Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: alberta vehicle equipment regulations  (Read 23849 times)

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
Re: alberta vehicle equipment regulations
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 03:46:38 AM »
What are your plans for insurance / vehicle inspection?

its still insured and plated ..so it does not need an inspection     i just need it to get through this summer and in the fall ill be buying a deisel and trailer
but for this summer i need to be able to get to and from the trails

i guess ill find out soon
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 04:21:42 AM »
I'm sure if Lester can drive around town in his monster dakota you will be fine, same goes for Rick down at Emortal and his Big Blue Jeep when he had it.

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:24:36 AM by jeepjones »

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 10:42:37 PM »
Ive never been HASSLED about my lack of fender coverage and Ive always been left ALONE about missing mudflaps.

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 10:26:50 PM »
going back to the lights again,

I have 5 lights on the top of me xj, 2 big on the out side and 3 small on the inside and with only covers on the 2 bigger ones. A cop siad to me once that i would be able to light up the trail when i went down it and nothing more. I do believe its how and who you are talking to that will make all the differences when talking to the law!

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
going back to the lights again,

I have 5 lights on the top of me xj, 2 big on the out side and 3 small on the inside and with only covers on the 2 bigger ones. A cop siad to me once that i would be able to light up the trail when i went down it and nothing more. I do believe its how and who you are talking to that will make all the differences when talking to the law!

Letter of the law says they need to be covered since they are above the headlights. If you get a nice cop, you might not get a ticket.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »
If you're in Sylvan Lake, they might ticket you anyway.  Regardless if they're covered or not. Especially with a lack of tourists and anything else worthwhile to do besides tickets.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Letter of the law says they need to be covered since they are above the headlights. If you get a nice cop, you might not get a ticket.

Have to get ride of the xj for the new 2012 jk but looking at lights again for the windshield but will make sure that this time they some with covers!

What if you make your own covers will this still be good? Ducktape?

Offline Sugarphreak

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
Ive never been HASSLED about my lack of fender coverage and Ive always been left ALONE about missing mudflaps.

THIS... My tires stick out about an extra inch and a half, plus no mud flaps... I drive pretty courteously and have never been hassled.

Mud flaps are also a very subjective area of the law. They are required for ""multi-purpose passenger" vehicles, but not "passenger" vehicles.

Vehicle Equipment regulation: Section 64
1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.

2) The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1) must be above each wheel and
-(a) Extend downwards at the rear of each axle of axle group to at least the centre line of the axle, or
-(b) Be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least 1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the mud guard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to the ground than 150mm when the vehicle is loaded.

4) A passenger vehicle is not required to have a mudguard

If you check your vehicle registration, it should be passenger (well mine is anyway, Jeeps might fall into that ""multi-purpose passenger" category).

But it is definitely subjective; however I do know a somebody who received a handful of "no mud flap" tickets and hired a lawyer that successfully beat them in court.
I wanted a Jeep... but the wife gave me a Hummer!

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:16 PM »
anyone have the excerpt for the third brake light?  I though we could get away without it in Alberta... oops...
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
anyone have the excerpt for the third brake light?  I though we could get away without it in Alberta... oops...
"... oops..."   sounds like there's a story there :(
2006 Rubicon LJ (Unlimited) Mostly Stock

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 10:30:17 PM »

Brake lamp

18(1) A motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle or moped, and the
last vehicle in a train of vehicles must have at least 2 brake lamps
mounted at the rear.

(2) A motor cycle, moped or power bicycle must have at least one
brake lamp mounted at the rear.

(3) A trailer must have at least 2 brake lamps mounted at the rear if
it is 760 millimetres wide or wider.

(4) A trailer that is less than 760 millimetres wide, including its
load, must have at least one brake lamp mounted at the rear.

(5) The brake lamps on the right and left rear of the widest vehicle
in a train of vehicles must be visible from behind the last vehicle in
the train of vehicles.

(6) If a motor vehicle has a centre high mounted brake lamp
installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle, the centre high
mounted brake lamp must be maintained in good working order
and to the manufacturer’s specifications.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »
So far been driving my jeep with 42/15.5  around with no mud flaps and haven't been pulled over yet
I will be installing mud flaps but just been to busy with other things to fab up brackets

Passed 2 cops today they looked but didn't seem to care

And the entire 15.5 inches of rubber is pass the body line
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline xjpete

• Baby Wheeler
  • New ride
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
 ;)
97 XJ,8'' LA ,35's , SBC .
98 ZJ daily driver .

Offline xjpete

• Baby Wheeler
  • New ride
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:23 PM »
If you or law enforcement are questioning any of your modifications . Take some pics with a description send it to the office in Edmonton and they will decide . Thats what I have done for out of province inspections and commercial vehicle inspections .
97 XJ,8'' LA ,35's , SBC .
98 ZJ daily driver .