Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Carbureted 360 in 03 tj  (Read 9427 times)

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Carbureted 360 in 03 tj
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »
In parkades you do because it is heavier then air and also the exhaust fans built into them doesn't detect propane like it will detect gas and diesel exhaust if you ever have your vehicle on a ferry too on propane and they find out they can lay charges if there's an issue (my dad was telling me a story on that one)

Did you read my full post? Or just the first sentence? ;-)

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »
Dual fuel - propane tank and gas tank.

Propane less power and smaller tank - use it for hills
Gas more power and existing tank - use it for everywhere else

Lots of old propane parts kicking around in junk yards - I've picked up setups for carb and efi for next to nothing.

As for parkades - haven't seen one yet on a trail ;)
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline NoBiggies

• Winch Wench
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
Dual fuel - propane tank and gas tank.

Propane less power and smaller tank - use it for hills
Gas more power and existing tank - use it for everywhere else

Lots of old propane parts kicking around in junk yards - I've picked up setups for carb and efi for next to nothing.

As for parkades - haven't seen one yet on a trail ;)

Haha. I like that response. But yet totally true.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »
Wheres the barf emote when you need one...........

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline NoBiggies

• Winch Wench
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
Wheres the barf emote when you need one...........

???

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
???

I think it's a lot more weight for what you get out of the 1970's technology engines.
Better options exist. Just because you enjoyed your moms old dodge  ;D don't get stuck on that as the only option.

Also, don't confuse dodge vs. amc 360's as they are completely different.

If you have it sitting on the floor already it makes it a little more worthwhile.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline NoBiggies

• Winch Wench
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Yeah it's sitting there waiting. My buddy figures about 350 horse.

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »
Some people build rat rods and some people buy corvettes and vipers. Each to their own.

Same idea why put in a 4.7 stroker when you could install a hemi - owners choice ::)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »
I've only seen carbs run on offroad rigs due to lack of knowledge, funds, common sense, or a combonation of the three.

With the exception of mud racings, and even then its still a disadvantage, carburators have been obsolete in offroading for nearly 20 years.

Next we will have a thread started on quarter elipticals versus 4 links...................

To me there is a significant diference between to each their own, and crap that just dont make sense nowadays.

Honestly, to purchase the bracketry, do the fabrication, fit adapters, modify driveline, etc etc, all to put a 30 year old carburated boat anchor in a Tj is one big excercise in futility.

Seriously, would someone a bit more politically correct just jump inhere and save this guy some grief already.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
bill i think that was politically correct       

i would of just said

CANT FIX STUPID

if he wants to install that engine he mine as well put some wooden wheels under it and have some horses pull him up any hill he comes across

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »
I've only seen carbs run on offroad rigs due to lack of knowledge, funds, common sense, or a combonation of the three.

Too bad - they're lots of fun - nothing better than the opportunity to bond with others while fixing a carb'd rig on the trail. Maybe you're too choosey who you wheel with.

CANT FIX STUPID

So sad

Really - you guys are entitled to your opinions.

As I said close to the beginning of this thread I'm interested in this as I have a 401 sitting in the corner. Not sure what to do with it other than I'm darn sure it's not going to become a boat anchor. One option is it will go in a TJ, or a JK ;), another option is it will go in a rat rod jeep, or maybe I'll sell it to  one of the many people trying to convince me to let it go (if it's no good I wonder why so many people want it). Either way I'm interested in hearing what's involved to make this work, not why someone wouldn't do it.

Offline sheriff1680

• Winch Wench
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
I did a 5.2 Magnum NV3500 5 speed in my 97 TJ. I paid $300 for engine and trans from a 98 Ram roll over. Used Advance Adapter mounts (worth every penny). Did the wiring myself, it's not that hard. After I sold the original 2.5 and trans I'm up a few bucks. Great swap.... runs and drives awesome.  A few of the guy here have seen it....you can ask them how it turned out. In my opinion, it's worth the wiring to have EFI. Runs great and I get 23 to 25 mpg on the highway. 25,000 kms on the swap so far. If you're interested in a manual instead of auto I'm going to have one available soon with the ECM....

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
i have a carbureted chevy 350 in my CJ. It is a quadrajet carb. Runs like a dream onroad in all elevation changes. i did wheel it and went up a steep cutline. i was freaked out as it was the first 'test'. It ran like a dream up that hill.
Never faulted up or down hills.
However, if it had come with fuel injection, i would be happier.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
i have a carbureted chevy 350 in my CJ. It is a quadrajet carb. Runs like a dream onroad in all elevation changes. i did wheel it and went up a steep cutline. i was freaked out as it was the first 'test'. It ran like a dream up that hill.
Never faulted up or down hills.
However, if it had come with fuel injection, i would be happier.

I have heard this run and I agree it runs like a dream. The 350 small block has always been a great swap into the wranglers. I have even been told its easier to swap a small block Chevy rather than a 4.0 if you have the 4cyl wrangler.

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »
Direct quote from

Best Off Road Truck Engine Swaps
What To Shoehorn Into Your Off-Road Rig
From the December, 2009 issue of Off-Road
By Agustin Jimenez

AMC Third Gen V-8
This is one of those oddball engines that are not as mainstream as the other big three's engines but nonetheless it is a great engine that offers monstrous torque. They can be had for practically nothing and if you treat them right, they can live a long life and turn your slow Jeep into a dirt rocket.

Displacement: 304ci, 360ci and 401ci
What they came in: They were produced from '70 to '91 and were available in the Jeep CJ7, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Grand Wagoneer, J-10 and J-20 trucks
Horsepower: 125 to 255 hp
Torque: 220 to 435 lb-ft

Features: Dog leg exhaust ports which build more power than the previous designs, larger piston bores paired with shorter strokes for gobs of torque

Benefits: Inexpensive to purchase at a wrecking yard or online, not a small block Chevy, keeps your Jeep AMC powered, awesome lumpy exhaust note, produces enough power and torque to lift a 39-inch tire off the left front of a CJ-7 under hard launches

Drawbacks: Obsolete parts that can be expensive to repair or replace, stock axles and drivetrain can break under the torque of the AMC V8.

Make It Better: Install a big lumpy cam along with a set of Edelbrock AMC Performer RPM aluminum cylinder heads.

What to use it in: Any Jeep CJ7, Wrangler YJ or TJ that needs to turn massive tires and calls for a V8 that isn't a Chevy or Dodge power plant, would make a great engine choice for a class 3 desert racing Jeep

Wanna read the entire article - check it out here
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0912or_best_off_road_truck_engine_swaps/viewall.html