoot (which I drive everyday) as soon as I hit a hill I go from 100km/h to as low as 80km/h... and once I add the heavier bumper, winch, etc. I'm sure it'll get worse.  This option, including all the repairs, is indeed much less then re-gearing has Black YJ mentioned.  Furthermore the experience and knowledge I have gained from working on them has been priceless.  Plus I will have tons of extra parts to make trail repairs with my new found knowledge...Just need the tools now!!

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
And beer, need beer. Tools come second.

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
And beer, need beer. Tools come second.
I just thought that was implied!!  But yes, beer comes first!

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »
Good choice on OME... I got the HD this time around and real happy with the ride... Make sure you get the longer springs in the right corners hehe.

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »
Make sure you get the longer springs in the right corners hehe.
I haven't looked into any instal threads or the instructions yet.  Longer springs front or back?  I assume front?

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
The taller of the two rear springs go on passenger side. Taller of the two front springs goes on the drivers side. If you put your 2 rears on flat ground... youll notice ones about an inch longer, same with the front two.

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
Really!?! Why is that?

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
I would assume due to trackbar geometry, the way everything flexes, take a close look at it sometime, it's not symmetric.

edit: whats the difference between the Light Med and HD kits? Is it the added weight you plan on putting on it?
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »
Compensate for engine torque that compress the rear  passenger side spring. Longer front drivers side spring.... to compensate for your weight... typically youll be alone for most of your driving.