Calgary Jeep Association

Linked Events

• McLean cleanup: May 26, 2012

Author Topic: May 26- 9am- McLean creek cleanup  (Read 18006 times)

Offline Spike

• Baby Wheeler
  • Moab
Re: May 26- 9am- McLean creek cleanup
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
I know...I never air down before and I did lots of hard core stuff in the oil patch and spent my time stuck waiting for a tow.  However, you know what they say...old dog new tricks...airing down is the next best thing since sliced bread!  I am a believer now....I'm an old dog with a new trick...LOL

Offline canthonyparkinson

• Winch Wench
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »
I guess I will have to try it some time.
Anthony Parkinson
2013 JKU Rubicon

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »
Sorry I missed out on the Top of the world trip.  I just didn't trust myself to be able to handle it.  The whole Airing down thing is something I am unfamilliar with and a bit scared of.  I wheeled my old rig (in the 70s  & 80s) for over 5 years most weekends and the subject of airing down never even came up.  The whole thing seems a bit on the extreme side to me (maybe I'm just getting old).

Anyway, it was fun going with you guys and doing the cleanup.

Anthony

2003 basically stock TJ (the blue one with the roof rack). 

#1 reason to air down.  Ride Quality.  Anyone with leaf springs can explain the difference ;)
Yes a lot has changed in 30-40 years.  ie BIAS PLY to Radial tires (major difference).  There is nothing to be scared of except more traction and comfort.  the worst you'll pop a bead.  have a compressor, a little water, and a ratchet strap, back on the trail in a few minutes. 
Drink the Kool-aid it's GOOOD

Offline canthonyparkinson

• Winch Wench
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2012, 08:37:14 AM »
Any suggestions on a good air compressor?  BTW what is a Ratchet Strap?  Just for information, I was running on radials back then (BFG Radial A/T).
Anthony Parkinson
2013 JKU Rubicon

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »
Toys for boys on edmonton trail has them. They have a chinese copy of the big viar ? Two pumps on each end for like just $100. Walk in the door look right and top shelf.

Sent from my I junk

Offline specialk

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 02:58:37 PM »
BTW what is a Ratchet Strap?  

A strap with a ratchet end on it.   They are made specifically to make grown men feel really small when someone hands them one on the trail for the first time and can't figure out how to use them...  ::)

Once you use one, they will start multiplying like rabbits in your jeep cause you will use them for everything.  Holding down tools, coolers, chainsaws, small children, large children (some of them are long).  You will even start color coding them.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:02:27 PM by specialk »
04 TJ Rubi