Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New Member from Brazil  (Read 8096 times)

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
New Member from Brazil
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »
Hi guys!

My name is Elver and I arrived in Calgary couple months ago. I came from Brazil where I had a Suzuki for trails, you can check my channel on YouTube for few videos (www.youtube.com/eddiehck)

I bought a 2012 Rubicon (stock) and want to start to do some trails arround Calgary. I already went on McLean Creak and Waiparous areas but didn't get into any trails so far for two basic reasons: I don't know how hard it is and I was alone.

I'm looking forward to meet you guys any time for wheeling or just for a beer!

Cheers!
2012 JKU Rubicon - Synergy 3.5" | Hankook 35" | Warn 9.5CTi

Offline Kanueh

• Budget Lift
Re: New Member from Brazil
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »
There are a bunch of people meeting at the McLean Creek store on Sunday at 10:00.
2008 JKU Rubicon
3" BDS Lift / Kingone 9.5 Winch / 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers / Custom Front Drive Shaft
EVO Sleeves, Outer axle seals, Gussets, Control Arm Skids / Poison Spyder EVAP Skid
Superchips FlashPaq / Spal Waterproof Radiator Fan / Univers

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
Welcome to Canada/Calgary/the forum.  You'll enjoy McLean  probably more than wiapourus (more trails).  Although wiapourus has gorgeous scenery. Hope to see you on the trails.

Mike

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
Hi there welcome  :)

Offline Spike

• Baby Wheeler
  • Moab
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:59:54 PM »
Hi, Welcome and hope to see you out this Sunday.

Offline hornblower

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »
were you out in waiporous last weekend? I think I may have talked with you.

Preparing For the Zombie Apocolypse.

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm sure that I will find a lot of places to have fun around Calgary.

I'm going to McLean Creek on 17th June for a ride with a friend from a Dodge dealer and I would like to know how hard are the trails there for a stock Rubicon. Since I don't have a winch (yet) I was thinking in a light trail with some mud pools and maybe some rocks/erosions to test my lockers and suspension :)

He will film the action to build a market material for Wrangler.

Any advice for what trail will be good for a stock Rubicon?

BTW, feel free to join us if you are looking for something light  8)

As soon as I start to get used to the place and car and, of course,  get a winch, I will get into harder trails  ;)

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »
Mclean Creek - Top of the World, is an easy run.
1991 YJ

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »
I have an outdated map from McLean Creek and there's no names on it, so ... anyone can tell me where's the trail start and where it ends ?

Thank you!

Offline THE GOLD DIIGGER

• UberWheeler
  • This is cool lets see you do this.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
Go to the unloading zone and there are new up dated maps in the box.

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
This location "suppose" to be the Top of the World.

Lat: 50°52'46.53"N
Long: 114°38'25.71"W

Can someone please confirm if this location is right?

I'm attaching an image with two maps combined (Google Earth view and OHV Map), the red circle with green border suppose to be the Top of the World. I would like to know if it's a round trip (go to top then come back using the same way) or I'm able to continue. Looking at map that I found, seems to be possible to continue ahead but I'm not sure. Also, I think that I will to take the short way to there (Earth view with blue arrows)... it's possible to go thru this way?

Again, thank you very much for your help and patience, I hope start to get familiarized with McLean asap.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1Bo5IipiwLHR0E2azV6VzR6QmM

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Printed Map: http://www.srd.alberta.ca/RecreationPublicUse/RecreationOnPublicLand/PublicLandUseZones/documents/McLeanCreek_Trails_Kiosk11x17_Revised080710Watermark.pdf

GPS Map: http://albertatrailmaps.ca/

Your coordinates are about correct.    Just drive up Priddis East.  There is a trail sign.  You can head out to the south, just watch for a couple of ledges.  You can get around them if you want.  North is also possible, but there are some good mud holes at the bottom.  East is not open to trucks, see the colour coding on the SRD map.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:38:56 PM by JohnB »

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »
Thank you very much!!
I will check this out on next Sunday

Offline Elver

• Baby Wheeler
Buying a new CB Radio
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
Hey guys,

Im about to buy a CB Radio and, since I dont  have plans to drill holes in my new jeep I looking for a handheld model.

Searching for local stores I found this models http://ntfc.ca/PortableRadios.htm.

Also I found this model too : https://www.cobra.com/detail/hh-38-wx-st-hand-held-cb-radio-with-weather-soundtracker.cfm

Im not experienced with radios and I dont know if theres any model that isnt compatible with models that you guys use here in Calgary.

Regardless of price, which model you guys recomend?

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
The radios in your first link are VHF radios, and you would need a HAM license to use them.Even if you did have a HAM license, they can't communicate to the majority of the folks in the club, as they use CB radios - and the two operate in different ways.

As far the second link - the handheld - I honestly wouldn't bother unless you're going to get a mag-mount external antenna to go with it. The tiny little antenna on handheld CB's means that if you can't see someone, you probably can't talk to them either. The performance of handheld CB's is pretty crappy.

You can get a Cobra 75 (or other full size Cobra CB)  and a mount for your tailgate, and mount everything without ever drilling a single hole in your Jeep.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(