Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Do you drive a gray/knickel colored JEEP TJ.............?  (Read 8281 times)

Offline cheypopp

• Stocker
Do you drive a gray/knickel colored JEEP TJ.............?
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:07:21 AM »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give everybody a heads up as to what happened to me yesterday (my very 1st mothers day, believe it or not!). Just so it doesn't happen to you.

There is a gentlemen in the city who has lost his gray Jeep TJ - probably mid 2000's like mine.
I live in Beddington and my husband and I went downtown (with our 6 month old daughter) to pick up a mothers day present.
We parked on 2 st and 7 ave. Before we could unbuckle our seatbelts, a gentleman in a new-ish white toyota pick up boxed us in on my driver side. Keep in mind, he stopped traffic in his lane for his next stupid act.

My husband got out - we both thought maybe he was upset we took his parking spot downtown - and then he decided to tell my husband that MY Jeep was HIS and accused us of stealing it from him.
By the time I got the bill of sale from the console (bought my jeep 3 mths ago)- the guys father had arrived in a silver 4 door car and boxed us in from behind.
I tried to show BOTH of them my bill of sale, registration etc, we tried telling him there's 3 gray jeeps like mine in my area.
We called the cops and were informed by the first guy that they already called the cops.

Cops arrived within 1 minute, literally. The older gentleman (that boxed us in from behind) and I were arguing over the fact it was MY jeep. He said the lug nuts were mis matched like his, the VIN matched, the shocks were changed, he put the rock chip in the headlight etc. I tried to explain to this was not his jeep and to get a life and get lost (along with multiple colored words).

I showed the cops my bill of sale and they spoke with him. He was hell bent on saying it was his jeep - even going so far to say that WE changed the VIN. He said we physically removed the VIN  plate # and changed it.....we informed him the jeep is registered and has been for 3 months now.

FINALLY - after these 2 idiots were done ''inspecting'' my jeep the cop asked buddy for the VIN # of his and low and behold - they were different numbers (even though he told me they matched).
THEN - his son, the first guy who boxed us in, noticed the steering damper was different. They had the wrong jeep....go figure.

They both admitted they were wrong. Our kid started crying (by this time she was in the jeep for about 20 min). I told them to quit defending their point - and they tried to apologize to me - I basically told them where to go, how to get there and the speed they should travel.

THEN - the older gentlemen asked us for our address - because he wanted to inspect the other gray jeeps in my area.

I talked to the cop afterwards - these guys had been following us from Center ST North up by our house ALL THE WAY DOWNTOWN.
They were told NOT to pursue us by the dispatcher but did so anyway.

HEADS UP - incase someone tries to pull the same thing on you.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Do you drive a gray/knickel colored JEEP TJ.............?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
The world is full of morons. It's too bad that you had to meet a pair of them on mother's day.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline cheypopp

• Stocker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
Definitely full of morons.
I really hope they learnt never to do that again - but just incase they didn't I thought I'd let everybody else know.
Better not see them next time I go grocery shopping etc.
I'm assuming because they followed us, he just might live in the surrounding area.
I also hope they told their wives what happened and there was a kid in the car....that would be punishment enough, haha.
You can't stop the stupid.

Offline jkrubi

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »
Now I wish I drove a gray/nickel colored tj, just so I can drive around up here and see if I can find these idiots, so I could have fun with them too!

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »

That's an  absolutely terrible experience and I truly hope your next Mothers Day goes better. I however would have handled it poorly and be in the Remand Centre if some strangers followed me and boxed me in. I'm thinking tire iron to buddy and his Dad.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline cheypopp

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
My husband remembered when he asked buddy what he was doing he said ''this license plate came back stolen''.
I've had my license plate since my first car at 16.....was this guy an off-duty cop? He played it calm and cool like a cop would. Not like somebody who just got his vehicle stolen.
If it happens again, i'll be flying out of my jeep like a badger out of a hole.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
I'm sorry, but boxed you in? With your child in the car?   :o

When the police tried to charge me with assault, I would have simply told them I believed it was a carjacking or kidnapping attempt.  Buddy or his dad wouldn't have had a chance to get a word out.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Knox

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
I'm sorry, but boxed you in? With your child in the car?   :o

When the police tried to charge me with assault, I would have simply told them I believed it was a carjacking or kidnapping attempt.  Buddy or his dad wouldn't have had a chance to get a word out.

^^ this

As a silver tj driver who doesn't care about body damage... I might have gone to a holding cell for a while if they had of pulled that with my jeep
2003 TJ
"Your TJ has the aerodynamics of a brick"
"if you lose the stick, chances are you'll lose the jeep......"

Offline TL-Iguana

• Talks waaay too much!
  • XJ - The Official TJ Rescue Vehicle
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »
^^ this

As a silver tj driver who doesn't care about body damage... I might have gone to a holding cell for a while if they had of pulled that with my jeep

Have you fixed the fender on my silver TJ yet Knox??? I want it back soon plz... before you do any more damage ;)
I did a Google search for "hot trannies" but nothing came up about oil coolers  :o

Worrying too much about mpg with a Jeep is similar to worrying about your sister's virginity. An ok thing to be concerned about but...

'01 XJ on 35s, '11 Jk DD

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
Steel bumpers and 4wd push cars easily...unless there's red and blue lights boxing me and my kid in, I take it as a hostile threat. And I'm pushing my way out. >:(
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline cheypopp

• Stocker
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
Funny story - some of you may remember me from when I was selling my 2000 TJ which was yellow and black.
This 2003 gray/nickel TJ is what I purchased - I've had it for 3 months and this is what happens.
My husband made 2 custom bumpers last year - one for his jeep and one for mine. They are about 3/4 inch thick, rounded metal tube with the ends capped and welded. My stop-all bumper.
Unfortunately, I haven't put it on this one yet.

I think the cops were following the guys that were following us because they were there very quickly - literally in a minute or less.
If it took any longer it definitely would have been a different outcome and smashing bumpers / fighting would have occured.
I'm not to concerned about body damage either - as long as it's kept shiny side up since it's also my daily driver/kid mobile. 

All in all though - it's very hard to raise a kid while your in jail or unable to work. Still trying to work on charging the guy.

We just found it very funny because when we got home later that day, my boyfriends jeep was broken into. Coincidence? Maybe. Worth looking into? You bet!

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »
A coworker of mine got rear ended by a cabbie in Fort Mac. The cabbie hit his panic button and within minutes she was surround(boxed in) by four cabs. They all started trying to intimidate her saying it was her fault and to just go home. She jumped the curb and drove to the police station.

After giving the report the police officer said it was actually too bad that she didn't have to hit one of the cabs to get out as then they could have charged the cab drivers with entrapment.

Next time she says they try to pull that  she's taking a piece of them with her.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline WK2008

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »
That's an  absolutely terrible experience and I truly hope your next Mothers Day goes better. I however would have handled it poorly and be in the Remand Centre if some strangers followed me and boxed me in. I'm thinking tire iron to buddy and his Dad.

Funny how we are both on the same page with that one. You don't mess with a mans wife or child and I'm sure they will get what is coming to them. Props to your husband for keeping his cool and not going to jail.

Offline cheypopp

• Stocker
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »
Too true. I've never seen him get out of the jeep and around to the other guys' driver side door so fast.
The guy backed up and my husband thought he was going to leave, so he held buddies door open while he was on the phone with the cops. 30 seconds later the cops were there.

Talked to the cop yesterday - he said the only thing they could do is cite a traffic infraction for stopping traffic - but for confinement/entrapment we would have to either have tried to get out (we were just pulling up to park) or if we were leaving and trying to get out. As for anything else, I'd have to file a civil suit.

My wish is that they don't get their jeep back. Period. I hope somebody stole it and took it up to Fort Mc and stripped it bare!  Awful, I know, haha, but having a hard time feeling bad.

On a happier note : To all those going may long camping - have a great weekend - might see you out on the trails as we leave Friday!!!!!

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:33:11 AM by Hi Lo Silver »