Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Carbureted 360 in 03 tj  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: Carbureted 360 in 03 tj
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Thats all great if you are outfitting an older rig, and while still not very practical, at least its feasable.

Going backwards in time and carburating an already fuel injected vehicle is just dumb. The losses in efficiency, and reliability alone do not make it a worthy swap in a wheeling rig.

In a resto of an older rig, or rat rig its an entirely different scenario. Those rigs are not built to wheel hard or frequently, nor are they typically daily driven.

As for the article, other then sheer stupidity, and brand loyalty, there is absolutely no reason to ever dump money into an amc motor as a "search out and swap" candidate. They are heavy, expensive to modify, and parts selection is very limited. If someone is determined to drop a carbed 8 into something, SBC's and SBF's are without a doubt the obvious choice.

As for late model wranglers, small block dodges are just a no brainer. They are fuel injected, and easily adapted into wranglers. You keep your wiring, your gauge cluster, and your transmission and t-case.

This whole conversation reminds me of my red neck neighbor up the street that wanted to put a carbed 350 in his 04 chev half ton when he blew the motor. Because he didnt know how to adjust fuel injection, and therefore it was "stupid".  ::)
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline i_go_commando

• UberWheeler
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »
one thing about the amc 360. it was never put in a cj width vehicle with a drivers side front differental. I tried it in my commando and the oil filter and exhaust manifold want to be in the same place as the frame rail on the passenger side. on the drivers side the np208 tcase wants to be in that frame rail. So in my case im going back to a passenger drop front axle and a 203/ 300 setup. Steering may also be an issue
1973 jeep commando -amc 360, 727,203/208, waggy d 44 and amc20- soa, OBA- on hiatus
1958 fc 170 cabover quad cab 3/4 pickup.continetal engine/ 700r4/ dana 300 current project

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
In a resto of an older rig, or rat rig its an entirely different scenario. Those rigs are not built to wheel hard or frequently, nor are they typically daily driven.

Congratulations....that right there is the biggest load of BS I have EVER seen on the CJA site.....and I've been here a while.

Where did you get THAT idea?  From the limited knowledge you have of older rigs, or just the incredible knowledge of the few that you have come in contact with?  There's a whole other new world out there I'm guessing you haven't seen....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:50:48 PM by dunl »
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
"One man with conviction will overwhelm a hundred who have only opinions" W. Churchill
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »
:popcorn:
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 07:29:53 AM »
Congratulations....that right there is the biggest load of BS I have EVER seen on the CJA site.....and I've been here a while.

Where did you get THAT idea?  From the limited knowledge you have of older rigs, or just the incredible knowledge of the few that you have come in contact with?  There's a whole other new world out there I'm guessing you haven't seen....

for christ sakes, cry much dunl?

Ya, because you and a handfull of others take the odd rig thats 40 years old back and forth to work, and on the odd sunday run it somehow makes it typical?

Get over yourself.

Old rigs are anything but typical on the trail, and they are not even remotely in the realm of hardcore wheeling.

Retro rigs are awesome, and to each their own as to what they do with them, but who are you trying to kid with this butt hurt act because I point out the obvious?

jesus.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »
for christ sakes, cry much dunl?

Ya, because you and a handfull of others take the odd rig thats 40 years old back and forth to work, and on the odd sunday run it somehow makes it typical?

Get over yourself.

Old rigs are anything but typical on the trail, and they are not even remotely in the realm of hardcore wheeling.

Retro rigs are awesome, and to each their own as to what they do with them, but who are you trying to kid with this butt hurt act because I point out the obvious?

jesus.

Hey, I'm not the one crying.  You're the one with the narrow mind who thinks that just because here in Alberta you don't see many of these rigs, that they "are not built to wheel hard or frequently, nor are they typically daily driven."

Give me an example as to WHY older rigs are not in the realm of hardcore wheeling.  And if you mean "truggy" type wheeling, then I would guess most newer rigs aren't in that category either.

And you think I'm touchy - who is the one that goes ballistic whenever anyone doesn't agree with them? Me thinks your the one who needs to get over yourself....just because you have an opinion, it doesn't make it a fact.  If you think it does, show me some hard fatcs here.  Put your facts where your outspoken mouth is.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »
Propriety type people are so annoying.

heaven forbid you ever  mention their particular is not perfect.

You know what dunl, there are clubs on the internet for pretty much anything you can think about. That doesnt mean that just because they exist, it makes those activities, typical of the norm.

Their are unimog sites and clubs, and there are guys that daily drive them, and wheel them. That does not make them practical, or typical among the average wheeling crowd.

Most reto rigs are not wheeled hard due to several reason. the suspension tech doesnt allow for it, the engine tech doesnt allow for it, but most of all, in most cases the owners goals are not to performance wheel the crap out of their restored classic rig.

I've worked on several resto rigs for friends, and none of them would want me to lead them on any of the hardcore runs that I do. Not only would they probably not make it, but they also dont want to risk damage to their classic rig they put so much time and effort into to restore.

There are exceptions to every rule, but to honestly consider old carburated leaf sprung rigs as what's "common" on the trails, and to think they are technically up to the task of wheeling along side fuel injected linked rigs is insanely niave.

This is just fact. It has nothing to do with opinion.

You want my opinion, I love old rigs, the character they possess, and the simplicity that comes with them. But just because I like them, doesnt mean I kid myself about what they can do, or how common they are on the trail, or on the road.

By they way, you can read here until you are blue in the face. You will never see me go off on anyone based on opinion. Thats where people on the net always get confused. The only time I rip on someone is when facts are explained to them, and they try to argue against facts using an uninformed opinion.

Just to recap so you are clear on this conversation.

Opinion = I like old rigs

fact = old rigs are not a common theme on the trail, and are not as technically capable as rigs with modern equipment

And last but not least, converting a currently fuel injected vehicle to a carburator is just stupid. I mean, that is what this covnersasion was all about until every guy in here that ever made love to a carburator had their feelings hurt  ::)

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »
Seems you forgot what you actually posted, so here it is again:

Those rigs are not built to wheel hard or frequently, nor are they typically daily driven.

The part I take issue with is that they are not built to wheel hard, or frequently.  Now if you are talking about simply restoration rigs that are built as a classic rig for show purposes, then sure, perhaps people are not going to wheel them as hard as an older rig built for wheeling.  And as I stated before, just because most of the older rigs that are restored around here are used as classics, doesn't mean that everyone uses them that way.

However, it also doesn't mean they are not as capable as some of the newer rigs.

Propriety type people are so annoying.

heaven forbid you ever  mention their particular is not perfect.

Not sure what you're talking about here....my Willys jeeps, the TJ, or the 03 Grand Cherokee?   Don't try to pigeonhole me - my particular is a jeep...old or new.  There's lots of newer rigs that (when it's finished), I'd put my 2A up against in many situations against a newer rig, and there's situations where a newer jeep would do better.
Depends on a lot of things. 

And last but not least, converting a currently fuel injected vehicle to a carburator is just stupid. I mean, that is what this covnersasion was all about until every guy in here that ever made love to a carburator had their feelings hurt 

Some people like to build things because they can.  Nothing wrong with putting a carbed engine into an older vehicle just for the challenge of it.  Not everyone has to do the normal thing, and they shouldn't be ridiculed just because it's not your cup of tea.

Bnine's opinion = old rigs are not a common theme on the trail, and are not as technically capable as rigs with modern equipment

And just to be clear....I fixed the above for you.  ;)
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »
No dunl, just because you dont want something to be true, doesnt make it any less fact.

There are close to a 100 members in this club, and I am one of less then 5 that own a jeep older then 25 years.

Everyone that wheels always thinks they wheel their crap hard, until they go out with someone that actually does. The day I see a leafed carbed cj on 33's walk double up as easily as a linked TJ is the day I will eat my works.

Welsy's yota on 39's couldnt follow me up that run because of his leaf springs alone, but a stretched and linked sammi on 33's can walk it and has on several occasions.

Propriety based individuals are narrow minded guys like you that take very biased view point on things simply because its what you run. Then get ultra defensive when anyone mentions the inherant weaknesses associated with their products. They leave logic behind, and simply argue for the sake of argueing because they ego and pride wont allow them to just accept reality.

You are no different then the poor bastard that spent 5 grand on a RE long arm at national and pimps it on the internet as the best suspension in the world because its what he spent his money on. Whenever someone tries to objectively explain the difference to him, he gets defensive and starts to cry.

Like yourself.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 11:36:30 AM »
And at the point where you can't hold a conversation and debate without making it personal and immature, that's where I stop.

You have yourself a good day.   ;)
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »
Just call it as I see it dunl. Havnt seen you post anything other then snivling dribble since you got in here. Once faced with facts you go boo hoo and take your ball home.

Have fun crying in the corner. You never should have poked your head in here in the first place.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Greg-100

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »
Hey!

OK to attack ideas.... But no need to attack the person....

Good point on fuel injection being the most common now....

Carbs can be taken apart and rebuilt in the field.... Real hard to do that with a 4L that gets a fuel issue on the trail.

Greg

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: Carbureted 360 in 03 tj
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 05:48:44 PM »
Hey!

OK to attack ideas.... But no need to attack the person....

Good point on fuel injection being the most common now....

Carbs can be taken apart and rebuilt in the field.... Real hard to do that with a 4L that gets a fuel issue on the trail.

Greg

Did you feel left out or something? couldnt let the two month old sword fight in the gas station bathroom die a proper death?

Offline Greg-100

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 07:31:14 PM »
Did not look at the dates posted, but I think my advice still stands.

Your ideas on carb verses injection are valid.

If I could suggest that you have an mature member here assist you on putting forth your ideas without causing ill will toward you.

Unfortunately,  I am not in the position to do so, as I am very well known as someone who pisses off people that think highly of themselves.

No such thing as an Irish diplomat.

All the best!

Greg