Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Anybody done DIY on-board air system  (Read 9358 times)

Offline Dirt Addiction

• Winch Wench
  • Stuck
Anybody done DIY on-board air system
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »
I would like to get an on-board air system. Anyone know of a way to do this for under $200.00? 

Offline Full Metal Jeep

• Winch Wench
Re: Anybody done DIY on-board air system
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
I know there is a way to do it by tapping into your stock air compressor (rubicons), and is a matter of rigging in a reserve tank and a few lines... but I dont know much more than that, I am going to be looking into this in more detail soon as I would like to add this option to my rubi.
"There's "to each his own" which I know all you hippies are so fond of around here, and then theres just plain stupid." ~ Bnine

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »
This is my writeup on what i hooked up...

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=21332.0

I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
I know there is a way to do it by tapping into your stock air compressor (rubicons), and is a matter of rigging in a reserve tank and a few lines... but I dont know much more than that, I am going to be looking into this in more detail soon as I would like to add this option to my rubi.

Don't those pumps only put out about 3Psi ?
Jeep
With stuff

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:59:19 PM »
you will have to gut your AC system to do it under 200$ 
it can be done though.

or just go buy an ARB compressor.  bolt in and go.

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Full Metal Jeep

• Winch Wench
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »
or just go buy an ARB compressor.  bolt in and go.

are there any benefits to going with an ARB compressor vs the Warn Power plant winches??

"There's "to each his own" which I know all you hippies are so fond of around here, and then theres just plain stupid." ~ Bnine

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
Don't those pumps only put out about 3Psi ?

The Sanden 7 series which I have puts out about 9 when converted. At least this is the general consensus... They were never spec'ed to do this so its not really posted information thats easily found :)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline IgniteTJ

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
are there any benefits to going with an ARB compressor vs the Warn Power plant winches??

I've had a couple friends run the power plant winches now and they weren't too impressed with them.. Just too much stuffed into one unit I guess?
1998 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short Box, lift and 35's going on it over the winter along with 4:10's

Offline Full Metal Jeep

• Winch Wench
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
I've had a couple friends run the power plant winches now and they weren't too impressed with them.. Just too much stuffed into one unit I guess?

yea thats what I figured.

This is my writeup on what i hooked up...

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=21332.0

that sir, is a sick set up, but a little past my skill level I think...

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
Just for tires or tools too?. I got a Viair 400h for about 220. Perfect for tires and less then an hour to install.  Add a tank later on to run tools if you want.... but IMO these setups are pretty well pointless for running air tools no matter how good they are.

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »
that sir, is a sick set up, but a little past my skill level I think...

Honestly not that hard! If you want a hand or have questions let me know. im free to answer as best I can. Just will be movin to Red Deer in the next couple weeks so wrench time will be limited...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »
The ARB is a slick little setup. 

It's a little more then $200, but it comes with everything you need.  I'm sure Stan will give you a discount as well.

http://www.northridge4x4.ca/proddetail.php?prod=ARB-PKG_JK_AIR

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
Honestly not that hard! If you want a hand or have questions let me know. im free to answer as best I can. Just will be movin to Red Deer in the next couple weeks so wrench time will be limited...

I have an air tank...I may con you into coming over to help me set something up one of these days.  :)

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
I did something very similar to what TL-Iguana did. at first a ran a external oiler, then switched over to a grease-able set up.
here is my build http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=16374.0 . You are going to have to look over the first set up and second to see the whole thing.

What are you wanting to do with the set up? unless you are willing to lose a/c or shell out the cash for a engine driven pump, you are going to be in the same boat as just getting the ARB or one of the other guys that are building the same thing. If the only resin is to run air tools, I have never used air tools on the trail. and to change a tire, you can spin the nuts off faster with a tier wrench . Kevin runs 2 sets of wheel, one street and one trail and changes in camp but he still uses the ARB. and if it is a setup to reseat a bead you can get a ARB, and a small CT pig and change it to be a reservoir for the air blast.

There is a lot of options and it comes down to what you are looking to do with the set up and how much cash you want to spend.

BTW a A/C conversion  without already having tanks will set you back just over $200 budget for $300 to be safe. Brass firings and steal braded hose is not cheap even at PA. it all adds up in a hurry.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »

i had a powerplant .. good strong but they do have issues .. so try to stay away from them
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer