Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Grym's 2011 JK  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Grym

• Stocker
Grym's 2011 JK
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »
Hello All,

I figured I would take the time to introduce myself and my rig and grab some feed back.

First me; I am a 30 year old Systems Architect for ATCO I-Tek  and I've been bending wrenches on all manner of vehicles since I was about 12,
Second is the rig; She is a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 3.8L 6 speed and started nearly as basic as you could get. 3 days after the papers were signed I was off to the bush to find out what sort of punishment she would deal with off the show room floor.

Bone stock and way to clean for about 2 hours and the first significant mud puddle

Although I was impressed at its ability to find its way through mud and over some interesting terrain I was less them impressed with it's power. Enter mod #1
Throttle Body off of the SRT10 Viper motor. Direct Fit and provided a 3"  throttle body inlet over the stock 2.45" inlet
When the throttle body arrived it was off to the shop to install it, but first out came the laptop connected it to the jeep and ran 4 dyno passes with Scan XL average stock RWHP was about 120 (nothing to write home about)
The viper throttle body was a direct bold on but required some creative PVC work to connect the new throttle body to the stock air box and I replaced the stock filter with a K&N filter at the same time.
After some drive to to let the computer recalibrate to the new TB and make sure I wasn't getting any Check engine codes it was time for 4 more dyno passes.  This time she spits out an average of 140 RWHP.
Clearly a fair amount of power can be unlocked with some intake an exhaust upgrades.

After some Zombie Apocalypse Edition decals for the hood and both CB and VHF radio installs It was back out to the trails for a CJA open run.

Again a successful trip and still mostly stock, The next Mods to come were a Ready Lift 3" lift kit, Blacked out hood decal, and some rugged ridge rock rails,  magnaflow cat back exhaust, and some better then stock tires.

After that I chopped down the front bumper and front fender flares, added a Smity built winch plate, installed a Rough country 9500lbs winch and Volant cold air intake with snorkel and JKS quick disconnects

I ordered the winch and the bumper caps at the same time, the winch made it through customs the bumper caps got held up for almost a week (go figure) hence why they are missing.
 On deck is a proper set of fender flares as although the cut down ones look alright IMO they make a mess of my side windows and people behind me is sloppy conditions (not interested in giving jeepers a bad rap so fixing that asap) and some 33" mud terrain tires for the spring.

For now that's it but only because it's cold outside.

Cheers

Grym
2011 Wrangler  Zombie Apocalypse Edition
3" Lift, Viper throttle body, Volant snorkel

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: Grym's 2011 JK
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »
the trick with the viper throttle body is to put your plastic air intake in some hot water and soften it up. ive heard some good results from the viper TB as well.
looks good so far.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline hornblower

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »
Sounds and looks good.

I just recently purchased a 2011 JK Sahara. I'm looking forward to doing some mods to it but will probably wait untill spring.

Preparing For the Zombie Apocolypse.

RUBICON13

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:25:55 PM »
Be aware your fender flare adjustment makes your vehicle illegal (missing light)...

Offline Grym

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:00:08 PM »
When I got the Volant CAI the new ducting that comes with it along with their very nice silicone adapters fit the Viper TB perfectly  so the home made air piping was short lived. ;) I wanted to avoid modding the stock air pip in case I had issue and needed to go back.

And the marker lights are still there you just can't see them from that angle, But got some Bushwacker flat flares on order  and they have a replacement marker lights included so all will be good.

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
Hey guys I am being lazy for a re- search so where can I get the viper throttle body for jk?

Thanks.
Anton
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
Anton, there are probably better things you can spend $300 on.  Dealership would probably be your best bet.

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »
Sorry for stealing ur thread here Grym. But I remember seeing the viper TB IN MPAR WEB FOR 130$ and now I can't find it amy more. I don't want to go to the dealer cuz the will charge more then it needs to be
1996 jeep cherokee.

Offline Grym

• Stocker

Offline Anton

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »
thanks allot, just ordered it from there, i love you Volant, i have same thing. so the Viper TB work's great with the cold air intake then?

Anton
1996 jeep cherokee.