Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: If you had to start from scratch..  (Read 10719 times)

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
Re: If you had to start from scratch..
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »
I just like the Tj's and Jk's over the Yj's for looks (subtle differences I know but hey I like what I like) though I do lean more towards the Jk's
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »
I just like the Tj's and Jk's over the Yj's for looks (subtle differences I know but hey I like what I like) though I do lean more towards the Jk's

What are you saying, WRONGlers are cool ;D.   They're like the love child of a cj and a reliant k

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
I'm sorry I'm just not cool enough for the square headlight crowd, I like my round lenses =p
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 12:11:21 AM »
2dr xj with a 4.0l and auto...tube doors...and a sunroof..good enuf.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
For me, I would start with a LJ rubi and convert the suspension to leaf springs  ;D
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline jeepgrl

• UberWheeler
  • All those JKs are starting to look the same...
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
what's with you guys and the piece of crap Caravans.... JKs?

don't be hating the JKs!!  The only thing I would change is the transmission... I wouldn't go automatic again.  I love my JK.
Current project:
2012 2-door Orange Crush JK
AEV 3.5" lift
33" Mikey Thompson MTZ
Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers
Warn VR800 winch

BUILT AND SOLD: Silver 2007 JKU (because they all look the same now anyway)

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:37 AM »
I did start over from scratch, found the model of xj I wanted, found another with the computer system I wanted, bought the engine I wanted, Bought the suspension I wanted. and now I spend my weekends building the Jeep I want.

Its a lot of work, but in the end I think it will be work it. Just having difficulty dealing with wheeling withdrawal.  :'(

Pook

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
Mine would be a 2a or 3a flatfender with small v6 or tweaked 4 cylinder with granny low four speed. 33s, locked, a winch and maybe a heater for the winter. Light weight as much as possible. Max 2500 pds. Ohh damm this is an tj or jk thread.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
 The wife had a jk Rocky mountain edition. Basically an X. What it did stock I was amazed.  A little bit of money, sweat and tears and it would be sweet

Very true, I was really impressed, I doubt a YJ or TJ on 33's could outperform it by much if any. Between the LSD and traction control (yes traction control) it refused to quit, clawed its way up and through everything.

TJ= More of a Toy (impractical), build it up, Cheaper

JK= More daily driven, very capable (more so than TJ stock for stock) reliable wheeling rig.

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 11:20:15 AM »
I'm looking for something to use as a daily driver for now, and build it up as I go type thing.. I don't want to buy something built already I enjoy working on my own stuff too much for that

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26:50 AM »
don't be hating the JKs!!  The only thing I would change is the transmission... I wouldn't go automatic again.  I love my JK.

I knew you were going to say something LOL....

I have never driven a JK so I can't really say anything about them. I was just trying to get a rise out of some folks.

Cheers!

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
For myself if it was going to be hardcore it would  be an xj. However my next build I want a totally streetable trail machine. New 4 door jk with the new pentastar motor. Max 33s.  I'm not going to buy one with a 3.8. I like the 3.8 in my minivan, it's been extremely reliable but it's not overly efficient or powerful.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
What would I want to build?  Depends...  Do you I want a mild wheeling machine to use as a DD or a trailer queen?

If I was going mild (and I can't believe I saying this), I would go with  the JK. Even the lifted ones I've rode are nice on the road. Lots of fancy schmancy for the nancy add-ons are available.  I would like to start with new engine though which means $$.  Consumer reports has some not nice things to say about some of the earlier JKs.  And it would be a 2 door for sure.  

If it was for the trailer queen, it would be a TJ for sure... stretch it, big arse engine, etc.

All that being said, the MJ we are building is going to be pretty damn sweet... even if has square headlights.

04 TJ Rubi

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
I like MJ's but I don't have a garage to do a long term project like that yet =p I want a DD thats mild to moderate on the off road.. Maybe down the road I can build it into something more serious =)

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »
Are you financing or buying with cash?

If you are financing, and if you are seriously considering going with a JK I would look into the 2012's...  I think the base model starts at just over $20k, but financing on a new vehicle is cheaper then on used.  The new engine is great... tons of power, getting amazing reviews.

If you want I can hook you up with my buddy and he can get you a smoking deal on a new JK or you could talk to Rob as well, I'm sure he can hook you up.