Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: CBs  (Read 15749 times)

Offline DanOCan

• Stocker
    • DanOCan
Re: CBs
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
What about the portable units?  I have no doubt they aren't as good as a properly mounted antenna but I'm thinking it would be handy for moving from rig to rig when I take the RV on vacations.  I would imagine they are a workable solution for most situations with a group on the trail.  Comments?

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 08:24:05 AM »
Unless you are using it with an external mag-mount antenna, a handheld unit is a waste of time. The little "rubber ducky" antennas on them are just too short to work properly on CB frequencies. You pretty much have to be looking at someone to be able to talk to them with a handheld that doesn't have a real (vehicle mounted) antenna attached to it.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Slewfoot

• UberWheeler
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:47 AM »
Unless you are using it with an external mag-mount antenna, a handheld unit is a waste of time. The little "rubber ducky" antennas on them are just too short to work properly on CB frequencies. You pretty much have to be looking at someone to be able to talk to them with a handheld that doesn't have a real (vehicle mounted) antenna attached to it.
My experience matches what W Squared is saying.  For the first while, I used a handheld with a mag mount antenna - it did the job.  Using the short little rubber-coated antenna is a very very disappointing experience.
2006 Rubicon LJ (Unlimited) Mostly Stock

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »

Todd is right. The hand held unit is not great unless it is setup right. I can say that I had a mag mount antenna in the roof of my rig last run and my handheld was picking up guys who couldnt heard well. Dean assured me that it has the same range and clarity as the mounted units and the majority of issues comes down to the antenna and the ground. I am very happy with my choice on the Midland portable.

Ps. I looked online and the cost difference was 30 bucks by the time
I paid shipping and brokerage so I am more than willing to pay a local dealer who will help me out if I am in a pinch.

Just a question, it you buy everything online where do you ever go to get warranty work or exchange a bad unit. I personally walk back into the Canadian business where I bought it and get help generally immediately. Good luck if you bought from www.idontsupportthecanadianeconomy.com. Also check out www.everyonesajokebutme.com

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »
Ummmmm, John.... those links don't work.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »

Must be a spelling error. I will check and get back to you ????

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »

That's okay trev. They have warranty service. idontwannasupportlocalbusiness.com
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Bragg Creek 4WD

• Winch Wench
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »
That's weird those links work for me.   Their prices are way better,  excellent service,  any warranty issues they just send me an RA#  and it's free shipping, or I get a free replacement.   It's a real shame the local businesses can't offer the same service,  or price especially since most of them are getting their product from the SAME source. 

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 06:21:04 PM »
"If you need a hug or technical therapy from your radio salesman"  now that made me laugh!!

They have warranty service. idontwannasupportlocalbusiness.com

people are more interested in Flocaliminittofeedmyfamily.com , the age of the internet has showed us that local can match deals or screw us depending on the relationship with vendors, so shop around.  If china is cheaper and it suits your needs and you are not worried about warranty or service then buy from china, if you like to drive up and say hi, then buy local. other then that save money where you can,

They are.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:34:48 PM by jandh »
1991 YJ

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
All of my radios were purchased used. Mostly off ebay and then sent to Dean for a tune up. Some I have had for over 10years and are still working great.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Ddub1973

• Budget Lift
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
Can anyone suggest the best location to mount an antenna on a JK?  I hear some locations are better than others but I do not know much about this sort of thing.
DDUB OIIIIO

2013 JKUR

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »
Tailgate mount does a good job of protecting it from damage, and avoids drilling holes in your rig.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_gatemount.shtml

I use one of these for my CB antenna, and one for my 2 meter antenna. They're spendy compared to a sheet metal mount, but sometimes you get what you pay for. No JK will ever get the kind of performance that a station wagon driver will get out of their rig, but the thick bar stock on the mount seems to do a good job of providing a reasonable RF ground.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »
No JK will ever get the kind of performance that a station wagon driver will get out of their rig, but the thick bar stock on the mount seems to do a good job of providing a reasonable RF ground.

Just another reason to dump those bathtubs on wheels and move to the dark side!  ;D

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Bone206

• Budget Lift
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
I just used a 90 degree shelving bracket from home depot that I ground down to fit into one of the recesses that houses the bolts holding the spare tire carrier to the tailgate. I have had it for 2 years and it still works great. Cost me about $0.75 and was a fun little project.
07 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1.5 spidertrax spacers, 2.5 teraflex cl, 275/70/18 duratracs, ace rock rails, black OEM  rims, safari straps roof, Cobra 29 WXBT CB

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »
Just another reason to dump those bathtubs on wheels and move to the dark side!  ;D

Your CB may work better, but I can close my tailgate while my rig is off-camber without using a sledgehammer.  ;D