Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Nov. 5th @ McLean  (Read 9366 times)

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
Nov. 5th @ McLean
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »
I am looking to get out for a run this coming Saturday as I was out of commission for today's run I would like to keep it fairly mild with a 31" minimum and mud terrains only please. I would love to run to quirk ridge one last time this year so please let me know if you are in. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:48:35 AM by WK2008 »

RUBICON13

Re: Oct. 5th @ McLean
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:13:32 PM »
I think you want to change your title to November 5th, not October 5th...

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
Man I got a trail in mind if your game, does your rango have a winch?

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »
Man I got a trail in mind if your game, does your rango have a winch?

No winch yet but its on the list lol

Offline Tomtwoshoes

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Nov. 5th @ McLean
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 05:49:50 PM »
hello I am in to go on Nov 5   just wanted to know what time you guys figure you would be back ????

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »
I will shoot to be out of the trails and back at the store for 4 at the latest. The clocks go back this weekend so I want to shoot to be back by 3 just in case we run into problems. I really hate night wheeling

Offline Tomtwoshoes

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
Ok I am IN is it real neccsary to have two hook on the back I dont but am working on getting some   I have winch and place to pull from the front    and do you know what trail  Thanks Thomas

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 06:26:12 AM »
Ok I am IN is it real neccsary to have two hook on the back I dont but am working on getting some   I have winch and place to pull from the front    and do you know what trail  Thanks Thomas

If the trail leader has specified that front and rear recovery points are required, then you will need a rear recovery point. If you show up without one, please don't be surprised if you are asked to go home. This is done for everyone's safety. Sketchy (or no) recovery points are a real danger when out on the trail.

You will probably find that very few trail leaders will allow you to participate without having recovery points both front and rear. Recovery points, MT tires, a full sized spare, and having a vehicle in good mechanical condition are pretty much the minimum requirements for most runs.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »

If you have a trailer hitch then all you have to do is drop by one of the 4x4 shops and pick up one of their hitch shackles that slides into your hitch with a D shackle. This time of the year is not a time to be going anywhere without the proper gear as it can get very cold quick out there and if we cant pull you out you are going to be leaving your rig out there. I am not going to risk getting stuck out there and spending the night because we have a rig that cant be pulled out.

I always travel this time of the year with an extra change of warm clothes, extra food and water and a sleeping bag. You seriously never know what is going to happen and how fast conditions can change. A good downpour or a few cms of snow can completely change the trail conditions and can easily make it much harder on the return trip.

I know this is long winded, but I am not going to let anything slide if I am leading this run as it really is for the safety of everyone involved.

John

Offline Dagoose

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »
I'll be a maybe for this run. I blew a brake line last weekend and have some air in the lines. Hopefully I can get it all out by this weekend.

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »
I'll be a maybe for this run. I blew a brake line last weekend and have some air in the lines. Hopefully I can get it all out by this weekend.

Let me know if you need some help Colin. I can sit in the Jeep and pump the brake while you do the dirty work lol

Offline MOABICON

• Budget Lift
  • MOABICON
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
Mild run to Quirk Ridge? I have never been there?
My 03 TJ has 31x10.50x15 Pro Comp. Xtreme A/T.
50% tread left. Two tow hooks front and two rear.
8000lb winch. 2" econo lift. Sway bar disconnects.
Would I have much trouble doing this run? If it's ok
I would like to tag along?    But I gotta tell ya.........
my jeep sucks in mud. New tires and locker of some
sort on "wish list".
03 TJ, 4" lift, 33's, Eaton eLockers- Front & Rear, winch, CB

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »
Quirk is actually a bit of a tricky one this time of year. I know that Jamal and Colin were out last weekend and things were starting to freeze. I would say this time of the year would be a risky time to be out with all terrains and no locker. I dont want to spend the day running winch line where a good set of MTs would have made it through. We are due for some snow on Friday which will vastly change the trail conditions. I would say it you can get some mud terrains by the weekend then sure but if not I would have to say its best to sit this one out. If it started to snow you could really be in a tough spot trying to get back.

Offline MOABICON

• Budget Lift
  • MOABICON
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
I understand completely. Won't be getting new tires or locker.
I will sit this one out. McLean will still be there in the summer.
Thanks for letting me know. Have a great time on the run.
03 TJ, 4" lift, 33's, Eaton eLockers- Front & Rear, winch, CB

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »
Thanks for understanding. I have seen many easy runs turn into an absolute nightmare very quickly. I have the 15K in repairs to prove it. You will thank yourself in the morning when you can still drive it to get coffee. Mine sat  at the shop for 7 weeks after the last mishap.

Cheers