Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: GAMP, it appears to be here :(  (Read 21744 times)

Becker

GAMP, it appears to be here :(
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2006, 02:32:46 PM »
The really unfortunate part here is that the ball is now rolling so to speak.  

With the new restricted access, it's inevitable that the volume of vehicles using the McLean area will considerably increase now.  With increased numbers of users at McLean, it won't be long until the trails become congested, and ultimately become more damaged due to the sheer volumes.  This will only open another can of worms, and result in McLean restrictions in the future.

Glad I didn't tear the Jeep apart and do a complete rebuild now afterall!

Just my thoughts

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2006, 02:46:13 PM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"

So everyone is entitled to gripe especially anyone that has donated time and $$$$ to AURS.

Tom :cry:

I second that remark.

Is it me or did the AURS mission statement change at the last minute? Seems like a diversion to misdirect blame for the failing on it's initial intention... which was.... wait for it... to save trails.

Somehwere along the way, the purpose of the organization was lost or changed.

User groups in support of the AURS had been given the impression that they (the AURS) will fight for the open trail. This is the impression I had of the AURS when I first go into 4wheelin two years ago.  Two months before this GAMP announcement, all of the sudden the mission of the AURS had been re-vamped stating they are NOT a lobby group working to preserve the trail system, but a conduit for advocay for all user groups. WTF? IMHO a conduit for advocacy does not require membership dues. A lobby however, does.

These are MY THOUGHTS, not those of the CJA or it's affiliates, if there are any. This is a Public Forum where public opionin is expressed. You may be offended by my sense of honesty, that is your right. But i have the right to my sense of honesty. Intelligent rebuttle is appreciated, censorship is not.

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »
I'm with Tom on this one. We have been fighting for a very long time, but to no avail. Basiclly, they've told us how it's going to be, and that's that.

I'm going to say this once, and only once...(I'm gonna get banned for this one)

The trails are chewed to crap, camp sites left after May long have been trashed, barns burned down, live trees cut down, oil and chemical spills one the ground, people washing their rigs on the rivers and streams constant new trails being made, bridges being destoyed, fences being cut down and used for fire wood. Is it from you or me? Maybe not, but we all had something to do with it. Anyone who says different is a liar. We may all be better educated now, but it's too late. The damage has been done. There will always be someone to ruin it for everyone else. It's human nature. Use the crap out of something until there is nothing left.

I haven't been out for a maylong (or any long weekend for that matter) for years. Why? Because what I see out there absolutely sickens me. I can barely stand to watch the news after a long weekend. I DO NOT WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH ANY OF THESE YA-HOO'S.

I guess what I'm saying is that, it has been a long time comming, and now that it's here...suck it up. Be thankful there is anything left. I can't even access one of my favoirte hiking trails that I have be hiking and biking since I was a kid. :roll:

Now, go to Maclean, chew it  up, rape and pillage and use the hell out of it, cause you know it's next. DON"T FORGET TO POST PICS, SMART GUY'S!!!!

Have a good weekend. :evil:
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2006, 03:30:13 PM »
Dan,
i have been here since 2000. There is night and day differnce on Long Weekends especially the last two May Longs (which really is the 'best of the worst").
Education was working and campsites were clean, yes almost 95% of sites in random camp areas at Maclean and Waiporous. i was impressed. Peer pressure and the internet have helped that. i actually rode all last May Long and did many truck trails (now known as Quad trails) and saw very little chaos. Other Long Weekends are pure joy out there.

However, there is always the bad seed and this is my gripe....where is the enforcement????
i spoke with Rick Blackwood Wed morning. We had a "nice" chat. There will be a huge enforcement presense this weekend in the Ghost. i suggested that Rick make sure the RCMP, who will actually be in the bush this year and not just on the 940, bring portable breathalizers and do stop checks at 4 corners. Enough is enough with the 20% bad apple crowd.
Am i suprised? Absolutely, they SRD tricked us this whole time and kept 200+kms of trails for us if we behave :roll:  Like nice timing on the release during the BUSIEST weekend out there. Argggghhhhh!

Greg, re AURS: i joined because the mantra was this" Join the AURS as the ONLY multiuser group fighting to keep your trails open!"
Yep, they changed to PURE Stewardship before GAMP was finalized. There was not a membership vote. A4WDA was taking over the 4x4 advocacy role.

If you are pure Stewardship than this is how it works......

Government " Please go and close 100kms of trails"

AURS " OK, we will get our membership to do that"

But if you ask WHY? than you have become an ADVOCATE. So as far as i can see you can not realistically be stewardship without some advocacy. AURS believes it can be just stewardship only.

Bye
Tom
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 03:43:56 PM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"
Dan,
i have been here since 2000. There is night and day differnce on Long Weekends especially the last two May Longs (which really is the 'best of the worst").
Education was working and campsites were clean, yes almost 95% of sites in random camp areas at Maclean and Waiporous. i was impressed. Peer pressure and the internet have helped that. i actually rode all last May Long and did many truck trails (now known as Quad trails) and saw very little chaos. Other Long Weekends are pure joy out there.

This is like tell a child "you're grounded"

The child is going to be as good as pie to try and heve the grounding reversed. The next day, they're back to their old selves.

Last year was "better" because it was no longer a threat..it was reality.

The SRD doesn't care about the last two years...they care about the last 10 or 20. Their minds were already made up.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2006, 04:23:12 PM »
Agreed, but with no enforcement we had very little chance of success.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »
Think they care? :roll:

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2006, 11:09:44 PM »
Thanks Tom

Keener,

there isnt a poster in here that hasnt devoted time, money, and hard work at one time of another towards this cause.

Fact of the matter is, everything we did went ignored. They had a plan in mind. Regardless of what we said, or did, it was ignored.

There so many options available that they ignored.

Back country vehicle registration as user fees.

Banning random camping to keep the raves, teenagers, and yahoos under control.

Trail adoption.

Open unless posted closed.

The list is endless. They just dont care.

As for those who quit a hobby because they have drive a little farther, thats up to them. Obviously not that into it in the first place.Thats fine and their perogitive.

There are wheelers all over north america that have to drive 6 hours minimum to go wheeling. And people drop the hobby they supposedly love because one spot 45 minutes from their door has been restricted?

I will still be wheeling. Im to lazy to pedal a mountain bike, and to little to push a 700 pound quad off of my broken arse :D  :D

lol, I bought a 1 ton tow rig to make longer trips easier.

Anyway, dont be to discouraged. Things will work out eventually.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

HIWYH8R

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2006, 08:52:32 PM »
"As for those who quit a hobby because they have drive a little farther, thats up to them. Obviously not that into it in the first place.Thats fine and their perogitive.

There are wheelers all over north america that have to drive 6 hours minimum to go wheeling. And people drop the hobby they supposedly love because one spot 45 minutes from their door has been restricted? "

I just took a trip out west of Sundre on some forestry roads todayto scope out some camping and wheeling spots and it is way nicer up there. Instead if trees and dirt, it's trees and grass. Nice and green everywhere, lot's of people random camping (but not over crowded) and seems to be alot of trails (just have to drive a little to get to them) and some real nice camping spots I found. I don't know why I've been going to Wiapourus, cause it's only 2 hours from my door to the area I went today.

Kel

Offline jeepsucks

• Winch Wench
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »
This has been my thought all along. I wasn't about to waste my time and money fighting an unbeatable battle. I will spend alittle more money and I will burn alittle more gas getting to where I need to go, but I'm not giving up wheeling just yet.  You can't fight city hall.

Quote from: "HIWYH8R"
"As for those who quit a hobby because they have drive a little farther, thats up to them. Obviously not that into it in the first place.Thats fine and their perogitive.

There are wheelers all over north america that have to drive 6 hours minimum to go wheeling. And people drop the hobby they supposedly love because one spot 45 minutes from their door has been restricted? "

I just took a trip out west of Sundre on some forestry roads todayto scope out some camping and wheeling spots and it is way nicer up there. Instead if trees and dirt, it's trees and grass. Nice and green everywhere, lot's of people random camping (but not over crowded) and seems to be alot of trails (just have to drive a little to get to them) and some real nice camping spots I found. I don't know why I've been going to Wiapourus, cause it's only 2 hours from my door to the area I went today.

Kel
this jeepsucks up every nickle I make.