Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: lift or bumper?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
lift or bumper?
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »
so i cant decided to get a 4.5 lift kit in my xj or a frount and rear bumper with tire carry.  Right now I am going for more of the bumper because of the tow points for wheeling now but on the other hand a lift would be cool to get too. The only problem i have is that i might have to drive back to Ontario soon, so i would think to save gas a lift kit would be better and less weight.

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
Re: lift or bumper?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »
If you have no tow points at all I would go with the bumpers but if u do I would go with the lift
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
The lift would likely be worse for fuel economy than installing two heavy bumpers.

Does the lift option also include going with bigger tires at the same time? If not it seems redundant.

Offline johndeeretimex

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »
it would just be the lift no new tires yet

Offline bradley

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
If you arent going with bigger tires along with the lift i would just go with the bumpers
2002 jeep tj, 7 inch lift with long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear, 37x12.5x15 maxxis creepy crawler tires, custom front and rear bumpers, 12000 winch, G2 dana 44 front with detroit locker, 44 rear with spool, custom rear skins and flares, sye kit

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
I went with a lift for my XJ before the bumpers. Reason being, for a decent price you can get a rear tow point that fits in to your hitch adapter from any one of the reputable shops on the board here, and if you dont have a hitch for the rear, then you can pick one up used off the board too. Just ask. For the fronts you can get tow hooks that bolt on, again for a very decent price. Tough decision to make for sure, I do see your point, but the lift happens to be what I did first based on the fact that I was using my jeep out on the farm to get more work done than wheeling, and it happened to help with the larger tires to do just that :)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD