Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: If you had to start from scratch..  (Read 10717 times)

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: If you had to start from scratch..
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »
Are you financing or buying with cash?

If you are financing, and if you are seriously considering going with a JK I would look into the 2012's...  I think the base model starts at just over $20k, but financing on a new vehicle is cheaper then on used.  The new engine is great... tons of power, getting amazing reviews.

If you want I can hook you up with my buddy and he can get you a smoking deal on a new JK or you could talk to Rob as well, I'm sure he can hook you up.
Are they about $40-45k for a rubicon ?
Jeep
With stuff

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
I'll have a better answer for that tomorrow, I've got a meeting with a counsellor to get things setup to either go north to work on the rigs or work as a pipe fitter apprentice up north.. So we shall see which way it happens =) I'd like to go brand new
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 12:21:21 PM »
A base 2dr Rubicon starts at $30k I think.  With all the extras you get into the 40's with them.

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »
Yeah if I go the new rubicon route it will have some goodies, built in sirius and so on =p
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »
I'll have a better answer for that tomorrow, I've got a meeting with a counsellor to get things setup to either go north to work on the rigs or work as a pipe fitter apprentice up north.. So we shall see which way it happens =) I'd like to go brand new

If you can swing the 2012 I would for sure.  I have a 2010 Unlimited Sahara and a 2012 Rubicon(wife's).  I don't "like" to drive mine as much anymore...feels like a slug.  I have never really had an issue with the old 3.8L, has always seemed to get the job done for me, but that new engine is sweet.  Also, the new 5 speed auto is MUCH better then the old 4 speed.  Also has steptronic (not sure if that's what they call it) so when you are offroad you can select any of the 5 gears.

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
If I buy a jeep it has to be manual, yes they suck more in the city but I can live with that.. Yeah the parents minivan had the 3.8L and it definitely sucked on the oomph lol

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »
If you can get a good deal on a 2011 or older JK, don't let the 3.8 stop you from buying it. You can solve the engine issues with a blower. $5K and an afternoon's work, and you've got an engine that will actually put up better numbers than the Pentastar.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline jeepgrl

• UberWheeler
  • All those JKs are starting to look the same...
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 08:52:18 PM »
I knew you were going to say something LOL....

I have never driven a JK so I can't really say anything about them. I was just trying to get a rise out of some folks.

Cheers!

We can switch Jeeps on the next run  ;)
Current project:
2012 2-door Orange Crush JK
AEV 3.5" lift
33" Mikey Thompson MTZ
Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers
Warn VR800 winch

BUILT AND SOLD: Silver 2007 JKU (because they all look the same now anyway)

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »
Grannies and Poofsters drive JKs. Metro sexuals too, but thats only cause the ladies they pick up at the bar think they're gettin in an H2. And Women, Women drive em too, even the butch ones that look like dudes, dont be fooled by the facial hair.

And commence butt hurt responses from minivan owners.

In all seriousness. JKs are alot less work to make "trail ready", age wont play as much as much of a factor in maintenance as it will in a TJ. But, JKs look and feel more like Hummers then Jeeps. Spend half on a TJ or XJ of what you would on a JK and you'll have a nice daily driver thats still reliable and kick arse on the trails.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 05:38:04 PM »
personally, i think the TJ unlimited would be a great platform to start with. if you have the money to go that route. the extar wheelbase helps off road. a tummy tuck, minor suspesnion and body lift with flat fenders, should net you enough room to run a 33 easily or a 35. you get the torquey 4.0L, either trans is a solid unit behind that engine, either t-case is solid, the rear d44 is a good unit and comes in all LJ's. front d30 ok if built properly for up to 35" tires. a rubicon version would be best, upgrade the shafts and you really have a great platform for anything.
a 2door jk could be had for pretty cheap these days. ive seen an 2007 2 door X model for 15G. still alot of moneys but they have a nice ride and can be built pretty easily. keep it light, soft top/soft doors, do some power upgrades and tune the drive-by-wire up for better response. a 2" lift and fender trimming will put 35's on it. do an X model and upgrade the front d30 and you'll have a solid unit.
it may come down to how much you want to spend on purchase price, and then on upgrades. a tj rubicon may be found cheaper then a x model jk.
it all depends on whats out there.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »
We can switch Jeeps on the next run  ;)

The one I was driving last time we went out was Bonnie's Rubi...

Offline mike s

• UberWheeler
  • Good times!
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:52 AM »
There's just something about going topless...
'94 YJ, 2.5" RE, 1"BL on 35"s, 8.8 w 4.88
oldEnuff2NObetter

but still can't help myself

Offline jeepgrl

• UberWheeler
  • All those JKs are starting to look the same...
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
Grannies and Poofsters drive JKs. Metro sexuals too, but thats only cause the ladies they pick up at the bar think they're gettin in an H2. And Women, Women drive em too, even the butch ones that look like dudes, dont be fooled by the facial hair.

I'm neither a grannie, poofster, metro sexual, I hate H2's, and I definitely don't look like a dude or have facial hair.   It's a Jeep.  Get over it.

Ever tried having nookie in the YJ/TJ?  Doesn't work so well, huh?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:46:18 AM by jeepgrl »
Current project:
2012 2-door Orange Crush JK
AEV 3.5" lift
33" Mikey Thompson MTZ
Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers
Warn VR800 winch

BUILT AND SOLD: Silver 2007 JKU (because they all look the same now anyway)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »
Ever tried having nookie in the YJ/TJ?  Doesn't work so well, huh?

He's too angry for nookie. Or maybe he's angry because of no nookie.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
Lol settle people... dont get so butt hurt, its way to easy to get a rise out of JK owners. Nookie is not an issue, and small spaces work quite well ;-)

I also added Women to the list of potential owners jeepgrl, read the WHOLE sentence please :-)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:42:40 AM by binare »