Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: DD to WW  (Read 22046 times)

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
    • EMF Rod Ends And Steering Components
Re: DD to WW
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 09:43:40 PM »
just dont eat it ... and if u do provide picture for educational purposes

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 12:33:52 AM »
Hint: hi-lift jack handle works great as a snipe.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »
Couldn't make it to Canadian Tire to get the socket I needed to remove the unit bearing, so I decided to do some prep work on the rock sliders.
They had a slight bit of service rust so I cleaned them up with some acetone first, and man that stuff is strong smelling, even through a mask! Anyway, then I took the grinder to them with a wire brush fitting.  Worked like a charm!
One more pass with the acetone;

Then laid out some plastic sheet and got to work with the primer.  I went with the Tremclad Professional stuff, as suggested by Vinman;

Only got one side done as the stuff needs 24hrs to dry before you can handle and move.  I'll prime the inside tonight and hopefully have them painted up by the weekend and ready to instal.  I'm leaning towards painting them Flat black, for a little bit of a different look.  Any reason why I shouldn't do this?
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
Flat paint is less aerodynamic. Glossy cuts the wind down and improves mileage. Almost as good a bacon grease..
No thread is complete with out someone posting a this type of comment! I feel fulfilled...

On another note I picked up a few things to help me along with my build!
Another set of jack stand and floor jack;

Grease gun & pliers

02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
On another note I picked up a few things to help me along with my build!
Another set of jack stand and floor jack;

You are going to need a bigger jack and jackstands once lifted
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 11:13:36 AM »
You are going to need a bigger jack and jackstands once lifted
Yeah I know, kinda a bummer, but they were so cheap I couldn't pass them up to help out with the build.

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »
they'll still work fine for things like axles, you'll just need a bigger pair for holding up the frame etc, 6T PA are usually on sale and decent.
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »
So working on the front axle today things were going smoothly, got the unit bearing bolts off with no problem!!  However, the unit bearing it's self will not come off and I am not sure how to go about removing it...I tried using Stu Olsen's method as shown in the link below, but as the axle is not on the jeep doesn't really work...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm

Any suggestions!?!

Thanks

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
BFH!!!
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2011, 02:09:10 PM »
Huh!? ???

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
BFH = Big fackin hammer

Leave the bolts threaded into the unit bearing just so theyre at the end of the thread then put a socket you dont care about(i use my 14mm) on the end as to not wreck the bolt heads, then smack the socket with a BFH rotating throughout the 3 bolts...works every time!
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »
Took Jonahs' advice , Thank you by the way!!! Voila, off came the unit bearings.  Took several good smacks with the BFH, but in the end they came off.
Placed an extra socket on the slightly threaded bolts;

Then removed unit bearings and axle shafts;

Labelled all hardware in ziplock bags and placed with respective unit bearing;

Question: Is there a way to tell if a unit bearing is starting to go by inspecting it once it is off the knuckle?

Also painted up the sliders, went with flat black for better aerodynamics;

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 06:57:33 PM »
Took Jonas' advice , Thank you by the way!!! Voila, off came the unit bearings.  Took several good smacks with the BFH, but in the end they came off.

Glad it worked out for ya Kyle!   I fixed my name to avoid confusion...  :P
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »
Thread hijack posts removed.  It may not be your idea of a build but keep the bickering about that for PMs or something.   Also please make sure build threads contain useful information ... unit bearings replacement is marginal so lets not stoop to Ed Hardy seat cover installs or best location for your Tap Out sticker ;)
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
    • EMF Rod Ends And Steering Components
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 08:27:44 AM »
i installed this super duper cool plug in air freshner into my nissan murano the other day......  funny story this vechile came into the shop with a amp draw and it was the air freshner causing it

things be getting complicated...

builds looking good glad to see some one becoming a gearhead... there dont seem to be to many anymore...