Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Aussie Lockers  (Read 8541 times)

HBZ

Aussie Lockers
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 04:42:53 PM »
Or...

Get locked and spend less time stuck,
and wheel with a buddy or two.

my 2 cents

youngen18

Aussie Lockers
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 06:07:23 PM »
Quote from: "henry"
Absolutely get a WINCH first.  Lockers will not get you home, a winch might. 8)

True but my friends winch does. We'll see what happends as time comes i guess. :p

Abrasive

Aussie Lockers
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 06:29:19 PM »
Don't be "That Guy"

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Aussie Lockers
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 07:58:19 PM »
If you are relying on a friends winch because you want to get lockers first, then you have got something wrong.  These are the situations were you landing up spending a night in the bush because the winch you were relying on broken down

ABSOLUTELY GET A WINCH FIRST!!!
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
Aussie Lockers
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on putting a lunch box locker on the front axle of TJ, which does not have selectable hubs. Even though in theory an Aussie type locker should not lock unless there is power applied, It just doesn't sound like the best idea to me.
I would think with locked hubs you should have a selectable locker, or put in a manual hub kit, which is probably a good idea anyway.
Ian
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
Aussie Lockers
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »
Quote from: "youngen18"
Quote from: "henry"
Absolutely get a WINCH first.  Lockers will not get you home, a winch might. 8)

True but my friends winch does. We'll see what happends as time comes i guess. :p

Yeah, but if you are going up a hill and you friend is behind you and can't get past, what are you going to do?
And sometimes one winch is not enough. Sometimes your buddies winch won't work, And sometimes you will be silly enough to go out by yourself.
These are all my experiences.

A winch should be the very first mod to a jeep.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
Aussie Lockers
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 09:48:33 PM »
TJ54 since the TJ axles are always turning in the front, I don't think whether you had power going to them or not, I think it would still lock up, especially in corners.

A YJ might be a little better because of the 3-piece axle setup but still, I would not run a automatic in the front unless I had manual hubs
'95 YJ with a few mods

Abrasive

Aussie Lockers
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 10:03:37 PM »
The Mysterious Workings of an Automatic Locker (as I understand it, and, most importantly, in theory)

And automatic locker, be it Detroit, powertrx, aussie, etc. all work on the same principle. The only difference is how the mechanism go about achieving said goal.
When going in a straight line, the locker is engaged.
As soon as one wheel wants to spin, all torque is removed from that wheel.
Therefore, if one tire is up in the air, that tire will want to spin faster. This will then cause the automatic locker to disenguage power to that wheel and apply  all the torque to the wheel that has traction.
When turning, the outside wheel must turn faster than the inside wheel (unless your spinning your tires around a corner), therefore, the automatic locker will disenguage all torque to the outside wheel, and supply 100% of the power to the inside wheel (read: the wheel that is turning slower).
Once the vehicle is straight again, the wheels will turn at the same speed, therefore locking the locker again, and providing equal torque to both axles.

Now, If you get on the throttle too much and spin the inside tire while turning, then it will catch up to the speed with which the outside wheel is spinning and the locker will enguage. But as long as you keep your foot out of it, you shouldn't have any problems. So, if you've got a front locker (particularily in the winter time), you're going to have to be conscientious of the fact that if you lose traction with your inside wheel, your locker will engage.

Note, that I do NOT have a front locker. This is all information that I've been able to gather from Mr. Cole (the fellow that runs Torq Masters) and people that have run automatic front lockers.

$0.02

Kris

P.S. With regards to street driving, automatic lockers are designed to disengage when turning a corner.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
Aussie Lockers
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 10:20:15 PM »
That is mostly true, however you got it backwards, when going straight the locker is disengaged because there is no power going to the locker since the hypothetical spider gears are not turning.  As soon as the tires start to turn at different rates (ie corning or offroad) and under power, it locks up and delievers 100% of the power to BOTH tires.  The is why when a tire is in the air and locked it will still turn.

See the thing with automatic lockers is that if there is no power to them they act like an open diff.  This is why coasting around corners does not adverse effects on the vehicle with the locker locking up.

Anyways enough for one night and just my comments
'95 YJ with a few mods

Abrasive

Aussie Lockers
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 10:33:14 PM »
I HATE to argue with someone MUCH more experienced than I, such as yourself, but that isn't the way that the Aussie Locker is designed (read: supposed) to work.

I may well be wrong, and have it all backwards, but here's a link to an explanation on the subject from the manager of Torq Master (the company that distributes Aussi Lockers), as well as a link to their "How it works" page.

The quote is posted by "aussielocker". It's about half way [EDIT: more like 3/4 of the way down] down the second page.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167389&page=2&pp=25

The section in the "How it works" page is listed as "Simple explanation of the "Aussie Lockers" operation"

http://www.offroadlockers.com/works.php/TM4900c0/9000/.html

As I stated before, I may well be the victim of good marketing, but it seems that the locker is "supposed" to disengage the outside wheel in a turn."

Kris

P.S. If my post reads as being sarcastic or disrespectful, I assure you that it is not. I'm the first one to admit that I'm new to this whole scene and I would not want to come off as being condecending or "know it all"ish. I'm just sharing what I've been able to gather, and if someone has better information, I'd love if they would please post it to correct any false understandings I very well may have.

Crazy Davey

Aussie Lockers
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 02:55:44 AM »
There is some people here who need to do some serious research before they answer a tech question on any website. All the info is out there, go find it, very easy.

That is mostly true, however you got it backwards, when going straight the locker is disengaged because there is no power going to the locker since the hypothetical spider gears are not turning. As soon as the tires start to turn at different rates (ie corning or offroad) and under power, it locks up and delievers 100% of the power to BOTH tires. The is why when a tire is in the air and locked it will still turn.

See the thing with automatic lockers is that if there is no power to them they act like an open diff. This is why coasting around corners does not adverse effects on the vehicle with the locker locking up.

Anyways enough for one night and just my comments

BlackYJ start reading and repost. You are wrong about how lunch box lockers work.

If anyone here wants to know how lockers work, call me at 605-9116 and I will explain it to you. I have installed and worked with most locker designs on the market. The concept is not hard to understand, some people will never get it.

Kris, you are on the right track :D

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
Aussie Lockers
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 06:41:02 AM »
I was thinking about it about after and I realized that I was wrong, as long as there is power, the locker is locked.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline AMCcrazy

• Budget Lift
Aussie Lockers
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2005, 08:48:47 AM »
I tried to sell some of these on the old site for 2 months and nobody even took a bite. so FYI you can get one sent to you directly from Aussie for about the $350 canadian thats landed to you doorstep price and yes they come with very detailed instructions. I personally have one in the front of my FSJ 76 chero and I cant believe it is so Quiet.  I have a friend with front and rear in an 86 gr waggie and another with a rear in a hopped up TJ. I have also put them in a 81 cj front and rear. All of the above with no problems except my self I broke a stob and inner axle pulling someone out backwards high spinning then one wheel caught. BTW my rear is a tightened up limited slip. I also have no lockers left as I sold them all.
lots of friggin AMCs and Jeeps

youngen18

Aussie Lockers
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 02:38:20 PM »
Thnx for the info guys/gals/jeepers :)
Gotta love a community that is willing to help someone out when theres questions to be answered. :)