Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Fenders, which ones...?  (Read 1954 times)

RUBICON13

Fenders, which ones...?
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:50:23 AM »
So,

Due to some recent trail damage to one of my fenders I am considering replacing them all.

I have a 2007 JKU (4-door). So, what do you all recommend for replacement fenders?

I am considering the bushwackers because they seem to be of pretty good quality, are reasonably priced, and appear to be street legal (have running light on front ones). I am also considering 35" tires in the future...

I am also considering some LoD rock sliders which extend out beyond my stock rock sliders which may help in preventing the trail damage I got recently (I slid sideways into a big rut and contacted with some hard ground mostly with my rear passenger door).

Thanks for your advice!

Jeff

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
Re: Fenders, which ones...?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
I know there are mixed opinions on fenders, but I am starting to seriously consider the ACE fenders.  Full steel, and $600 for the full set.  Most steel fenders are running $400-$500 for a pair.

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JK-Tubular-Fenders_p_32.html

The only thing I don't know if I like about them is the width.

I do like the look of the bushwackers as well though.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:35:35 PM by AstraX »

RUBICON13

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Astra,

Those do look nice but, as you elude to, the width is a problem (they would not be street legal even with stock tires). Also, I could not tell from the picture if they have the required street legal running light on the front ones.

Thanks anyway,

Jeff

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
Are you planning on putting on larger/wider tires?  You likely wont be street legal then.   ;D

As for the side marker light, a lot of aftermark fenders don't have them, you can get a cheap bracket to mount the factory light housing on the inside of the fender wall.  If you are really concerned about the light, I think your options are Bushwacker or PSC.

Offline AstraX

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »
If I was running a JK would prolly look at the Xenon

http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/xenon_showcase/

RUBICON13

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
Thanks guys. Those all look nice!

You sure aren't making my decision easy... ;D

Jeff

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
Are you planning on putting on larger/wider tires?  You likely wont be street legal then.   ;D

There are a few brands of flat fenders out there that will allow a JK running 12.5" wide tires on wheels with 4.5" backspacing to stay street legal (full fender coverage). I doesn't look like the ACE fenders are one of them. The ACE fends do look sharp, and it looks like neat fab work - but I see a big problem with the design.

If you bolt a stout steel tube fender directly onto the flimsy sheet metal of your quarter panel, you're going to transmit any hit that the fender takes straight into the body. Steel tube fenders that are anchored only to the body would mean that the slide that Jeff took on New Year's day would have resulted in some pretty interesting sheet metal wrinkling instead of just busting some easily replaceable plastic bits.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
Bushwacker flat fenders have served me well, they take a beating, flex and bounce back. The ones on my TJ have been ripped off many times and they are easy enough to get back on.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12:55 PM »
Street legal?

Nah... Im good...

Offline 4Banger_madness

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 10:25:52 PM »
I just installed the 1.5" wider than stock xenon flares on my 2011