Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 33" Tires on TJ  (Read 2981 times)

Offline canthonyparkinson

• Winch Wench
33" Tires on TJ
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »
I am begining to plan for the upgrade of the tires on my TJ to 33" in a year or two.  (I need to save my pennies).

I am interested in more experienced peoples thoughts on what upgrades are needed to accomodate the 33s.

In particular, do I need

Lift kit (how large)
Slip Yoke Eliminator
Ring & Pinion (Currently 3.73)
Fender Flares
Anything else I missed.

Thanks

Anthony
Anthony Parkinson
2013 JKU Rubicon

Offline WagoneerXJ

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Bagon Wagon!
Re: 33" Tires on TJ
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
With my girlfriend's 97 TJ, 33's on 15x8 rims fit ok with a 2 inch spacer lift. Not too much room for articulation, but it's mostly for street driving. I did add a 2" body lift later on and there is plenty of room. So a 3" or 4" lift will accomodate 33's just fine and you can wheel it.

I didn't need an SYE, but I only have 2" of suspension lift. More lift might require one. I added the 7" wide flares later on, as the wheels and tires stuck out a few inches. They aren't bushwacker flares, just the stock type that are much wider. Got them from Quadratec.com.

This 97 TJ also has 3.73s in it. It's do able with 33's. You and I got lucky, as most TJ's got 3.07 gears with a 4.0.
98 XJ Sport 2 Dr, 3", 33's and Bushwacker Flat Flares
87 XJ Wagoneer 5", Dana 44, 34" Swamper TSL's
97 TJ 5.2 Magnum V8 swap, 4" and 33" MTZ's- GF's Jeep
84 Mustang GT-Built 351W 5spd
97 XJ - 3.5", 31" BFG. 370,000 KMS and counting!

Offline Dagoose

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
What type of wheeling are you planning on doing and how much do you plan on spending?

There's a million different options out there.

When I was on 33x12.5 tires, I had a 4 inch procomp lift (wouldn't recommend), with a t-case drop (also no), bushwacker pocket flares (again, no) aftermarket wheels with the proper backspace and stock 3.73 gears and the 4.0 manual. The gears were livable, but they were pretty terrible on the highway, I had to down shift to 3rd sometimes to go up a hill.

I just helped Kyle (firstimer) with his build and he's set up really nicely now. 2.5 OME lift, Currie arms all around, 4.10 gears, 1 inch body lift and 1 inch motor mount lift, bushwacker flat flares. If I were still running 33's and had to start from scratch, I would probably go that route and add a slip yoke eliminator. 4.56 gears would be ideal. If you're running 12.5 wide tires, you'll need either aftermarket wheels or spacers.

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »
I've got 33x12.5 with spacers. 3.25" RC lift and it fits currently. Also re geared to 4.56 and other than a magical front ds vib all is well.
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

• Winch Wench
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
Unforunately, I have discovered that I was misinformed, the current Diff ratio is 3.08.  I determined this my using the following web site:

http://www.roversd1.nl/sd1web/wheelcalc.html

I tested the TJ and @ 2250 RPM in 4th gear (1:1) I was going 100 KPH (62 MPH) on my 29" Tires, this is a perfect match for 3.08.

Bummer, Now I will definitely have to do a ring/pinion swap as well.

Anthony
Anthony Parkinson
2013 JKU Rubicon

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

I just helped Kyle (firstimer) with his build and he's set up really nicely now. 2.5 OME lift, Currie arms all around, 4.10 gears, 1 inch body lift and 1 inch motor mount lift, bushwacker flat flares. If I were still running 33's and had to start from scratch, I would probably go that route and add a slip yoke eliminator. 4.56 gears would be ideal. If you're running 12.5 wide tires, you'll need either aftermarket wheels or spacers.

This is essentially an ideal set up on 33's. To work towards progressively without wasting money on the same parts multiple times you would want to start with the body and motor mount lift. Then continue to work your way from there.

Gears are not absolutely necessary. You can put them off, you would just eliminate the need for 5th gear until you could eventually afford the regear.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:22 PM »
Gears are not absolutely necessary. You can put them off, you would just eliminate the need for 5th gear until you could eventually afford the regear.

and a locker.

Fixed it for you :P

but yeah I agree, generally around 3-4" of combined lift seems like the norm.
I've got a BL and MML in the garage right now, just need to get off my arse and do it.
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

• Winch Wench
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
 :( Now for the hard part. How much is al this going to cost.

I am not one who do much if any of this work myself.  I am interested in ball park (budgetary) costs for professionally installed

Lift Kit
SYE
Ring and Pinion

Lockers?

Axle Swap?

Anthony Parkinson
2013 JKU Rubicon

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
Call Dave at broken axle. I think he still has a deal on installs going. Even if he doesnt, his rates are very competitive

• Winch Wench
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »
Perhaps I wasn't completely clear, I am not ready to move on this (perhaps a whole year away).  I am just trying to find ballpark costing since in my ignorance, I am anable to say it installing a lift kit (for example) would cost $100 or $10,000. 

Can anyone give me enough info so that I can calculate how much I need to save up (within 20%) say

Thanks

Anthony
Anthony Parkinson
2013 JKU Rubicon

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:44:06 AM »
Phone Dave at Broken Axle or Jay at Chanda or some other shop and get a quote!   Then you will have a ball park number
04 TJ Rubi

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
Cost can vary tremendously depending on whether or not your willing to do the installation of certain components yourself. It's definitely worth while to try and install what you can with your own two hands.

The lift kit, flares and SYE are very doable by a backyard mechanic if you read a couple of write ups and following instructions....you'll probably need a trip or 5 to princess auto to get tools, but they are all cheap.

Another bonus to working on your own Jeep is that you will know how it works and have a much better idea of how to fix it on the trail or wherever, whenever something goes wrong. Plus maintenance on a lifted Jeep is very high, your way better off learning how to do it yourself now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:53:46 PM by Jrama »

• Winch Wench
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
Unfortunately, as I said, I am not in a position to do much if any of the work myself.  I don't have the tools and I don't even have a garage just a driveway and that is not completely flat. 

I am just trying to get a budgetary number at this time.

Anthony
Anthony Parkinson
2013 JKU Rubicon

Offline FirstTimer

• That CB Yapper
  • Gettin there!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
Since so many people are talking about me I thought I'd chime in.
First things first, as mentioned youll need atleast a 15x8 wheel for your 33s if your going to go with a 12.5" wide tire, and you' ll need atleast 3.75" of backspacing which can be achieved with proper aftermarket rims or spacers.  Also you'll need wider fendor flares, if your concerned about tickets, as your tires will now stick out.  
I paid $1200 for five wheels ( stock Jeep Ravines used), tires (3 used, 2 new), 4 spacers, and used fender flares.
Next thing I did was the motor mount and body lift. In my case this was to avoid doing a t case drop and with an sye cv shaft combo in the future allow for a tummy tuck skid plate.
I paid ~$ 200 with my lift kit.
I drove and wheeled a couple of times like this with the only issue being some power loss at high speeds due to the 307 gears.
At this point I spent a year thinking about what I wanted my jeep to be able to do which I suggest you do to. In my case it is currently a daily driver, which I wheel occasionally but in the future when I can add another vehicle to the fleet the TJ will be for hot summer day driving and wheeling only.  In which case the parts I chose would be suitable and or upgradeable.  
Unfortunately I cant tell you much more about prices as I bought used, traded up and did a lot of the work myself with friends. And the parts I bought new are the same price wherever you go.  My suggestion take your time, check kijiji and the for sale forum in here often, make some friends and enjoy it. You will spend more then you planned and at that point you wont care cuz you will have now caught the disease!
Check out my build thread for more info.  
http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=23707.0
02' Black TJ Apex on 33s, 2.5"  OME HD lift, Currie JJ CA on all four corners, 4:10 axles, Husky-Liner Rear Swing-Away Bumper and Bushwackers Flat Flares.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
liftkit: 2" - 3" kit 300 to 2000$ depending quality of parts used 500 - 1000 for install
SYE: 600" for driveshaft and kit.  another 500 for install
regear (ring and pinion) 800$ in parts another 1000 - 1500 in install.
lockers. selectable locker 1000 - 1200 per axle
auto locker (aussie) 300$ - 400 per axle.

you might as well do the gears and lockers at the same time.

so to reiterate.  lift kit to fit 33s.  budget 3k (including install)
tires and wheels.  1500 maybe?
gears; 2k EASY with install. add another 2500 for selectable lockers

also remember, when you make this jump you will likely eat ball joints, unit bearings and tierods in the first year, if they all ready aren't gone

THIS IS BALL PARK. call DAve at Broken Axle or Jay at Chanda and they will be able to quote you something accurate that suits your needs.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build