Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: No doors and mirror laws  (Read 9383 times)

Becker

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 09:35:39 AM »
If you wanted to run mirrors full time and still be able to remove the doors, National 4WD sells a set of mirror relocation brackets, (approx 60.00) and I bought a used set of TJ mirrors from Jeepstuff.  

They mount on the door post by the upper door hinge, and the TJ mirrors slide right in and bolt on.  All you do is remove the original mounting screws from the hinge and install the brackets with the new screws.  Its a little tough to get to the nuts on the backs of the screws, but with some patience and small hands it can easily be done.  If you drill the original screws out and replace them it works great.  

This was done on a 93 YJ.

I can email a photo of them if anyone is interested.

Wif

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 12:14:57 PM »
I drove around for a while without side mirrors .. hated it .. I kept looking in the spot where they should have been. In the end I decided it didn't feel safe so I fitted a set.

Jeepster

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 12:00:29 PM »
Glad I used the search button as I was just going to ask this same question.
So we can drive around with no mirrors but as other people have said it feels kind of odd and unsafe not having them there.

Think I will hit up Crappy Tire and see what they have in stock.

Offline NS-jeeper

• UberWheeler
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 02:18:16 PM »
YJ's have the mirrors on the doors right from the factory. I'm sure Jeep would have designed them to meet Canadian laws and since the doors are designed to be removed it must be legal.

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »
I drive All the time without doors or side mirrors or top.  pulled up by cops lots of time.  they never bothered me yet.

I think its more if your jeep is all dirty or jeep looks like crap then they may pay attention to you.
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Jeepster

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 08:15:23 PM »
Anyone have any luck finding something like "Fit System Wide Angle 4-1/2"x6" Blind Spot Clamp-On Mirror by K-Source" ?? at Canadian tire or anywhere else ?

I saw some Fit system stuff in the Canadian tire in Airdrie  but not the one shown in that article.

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »
Rules applicable to no doors, side mirrors, and windshield folded:

So if I read this correctly A door would be required, a windshield not folded down, and a rear view mirror.  The door you might be able to contest and win.  My advice, don't drive in such a way to attract the attention of the police, print a copy of the rules from the queens printer site above and stick it in your folder with your registration.  Better to reason and show the cop you have done your homework and not get the ticket than to get the ticket and take time off work to fight it.  If you show the cop politely that you know what the rules are you will probably not get a ticket.  Cops can be reasoned with.  I was pulled over the other night while on a test drive of a new car.  Doing 101 in a 80 zone, no ticket for me!!!  
 :oops:

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Regs/2002_322.cfm?frm_isbn=0779717090

67(1)  A hinged door on a motor vehicle that leads directly to a driver’s seat or a passenger seat must have a door latch and striker assembly that has a fully latched closed position and a secondary latched closed position.

(2)  Subsection (1) does not apply to a cargo door, sliding door, rolling door or folding door or to a 2?part door that closes by one part latching to the other part.

(3)  Subsection (1) does not apply to a motor vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1971.

Windshield

68   A motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle or moped, must have a windshield.

Rear view mirror

72(1)  A motor vehicle must have a rear view mirror that gives the driver a clear view of the roadway behind the vehicle and of any other vehicle approaching from behind.

(2)  If the view in the rear view mirror is obstructed or interfered with in any way, a motor vehicle must have side mirrors on each side that give the driver a clear view of the roadway behind and on each side of the motor vehicle.

HIWYH8R

No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 09:13:41 PM »
I did the mod that APEX linked to on the first page and just mounted a drivers side mirror to the hinge. I got that same mirror at PA for 11 bucks. Works great but does viberate a little, just like everything else I guess so that would be considered normal :)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 09:52:10 PM »
hehe i have a windshield, but doesn't specifically say it must be in the upright position....  anyhoo bugs in teeth no thanks, i'll keep it up.

been driving a few weeks with no top, doors or mirrors.  once a cop did look but that's all.  i'll print something and keep it in the glove box perhaps.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline laredo

• Winch Wench
mirror
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »
Tank posted up an idea on the ejc site
using mirrors out of the bicycle section of Canadian tire
http://www.edmontonjeep.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1432

battscrew

Re: No doors and mirror laws
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »
Wonderfull thread!! - anythoughts on mirrors for the new JK?

yjcanibul

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 11:36:57 AM »
I never thought of it as being a problem , and it sounds like if top down than the
windshield rear would suffice,  but it is nice having something there by habit of
looking ... so I picked this up at cdn tire for 8$ ,  just added another lock washer
and cinched the two supplied nuts together ...

doesnt look 1/2 bad in my opinion ... have to be a real stickler to find fault with it ...

Offline SmilinVamp

• Budget Lift
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »
Those are the ones I suggested the TribalJeep dude get... how do you like them?

yjcanibul

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 03:10:54 PM »
yeah thats where I got the idea off the forum discussion ...

they would be a tad small if looking through a greasy/wet window
but without doors they seem to provide adeqate early warning coverage
I added the additional lockwasher as first attempt didnt hold it tight
, used this combo with success :

- additional flat washer
- lock washer supplied
- 1/2 nut supplied
- additional lock washer
- 9/16 nut supplied

its nice having it there as thats where I always look first ...

Offline TrappersJeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 04:25:39 PM »
Rules applicable to no doors, side mirrors, and windshield folded:

So if I read this correctly A door would be required, a windshield not folded down, and a rear view mirror.  The door you might be able to contest and win.    

67(1)  A hinged door on a motor vehicle that leads directly to a driver’s seat or a passenger seat must have a door latch and striker assembly that has a fully latched closed position and a secondary latched closed position.

(2)  Subsection (1) does not apply to a cargo door, sliding door, rolling door or folding door or to a 2?part door that closes by one part latching to the other part.

(3)  Subsection (1) does not apply to a motor vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1971.

Had an educational discussion with a cop here in Leduc regarding doors, and side mirrors.  Based on his comments doors on vehicles come as standard equipment are required equipment as they are a safety feature of the vehicle designed to keep the occupants of the vehicle froming becoming flying debris during an accident (makes sense when you think about it).  He suggested at the very least a good set of tube doors or half doors - something to keep body parts in the vehicle.  Your seat belt will keep you in your seat but the force of the impact would cause legs/feet/arms to flail outside of the tub and become potential road hamburger!

Windshield

68   A motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle or moped, must have a windshield.

Rear view mirror

(2)  If the view in the rear view mirror is obstructed or interfered with in any way, a motor vehicle must have side mirrors on each side that give the driver a clear view of the roadway behind and on each side of the motor vehicle.
At the time I wa pulled over I was using the "Canadian Tire" special mirrors (the little bike mirrors that Tank had suggested)...again no good.   The mirrors are to deemed to small and they do not offer the same degree of visual awareness as factory equipment.  We talked about mirror relocation brackets and he figured they'd work prefectly because you'd still be using factory equipment.  Never thought to ask about motorcycle mirrors but I'd assume that if they are smaller than your current stock mirrors you may in fact run into the same "size" issue.

If you show the cop politely that you know what the rules are you will probably not get a ticket.  Cops can be reasoned with. 
Talked with the cop for nearly an hour about the highway traffic.  I'd throw out a question and my interpretation and he'd through out his - we talked mirrors, flares, flaps, and lift kits.  After all was said and done he asked me to go home and get the doors back on, but I managed to avoid the cumulative stack of tickets for equipment.  So be nice, ask questions and give honest answers - it saved my wallet! ;)
RIDER PRIDE IS OUTTA CONTROL!!  CRACK THE PIL AND BRING ON THE CUP!!!