Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: No doors and mirror laws  (Read 9385 times)

RedYJ

No doors and mirror laws
« on: June 13, 2005, 08:42:29 PM »
Have anyone here had any troubles with having no doors on their Jeep?  or no mirrors?

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 09:28:08 PM »
If I recall correctly (iirc), and I am not a lawyer (ianal); the Highway Traffic Act stipulates that a street legal motor vehicle must have: A) seatbelts B) turn signals and a brake light C) side view mirrors D) a horn.

Now, don't take my word for it, but I am sure running doorless is ok (you should be wearing a seatbelt anyways), but make sure you have sideview mirrors. Plus I think a windshield is mandatory as well, unless its a motorbike.

And pull the proper fuse so your interior light isnt always on, like some dimwit I witnessed a few weeks ago.

Don't take my word for it. And don't go blaming me either! :D
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:43:22 PM »
You don't need side mirrors just a rear view mirror because some of the older cars only have a driver's side, side mirror.

Also I would not worry too much about driving around in the city with no doors, people do it all the time.  If you were to ask a Calgary Police Officer about it, they would probably give you a dumbfounded look, nothing against the police but when it comes to stuff like that, they just don't know.  However, I would not do it on the highway or in BC.  In BC you are only allowed to take the doors off if it could have come from the facotry with no doors, so CJs are OK.

Swamprat almost got a ticket for no doors but he had them in the back
'95 YJ with a few mods

henry

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:44:27 PM »
Yes, if your vehicle (Jeep) has removable doors, it is legal to drive without them.  Hoever, you must have sideview mirrors to be legal.  I believe the enforcement of that is very discretionary, because some old cars did not even have both side mirrors, only a center rear view.  I guess, Jeeps come with mirrors when doors are on, so mirrors have to be there in some way when doors are off also.

Its best to avoid any problems to get the add-on mirrors for when your doors are off.
I drove everywhere with no mirrors on my old TJ, and never had any problems, but its not very safe and I could have got busted many times for it.

Darren

RedYJ

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 09:47:57 PM »
So basically it will probably be no big deal as long as I obey the rules of the road and not be an idiot becaues they would use the lack of mirrors as an add on to another ticket for say speeding or somthing.
thanks for quick reply guys

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 12:15:38 AM »
I ran doorless and mirror less for a week earlier this spring. Didn't run into any problems with the 5-0. One thing I did hate was not having the side mirrors. There are relocation bracketts you can buy from steelhorse and other accessory manufacturers... but do yourself a favor and build your own.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html

pretty much a step by step on the cheap way of doing it. Hope this helps

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 01:46:55 PM »
i drive doorless and window down on hood.
i carry cheap motorcycle mirrors that fit perfectly into the hinge where the pin from the door goes. i have never been hassled.
Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 01:53:41 PM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"

cheap motorcycle mirrors

A-HA! Thats what I am looking for, the "cheap replacement" mirros from Crappy Tire or PartSource are not so cheap.

But motocycle mirrors, that is s.m.r.t.!!! :D

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers
Chrs
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 03:30:27 PM »
Quote from: "Elsifer"

A-HA! Thats what I am looking for, the "cheap replacement" mirros from Crappy Tire or PartSource are not so cheap.

Just FYI, Canadian Tire carries several cheap plastic motorcycle mirrors. Square or round for YJs or TJs. They are in the motorcycle/ATV section.

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 03:51:03 PM »
Quote from: "redbull"
Just FYI, Canadian Tire carries several cheap plastic motorcycle mirrors. Square or round for YJs or TJs. They are in the motorcycle/ATV section.

Thanks for the tip!  :D
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Abrasive

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 04:01:10 PM »
I think I'd better go pick up a set as well.
Thanks for the info.

Kris

Dadzooks

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 10:49:39 AM »
Unless its raining or its below 10 degrees I usually have no doors. Never been stopped, never been look at by the cops in over 3 years. It surprises me as I usually don't run my fugly mud flaps either.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 10:28:13 PM »
I've never had a problem in 10yrs.  Then again, I don't bring attention to myself.  My wife met the head traffic officer here in Lethbridge.  She asked him about mirrors and was told that they weren't required.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

thunderstruck

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 09:32:26 AM »
I've got a set of Genuine Harley mirrors for mine. They were scratched when someone dropped a bike in the show room. They are $100 for the set retail but since they were scratched I talked the guy to $20 cash. We can't all be that lucky. I've seen guys run the mirrors from the bicycle section at CT they are $7.49 each. Product# 73-4218-6 not sure if this link will work. I don't have these but I think they are the ones I've seen others with. http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442155665&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517496&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517540&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396669593&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669593&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1119366601395

B-MAN

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 05:32:28 PM »
You do not require side mirrors if the top is off, all that is required is an unobstructed rear view mirror (windshield mounted mirror) if you have your doors off and top on with a rear tinted window, the tinting is considered an obstruction to your windshield mounted mirror. There is nothing that I can find that states you vehicle must have doors in this act.

Taken from the Queen's Printer Website:

Traffic Safety Act

VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION

Rear view mirror

72(1)  A motor vehicle must have a rear view mirror that gives the driver a clear view of the roadway behind the vehicle and of any other vehicle approaching from behind.

(2)  If the view in the rear view mirror is obstructed or interfered with in any way, a motor vehicle must have side mirrors on each side that give the driver a clear view of the roadway behind and on each side of the motor vehicle.