Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: running with big tires...  (Read 2243 times)

Offline newfie glass

• UberWheeler
running with big tires...
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
so im getting to the point where my 80 gmc will be drivable and i am trying to find out if i encounter any problems with law enforcement. Im running with a 6" lift and 39.5 tires. fenders were unfortunately cut by the P.O.
anyone have any issues with their big jeep or truck
Quality Paintless dent repair
403-807-1042

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
Re: running with big tires...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
I've yet to be pulled over for tires passing fenders or no mudflaps.  Call me lucky

I've been pulled over for speeding but never any mention bout tires

In 4 weeks time I'll ne trying again with 42" tires under a jeep. Ok not under but beside lol
I'm running full width diffs and 42x15.5   And all 15.5 inches are out side of the tub
I plan on very large mudflaps and no fender flares at all

The law in Calgary is very grey so I'm sure I'll be pulled over but I'll try to fight it
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »
Actually, it's not grey at all. If you don't have fenders that cover the full width and mudflaps that cover to the halfway point on your tire, then you're not legal and the cops can fine you if they like.

That said, my JK wasn't truly "legal" when I drove it off the lot - it didn't come with mudflaps. And I've been running it for better than two years without full fender coverage...and I haven't had any issues at all. Unless you run into a cop that has an axe to grind, or your drive like a jackhole, or you speed a lot, or you squirt off a cop for some reason...you probably won't get hassled.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
And if you are pulled over, don't get an attitude. If they feel like it, they can issue a separate $57 ticket for each missing mudflap and each instance of missing fender coverage.

I've been warned twice for fenders and flaps.

Offline priceless

• Winch Wench
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:16 PM »
I've been warned twice as well.

Once i was stopped on a beautiful Sunday morn just to tell me about Alberta law
and the second at a Christmas check stop.

Police both times were really happy with my home made mud flaps on the rear, but say they have to be on the front aswell. They didn't care to much for the tires sticking out past the fender.... say i need some of those fancy over priced bolt on jobs  ::) 

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:45 AM »
Actually, it's not grey at all. If you don't have fenders that cover the full width and mudflaps that cover to the halfway point on your tire, then you're not legal and the cops can fine you if they like.

That said, my JK wasn't truly "legal" when I drove it off the lot - it didn't come with mudflaps. And I've been running it for better than two years without full fender coverage...and I haven't had any issues at all. Unless you run into a cop that has an axe to grind, or your drive like a jackhole, or you speed a lot, or you squirt off a cop for some reason...you probably won't get hassled.

ive been looking for the so called fender law and this is all i can find

Mudguards
64(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a
fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.
(2) The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1)
must be above each wheel and
(a) extend downwards at the rear of each axle or axle group to
at least the centre line of the axle, or
(b) be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least
1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the
Section 65 AR 122/2009
VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION
mudguard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to
the ground than 150 millimetres when the vehicle is
loaded.
(3) In addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the following
types of vehicle must be equipped with rear wheel splash and
stone-throw protection that complies with SAE Standard J682:
(a) a commercial vehicle or combination of commercial
vehicles that is registered for a gross weight of more than,
or that weighs more than, 4500 kilograms and that is not a
bus;
(b) a bus;
(c) a trailer.
(4) A passenger car is not required to have a mudguard.
(5) This section does not apply to a trailer designed and
constructed for drive-on and drive-off low loads.

and from this i see it as i need one of the 3   body part or a fender or a mudflap covering above my tire down to center of the axle

i started a whole new thread with stuff we all have been wondering about

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:41:51 AM »
And if you are pulled over, don't get an attitude. If they feel like it, they can issue a separate $57 ticket for each missing mudflap and each instance of missing fender coverage.

I've been warned twice for fenders and flaps.

X2

Used to get pulled over on the QEII all the time when i was dailying my jeep to work in Edmonton from Millet. I started to see the same RCMP officer over and over and I dont know how he didnt recognize me or the Jeep as he warned me that next time Id get the tickets. Over and over probably 5 times over a year. It is $57 per corner if you are not so lucky, but usually they are cool about it. I always just said the flaps were on the farm and I was headin right back to put em on....... ;)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline newfie glass

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
thanks for the info guys. seems like i will be fine driving from cochrane to mclean. but i guess ill never know until i drive it.
Quality Paintless dent repair
403-807-1042

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
I get stopped all the time as everyone has seen my jeep and i have rear mud flaps and they still fu@k me over. IT'S ALL GOOD just drive and it is what it is . So we have big tires everyone one should have a set  ;D