Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Anybody done DIY on-board air system  (Read 9340 times)

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
Re: Anybody done DIY on-board air system
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
Well I really want to hear that story  ;D
What year caddy?

It was an 81 Caddy.  Bought it in Thorsby, for the Buick 4.1 V6 engine.  Plush carpet throughout, but had been beat up too much to restore (backed into, etc).

Had to drive it back.....felt like a big comfy plush couch, and drove like a sportscar.  :)

Luke - it's a big azz Harrison 365....that's all I know about it.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Dirt Addiction

• Winch Wench
  • Stuck
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
WOW! Some aweome advice in here but it looks like I would be biting off more than I'm willing to chew. I think I will hold off until I can get the ARB compressor.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback everyone.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »
The power tank is simpler and more effective then any other oba out there. Only down side is having it filled, but you can fill 35's over a dozen times on one tank. You shouldn't have to fill one more then once a season. Filling them is about 60$.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »
The power tank is simpler and more effective then any other oba out there. Only down side is having it filled, but you can fill 35's over a dozen times on one tank. You shouldn't have to fill one more then once a season. Filling them is about 60$.

My tank cost more then my OBA setup initially, and recurring costs versus zero for my Viair. Tank took up precious space, OBA uses zero(under hood). Power tank required me to not be lazy and get it filled. Viair doesnt care, will fill hundreds and hundreds of 35s before it craps out.

Some may find the OBA simpler and more effective :)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »
I've run almost a dozen viar compressors. I have dual viar's and dual tanks on my TJ. I find Viar setups to be expensive, and extremely slow. Even with the 2 largest compressors they have and five gallons at 200 psi it takes me longer to fill 1 38" tire with the viar then it does for me to fill all 4 using my tank.

Viars are susceptable to elements and will crap the bed when they get dirty. I've killed a couple, and had a couple in my shop that died.

Viars do die with excessive usuage.

Without a tank viars are PAINFULLY slow. With that said, I dont see the point about a power tank taking up space. Its the same size as the 5g viar tank that comes in their kits.

I used viars almost exclusively for about 7 years. Had a powertank for 2 now and would never look back.

Sell your tank yet?
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »
I dont run a tank, just the compressor under the hood. So ya... saves a lot of room over my old power tank. I sold that tank when I picked up my current compressor... about 4 years ago. Still have  my old one in the YJ, going almost 8 years without a single issue. I was filling my tank about twice a year... enough to buy 4 of my Viairs over the years if I didnt switch. I can air up 8 33s in less then 15 minutes. Not as quick as my power tank, but its more reliable and I ALWAYS have air so Ill live with it.

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Another option is the Extremeaire, although a bit more expensive. 

I don't run a tank, just a little bigger then a vair 450, and has been problem free for the past 7yrs.  Suites me fine for airing up and the occationally use it to reseat a bead. 

Specs:
-1.5 HP Motor
-95 amps @ 12.5 Volts DC
-Continuous Duty @ 150 psi
-6 CFM @ 0 psi
-2.6 CFM @ 100 psi
-Weight: 20 lbs.
-Dimensions: 16" long x 6" wide x 9.5" tall
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:57 AM »
I can air up 8 33s in less then 15 minutes.

I guess it would work for you if you arent really airing down. The biggest viar out there takes almost 15 minutes to take one 33 from 4lbs to 20-24lb. But if all you are doing is 12-15lbs up to 20 or so then yeah, it might be alright.

Which by the way if you arent airing down below 8, there is literally no point in airing down at all. If the tire doesnt fold, there's no noticeable gain in performance.

You're looking at about 700$ for my big viar setup and it cant do 4 33's in 15 minutes if really aired down. Let alone 8.

So I guess it depends on your application, but it should be made clear that viar's are definately very slow. Same as those ARB pumps that claim they do tires.

Also if you have multiple rigs, a tow rig, or ride shot gun with friends who dont have air, the portability of the powertank is nice.

The ability to run tools is also nice, but it will eat up your tank.

I disagree with the reliability statement. Just because your's has been reliable, doesnt make an electrical compressor more reliable then a tank and certainly not simpler by any means.

It doesnt get simpler or more reliable then a tank. There's no moving parts or electrical.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
Another option is the Extremeaire, although a bit more expensive. 

I don't run a tank, just a little bigger then a vair 450, and has been problem free for the past 7yrs.  Suites me fine for airing up and the occationally use it to reseat a bead. 

Specs:
-1.5 HP Motor
-95 amps @ 12.5 Volts DC
-Continuous Duty @ 150 psi
-6 CFM @ 0 psi
-2.6 CFM @ 100 psi
-Weight: 20 lbs.
-Dimensions: 16" long x 6" wide x 9.5" tall

Thats a good inbetween compressor. Its almost as fast as my dual viars.  The only reason I fill his 4th tire is because I tanks charged at 200psi.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »
The ARB's have a built-in pressure switch. So you can connect your hose, run the compressor, fill your tires, and the compressor will shutoff when you are mucking about in between tires. Saves the hoses.

I've run a single viair, and I have to be careful when I'm in between tires, the pump will run till the hose blows. So I have to keep the trigger and vent depressed on my stem connection device.

My dual viair setup is nearly complete, just need to mount and plumb and connect to my already installed harness. I've built a storage tank of custom dimensions to fit someplace interesting.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
The ARB's have a built-in pressure switch. So you can connect your hose, run the compressor, fill your tires, and the compressor will shutoff when you are mucking about in between tires. Saves the hoses.

I've run a single viair, and I have to be careful when I'm in between tires, the pump will run till the hose blows. So I have to keep the trigger and vent depressed on my stem connection device.

My dual viair setup is nearly complete, just need to mount and plumb and connect to my already installed harness. I've built a storage tank of custom dimensions to fit someplace interesting.

I use open ended tire chucks for airing up.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »

Yeah, one reason a tank is nice.

One thing I used to do when I ran a single viar on Denise's rig is on the way out, I would do a tire, then drive while the tank filled, then do another tire.

Using the 2.5g tank at 175 psi I could do a 33 in a minute or two, versus waiting the 10-15 minutes per tire after the first one if I did them all in a row.

Having a tank is good for that type of stuff, and for seating beads.

I cant imagine not having a clamp style chuck with a viar pump. As fun as squatting beside a tire for ten minutes at a time sounds....................no thanks
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
Bang for your buck I am seriously looking at this unit

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-A_ACK&Category_Code=A

This air compressor will fill tires faster that any Viair, faster than the Quick Air 1, 2 or 3, and faster than the Extremeaire!

Output: 3.4 CFM at 40psi and 3.0 CFM at 90psi
Dimensions: 18" long X 6" wide X 15" tall
Weight: 28lbs

Pretty sure you could probably find the exact same compressor they use on ebay or something for less money, still is convenient though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:59:16 AM by Jrama »

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »
So you have to wonder, how does that comrpessor put out 3 cfm at 90 psi with only drawing 30 amps, and the extreme puts out 2.6 cfm at 100 while drawing 95 amps, and compared to most viars that put out just shy of 2 with about 25 amps.

Do you want to know how? I'll explain. They are all pretty much the same thing with minor variances in sizes and reporting stats. At the end of the day, just get the cheapest one you can find cause they all do the exact same thing which is make a bunch of noise and fill your tires very slowly while you shoot the crap with the guys at the end of a trail run.................lol

At least that ironrock has a wee tank on it and puts out a little more then a big viar.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
My compressor from titan winch in Ontario puts put about the same in cfm drawing 45 amps. And all for about $ 150 cdn. 33 inch tire in just over a minute from trail pressure to highway pressure.