Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Salvage inspection  (Read 2453 times)

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
Salvage inspection
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
Long story short my jeep needs a salvage inspection cause some people don't know how to drive. The only damaged done to my jeep was some scratches to the homemade bumper and hitch thats it. Does anybody on here do salvage inspections or can recommend a good shop.

Thanks.

Dingman

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Salvage inspection
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »
You got written off for that? Sounds like the inspection might cost more then your Jeeps worth.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
They valued the cost to repair at 1274 and change. A couple of the guys here have seen it and it's honestly just scratches.
Also the guy who hit me his insurance company wrote it off is this even legal? It was 100% his fault and they admitted that it was (have a signed letter stating that)

Dingman
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:08:34 PM by .:.Dingman.:. »

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
So your prob getting paid twice that and itll cost ya a can of black paint? Sounds like a score to me ;-)

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
I hate to be the one to say it but your ZJ wont pass a salvage inspection. For it to pass it needs to go back to OEM spec. If you are going to go that route, I have a stock suspension and bumper you can have.

You need to fight it. Get another appraisal from a few mechanics, Dave and Jay come to mind. Get a bunch of listings within 200km showing that $1200 does not meet the write off threshold. If they appraised $1200, they are using the price for stock bumper and stock hitch assembly. The quotes I had for those two came very close to that.

Did you sign anything or accept any payment yet? If not, don't.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2822.htm
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:01:08 PM by WhiteOut »

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:01:56 PM »
Fraser if you borrow a copy of those quotes that would be great and I know it wont pass a salvage. And no they aren't giving me double that not even close also include a day of lost wages etc.

Dingman

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
I haven't signed anything or accepted any payment and will not.

Dingman

Offline 03Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
I think only a certain places can do those. Raspberry recommended me to Spec Mechanical i believe its called. They do salvage inspections.

They're around $330.

Edit: What whiteout mentioned. Has to be turned back to oem. Or close to it.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
It was on the red one, long gone. Sorry man.

There is no way that it should be a write off, even with $1200 in damage.

I would ask how they determined the dollar amount for repairs as well as what they value the Jeep at and what their write off threshold is.

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
Something is wrong with the picture. You have not been paid out yet the other drivers insurance company wrote the jeep of ?

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »
Something is wrong with the picture. You have not been paid out yet the other drivers insurance company wrote the jeep of ?
that is correct. Haven been Paid out haven't signed anything nothing I come home today and find a letter saying my jeeps title has changed and is now a salvage and to stop driving it immediately.

Dingman

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »
You need to talk with someone at an insurance company and/or a lawyer.

Sign up for an account on Beyond and PM "Masked Bandit". He is the guy everyone goes to for their insurance and will answer any of your questions.

Did they even look at it in person?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:22:19 PM by WhiteOut »

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 10:25:36 PM »
What does YOUR insurance company say? Why are they not helping you? i would be on the phone asap and ask YOUR insurance company why they allowed it to be written as salvageable. Be assertive but respectful.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »
What does YOUR insurance company say? Why are they not helping you? i would be on the phone asap and ask YOUR insurance company why they allowed it to be written as salvageable. Be assertive but respectful.

If you dont have full coverage... your insurance wont care... learnt with my first XJ.