Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: My Injector Upgrade Experience  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
My Injector Upgrade Experience
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:52:13 PM »
Was reading a bunch of online forums on the jeep injector upgrades and how the mustang ones plug right in, but flow a lil bit heavy for a stock config.  Was just about to order them up when i came across an article talking about the Neon's injectors and how they flow nearly identical, but are a 4 hole set up vs a single hole. After a few trips to my local wreckers i was able to get a few rails to play with.  the numbers i was looking for are Bosch 0 280 155 703's and the 0 280 155 784's.  They are both the same, but the 703's ended up having a older style injector clip and the 784's were a direct fit.  I ended up converting two of my clips to match the 703's and will go back to the stock set up when i find more later on.

First thoughts were how much better the jeep started and idled.  super smooth.  not much more power that i can see, but i haven't been to WOT or in the crap with it yet.  but the fuel economy has been a major improvement.  with a light foot to break in my new gears, i am getting almost twice as much to my tank as normal.  but as my regular driving style, i am going to estimate a good 20% gain if not more. Will know more once i fill up and take a known distance cruise to edmonton from red deer.

This is something i would recommend most users looking into.  it was a simple job done on my gravel pad.  in and out in an hour, and most of that was cleaning the injector areas before i took them out.  

**EDIT**  running a 4.0 in a 2kTJ
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:53:56 PM by Nootch »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: My Injector Upgrade Experience
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:57:43 PM »
your gains are likely because of the gear swap, not the injectors..............
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:13:05 AM »
aye the start up and idle is a great thing that it all worked out, but what new gears did you put in? what size tires.
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »
I swapped in the yellow top mustang injectors into my YJ and it definitely was more responsive and my fuel economy increased (approx 2l/100km improvement).  However, that was probably more due to the fact that I replaced the original injectors after 250,000 kms.

My Jeep runs a lot better after the swap
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »
good swap. what year of neons did you get the injectors from? the part numbers should help though.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
The gears would def figure some of it into the equation, but i had put 4 tanks through the gears before the injectors.  wasn't a big gain there as my highway speeds on 3.07's with 35's was 3rd gear.  now with 5th gear (using 4.88's) i am running near the same rpm's.

what i found locally was a bunch of 0 280 155 703's and some 0 280 155 784's, as see on the side of the injector.  the 784's are a direct fit to the wiring harness, and the 703's need to convert the wiring. but they are the same guts inside for the injectors.

the chart i used was this

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
what i found locally was a bunch of 0 280 155 703's and some 0 280 155 784's, as see on the side of the injector.  the 784's are a direct fit to the wiring harness, and the 703's need to convert the wiring. but they are the same guts inside for the injectors.

703's are most easily found in Stratuses and Cirruses, I never did find a Neon in the JY with them. EV3 rebuild kits (filters/o-rings/caps) are available online for pretty cheap.

I think the injector plug change happened in '99, the older models have the Jetronic/Minitimer connector while the newer ones use the USCAR connector. I believe you are correct that the internals of the 784s and 703s are identical but I've only flow-benched the 703s so I don't know for sure.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:10:03 PM »
after some more driving i am noticing that these were the way to go.  getting about 80k a tank more right now i figure. going from my place to Northridge and back used to be 3/8 a tank, now its 1/4