• mmmmm-bacon
Re: CBs
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:40 AM »
Uniden pro XL120... about $100

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
I agree a cheapo Uniden works great, they are small durable and loud.

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
Uniden pro XL120... about $100

Me tinks you ment to say 520 not 120 ;D.  Used that radio with the Wilson flexwhip in the first yeep....worked grrrrreat!!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:46:52 AM by NUXJR »

Dracitamo

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »
I personally like the Cobra 29W NW LTD Classic. Especially if you are wheeling at night. Makes it a lot easier to see with the dimmer on the display. It's a little more expensive, but it's decent. Also, if you talk to the guy at Comtek, not sure if he would, but he might be able to bump it for you or suggest someone who can.
I'll be heading down next weekend to pick up another antenna. Haven't found one I like yet but I'm trying a new set up this summer. Think I'm going to try out the Wilson.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »
Also, if you talk to the guy at Comtek, not sure if he would, but he might be able to bump it for you or suggest someone who can.

There's honestly not much point in doing that. Here are two reasons why:

#1. Okay...you boost your power, and can get your signal out further. What about the person you're talking to? How are you gonna hear their 4 watt transmission?

#2. Let's say that the person modifying your CB really, really knows their stuff. They take your 4 watt CB and tune it up and you're able to transmit 32 watts of power. That's EIGHT TIMES as much juice! You should be able to talk to the moon, right? Wrong. You actually pick up 9db. When you get down to brass tacks, you'll probably get extra range somewhere between half a mile and one mile. Don't believe me? Crunch the numbers yourself.

http://web.arundale.co.uk/docs/ais/AppNote_UHF_VHF_Calc.pdf

If you want to talk to someone that's further away from you, the answer is not trying to modify a CB. That's like switching to using really, really high quality string between two tin cans.

Please don't read this as a criticism of CB's. They're cheap, require no license, and most of the time they will ge the job done for talking to other people within the same group of wheelers on the trail. They're normally fine for what we use them for...just understand that anything more than a good quality basic CB setup is probably a waste of money. If you really want to communicate effectively while you're wheeling, I'd suggest either buying a sat phone or getting a HAM license.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:18:58 PM by w squared »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 05:22:52 PM »
huh, didn't think CB's power followed in the lines of subs and car audio.  but i guess it makes sense now.  thats good to know W2

Also as for sticks i know the trouble you are going through.  i really wanted a light tip stick for my Cb but couldn't find one, led me to believe it was an interference thing. BUT, i did end up going with a firestick and i am VERY happy with it.  easily tuned my swr to 1.5 in the matter of 5 mins.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
I've had my Cobra 29 boosted(all 3), as have a number of other people I wheel with. Not alot, just under 8 watts. Dean does alot more than just "boost" the radio. He peak and tunes it so that that it receives better(clearer) and transmits better than stock(stronger and cleaner).

I took a lot of time installing mine to get a good ground plane on the antenna and good clean power to the radio to keep the static down. I can pick up guys that others can't hear at all.

The 520 is a fine radio for just chatting to guys close to you on the trail. However if you go out in a small group a lot or multiple groups, or a big group and you are the trail leader and want to talk to the tail gunner when you are all stretched out, having that bit extra is nice. Its still no where near the range as Ham though.

FYI the Cobra 29 and Uniden 68 are the same internals. The Cobra 25 and Uniden 66 are smaller versions of the 29/66 but with a few less features. All are good candidates for Dean's "peak and tune".

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »
I've had my Cobra 29 boosted(all 3), as have a number of other people I wheel with. Not alot, just under 8 watts. Dean does alot more than just "boost" the radio. He peak and tunes it so that that it receives better(clearer) and transmits better than stock(stronger and cleaner).

I took a lot of time installing mine to get a good ground plane on the antenna and good clean power to the radio to keep the static down. I can pick up guys that others can't hear at all.

Both yourself and Gun get the most out of your CB's....but I'm willing to wager that a big part of why that happens is the way that you've mounted the antenna. You've got a better ground plane on your ZJ than all of us Wrangler guys could hope to have unless we permanently attached the hardtop and lined the interior with a copper sheet.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
Both yourself and Gun get the most out of your CB's....but I'm willing to wager that a big part of why that happens is the way that you've mounted the antenna. You've got a better ground plane on your ZJ than all of us Wrangler guys could hope to have unless we permanently attached the hardtop and lined the interior with a copper sheet.

this is the truth.  mine works quite well.

i took Todd and trevs advice and roof mounted mine with their help. (ok they did it) and it works 100x better than my old YJ setup. 

good way to make the best of a small, pewpy radio!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Spike

• Baby Wheeler
  • Moab
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »
I appreciate the low down on CB.  I have to get one before I go out next time....thx!

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »
I agree, ground is the number one issue with any CB, but I have always maintained the 102" whip antenae to be the only way to go.
I had two years worth of issues with my CB and changed most everything on the system over that time. Mics, mounts, coax and so on. I finally took a real close look at the grounding plate at the fender and found there was enough rust on there to totally stop any ground. I wasn't even getting continuity from one side of the plate to the other. Ground everything off and it's all perfect again.

Anyway I've used both the stainless steel whip and fiberglass. I've probably had the fiberglass most often and have always had great luck with them.

Dealt an aweful lot with Dean. Fair prices. Will continue to deal there. For some reason I just don't think you're going to be finding much technical support from EBAY. :o I could be wrong. I've never bought anything off it to support my comment.

Ham, another topic is by far the way to go but far to time consuming for most peoples limited use and a bit more expensive to get into even for a basic rig.
Far better communication though, and a good tool for emergencies some times.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:25:05 PM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
I just don't like when people make off the cuff comments that they would never make in person that's all.

What was off the cuff? And I'd have no problem telling you to your face how you could save a few bucks in person.

Anyways, for those people that don't get offended by saving a few bucks, heres just one example.

Cobra 75 WX ST

rightchannelradios.com $104.95 http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra-75-wx-st-compact-cb-radio.html
Northridge 4x4 $132.99 http://northridge4x4.ca/proddetail.php?prod=COBRA-75WXST
Durham  $139.95 http://www.durhamradio.com/cobra-75wxst-cb-radio-dealer-canada.html
Amazon.ca $126.47 http://www.amazon.ca/Cobra-75WXST-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00005N5WW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335499675&sr=8-1
Locally $199.00

Right Channel Radios offers a complete package, the cobra 75 WX ST, coax cable, ant, swr meter, external speaker and mount  for 240 including shipping to Alberta. Thats far far cheaper then you'll buy locally by well over a 150 bucks.

If you need a hug or technical therapy from your radio salesman, shop local, if your comfortable with what your doing, save some money for the Jeep fund and shop around  ;)

good base model kit, includes everything for 20 bucks more then just buying the radio locally
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/uniden-jeep-off-road-cb-kit.html

high end kit including everything for 40 bucks more then just the radio locally
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra-75-jeep-off-road-kit.html

I've bought from all of em, never had any issues... including Dean himself... hes definately good crap, just needs to adjust his prices is all.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:36:24 PM by binare »

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
Right Channel =  brokerage fees...ask me how I know....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:03:54 PM by Jrama »

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »
Gun runs a CJ and his cb works better than mine. Never understood why.  Same radio tuned by the same guy. Similar antennas.  I imagine those newer wranglers have more plastic in them than metal.  Can see why you can't get a good ground plane.   :D

I defiantly feel that the tune Dean did on my radios was well worth the money.  I actually played around myself with tuning CBs. Bought a bunch of books off the net and played around with some older units I had. Some I screwed right up, others I made some noticeable improvements but nothing as good as Dean. Of course I didn't have the metering equipment he has eother. From the factory the radios aren't on frequency as good as they can be. Simply fine tuning that alone can make a big difference. Or having an old one tuned back in as well.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Re: CBs
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 07:26:20 AM »
Right Channel =  brokerage fees...ask me how I know....

My last order I paid around 10 bucks on 209.00.... GST.

In any case, since your paying 75% to 100% less then you are here, your still saving a shitload since max duties are 30%.

Right Channel is also not the only option, those prices are the going prices, unless you live in Calgary and shop "locally".