Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: YJ/TJ Diesel repower  (Read 3907 times)

Offline XJSteve

• Winch Wench
YJ/TJ Diesel repower
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
Just putting the feelers out. Has anyone in the community ditched the petrol engine in their YJ/TJ in favour of a volkswagen TDI, Mercedes 3.0 or Cummins B4T? There are a few on the web and the concept looks interesting. There's a company in BC producing adaptor kits for YJ to TDI conversions but let's say not cheap. You'd be doing this type of project for the challenge not because it makes financial sense (hey, that sounds like off-roading in general!!).
'99 XJ 5.5 " Rubicon Express, 33" tires, AW4, 4.0, ARB bumpers front/rear, Warn 9000 lb winch, Rockhard rollbar, Optimal yellow top, Cobra CB, bushwacker flares, Safari snorkel; saving-up for a 3" body lift

Offline newfie glass

• UberWheeler
Re: YJ/TJ Diesel repower
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »
The 1.6 vw diesel motor has a bigger turbo and could be wired up easier. Plus these motors can make a decent amount of power with small mods. Would make for a fun engine.
Quality Paintless dent repair
403-807-1042

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
    • EMF Rod Ends And Steering Components
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »
is the 1.6l common rail cause if it aint it doesnt have a chance againts that 3.0l that thing can be made mean with minor mods...

oh and who nos maybe next summer if i have a surplus of cash i am planning on doing this in my zj... i drive to and from work everyday and its average of 130 kms a day now that and a v8 suck

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
Do a search, someone on here put a 4bt into a YJ last year. I don't think I would go anything smaller than a 4bt.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline heep-a-lop

• UberWheeler
  • EMF WHORE
    • EMF Rod Ends And Steering Components
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »
yeah thats fredduck... thing is mean even with just 33's on it crawls through alot of crap...

he ahd it out here for the rock crawl and i love the black smoke when he gets into it
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:15:00 PM by heep-a-lop »

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »
Fredduck definately does have a 4BT :)

There are pictures in here

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=22499.msg139007#msg139007

I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »
Buddy in aordre has a 4bt yj pumpin serious power
And even better fuel economy
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »
i work with a guy that put a 4bt in a durango. its sounds pretty raunchy but moves that heavy thing all right i guess.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »
Just putting the feelers out. Has anyone in the community ditched the petrol engine in their YJ/TJ in favour of a volkswagen TDI, Mercedes 3.0 or Cummins B4T? There are a few on the web and the concept looks interesting. There's a company in BC producing adaptor kits for YJ to TDI conversions but let's say not cheap. You'd be doing this type of project for the challenge not because it makes financial sense (hey, that sounds like off-roading in general!!).

Yes I do have a 4BT in the YJ and it is a blast.
By the way Jeff Airdrie is spelt Airdrie ;D
Don't kid yourself a diesel conversion is NOT cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
The TDI sounds interesting

3.9 CTD - 7000R4  NP241c SSYE, Dana 44.  9 inch, 4.10's  and 37's

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »
I see there is a 6BT as well.  Any reason people aren't going for that?  Overkill?  Physically too big?

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »
I see there is a 6BT as well.  Any reason people aren't going for that?  Overkill?  Physically too big?

#1. A 6BT weighs in 942 pounds. Ouch....poor Jeep!

#2. You can pretty easily get 300 to 400 lb-ft of torque out of a 4BT.

So yes - overkill and physically too big, all at the same time.  ;)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »

#1. A 6BT weighs in 942 pounds. Ouch....poor Jeep!

#2. You can pretty easily get 300 to 400 lb-ft of torque out of a 4BT.

So yes - overkill and physically too big, all at the same time.  ;)
Yes a 6BT needs to go in a full size,
I figure I'm running about 200-220 HP and with most diesels you can double the HP numbers for torque so 400-440 ish

Offline XJSteve

• Winch Wench
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 12:39:08 AM »
Fredduck, nicely done conversion! So, assuming you are not wheeling, just grocery getting, what style of driver are you (lead foot vs feather foot) and what mileage do you get with this set-up? I realize you are lifted with larger tires etc. but most of are anyway and I know my XJ is getting 13 american mpg on the highway. I get a postcard every Dec from the Arab Nations thanking me for my patronage ;)

Also, the main reason I brought-up the Volks TDI is what appears to be a more readily available engine. Looking up the 4BT, it looks like you would have to go out and run a Frito Lay delivery truck off the road, knock the driver over the head, and steal his engine. With that in mind, the 4BT goes for about $3500 plus delivery which would be substantial. Did you use the AX-5 transmission and if so, design your own adaptor plate/release bearing adaptor etc. or did you buy a kit? If a kit, what was your experience? Also, not to be too personal but what was the overall cost of doing this?
'99 XJ 5.5 " Rubicon Express, 33" tires, AW4, 4.0, ARB bumpers front/rear, Warn 9000 lb winch, Rockhard rollbar, Optimal yellow top, Cobra CB, bushwacker flares, Safari snorkel; saving-up for a 3" body lift

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 07:42:19 AM »
Thanks for the props, we're not done yet. ::)
I really haven't put enough miles on it on the road to gauge MPG, but on the trail it gets 35-40 MPG (just puttin)

I can honestly say I have never added up my bills, I'm a'feard  :o
Building is not cheap and some engines are electronically controlled, another reason I went with the 4BT.
My engine came with the tilted  Chevy adaptor  so I stayed with a Chevy drive train 700R4 ans 241c T-Case for ease of install.
And yes, there is a Frito-lay driver looking for his van 8)

Seriously for a DD, I would put in a TDI or a turbo Mercedes
They are not as tall, not as heavy (750lbs) and produce the kind of power you would need.

That being said, a diesel liberty or Grand Cherokee? could be bought not built.
Finding a wrecked one and doing a transplant my be an option.

My '07 Duramax  gets 20+MPG after I tuned it as well, as long as I keep my foot out of the throttle.

My friends wife has a TDI Beetle, she drives it 45 Miles each way to work.
After it was tuned it's getting 65miles to the gallon.
The car is running HP numbers about 35% over stock with no smoke.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:03:03 AM by Fredduck »