Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Choker Chain  (Read 8371 times)

Offline RookieRecurve

• Baby Wheeler
Choker Chain
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
Another question regarding recovery equipment.  I see that choker chains are often included in recovery kits.  Is there some advantage to a chain over a nylon strap?  For the added weight and price, would a nylon strap be able to serve a very similar function for anchoring and whatnot?  Obviously, being able to choke the chain will allow easier adjustments in length, but is there any other significant advantages over a strap?  Is this a "must have" in anyones opinion?

Thanks.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon 35" tires, 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, sway bar disconnect, 2.73:1 low range, #12,000 warn winch, 2" factory lift, skid plates, tweaked ECM, beefed up diff covers, bilstein shocks, alcoa forged wheels with bead-keepers, etc

Offline binare

• That CB Yapper
Re: Re: Choker Chain
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:56:07 AM »
I use one for clearing deadfall and haulin logs back to camp for wood. Cases like that your nylon strap would get torn up pretty good.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Choker Chain
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:02:51 AM »
I never use a chain in any recovery. No exceptions. Straps will not go flying if they break, will never rust and don't gouge into trees when you loop them around.

I carry a 2"x20' (Generic Moder Motors one) snatch strap rated to 20k lbs and a 3"x30' (ARB) snatch strap rated to 30k lbs. ARB winch line extension if I need it. Tree saver/ anchor rated to 12k lbs, I actually got this one from Shaw Enterprises. It is a crane and rigging supplier up by the truck stop.

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
I have only used the Chain from my Warn kit once, pulling a Jeep that had no good recovery points it was situation where a nylon strap would have likely been wrecked (which is the only reason you would use the chain *instead* of a strap). That said I wouldn't bother with one they are heavy and replaceable by other straps.

True.... chains may break but the Warn one is beef, I'd hate to see the recovery were it would give way to stress. I have no hesitations using it for Jeep recovery. I believe its a grade 7 chain
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:23:47 AM by Jrama »

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »
Never use a chain with a strap under any conditions. Accident waiting to happen.
Only use would be a winch recovery where there are no hooks or clevis attachment points and then what are they doing wheeling with out the attachments points ?

Sent from my I junk

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »
I have only used the Chain from my Warn kit once, pulling a Jeep that had no good recovery points it was situation where a nylon strap would have likely been wrecked (which is the only reason you would use the chain *instead* of a strap). That said I wouldn't bother with one they are heavy and replaceable by other straps.

True.... chains may break but the Warn one is beef, I'd hate to see the recovery were it would give way to stress. I have no hesitations using it for Jeep recovery. I believe its a grade 7 chain

Fixed it for clarity, There were points that were half ripped out...so we didn't trust em

I'd also hate to see the recovery that ripped stock TJ tow points from the frame......
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:27:14 AM by Jrama »

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
I think that "when to use a chain" can best be summed up in this way:

If you don't yet have the experience to KNOW if a chain is appropriate, then you don't yet have the experience to use that chain safely.

I'd suggest that even if you get a chain with a kit that you buy, you leave it at home for the time being. Here's what you will acutally need for recovery gear in Alberta:

winch
snatch block
recovery strap with no metal parts on it (Modern Motors has reasonable quality ones at inexpensive prices)
tree saver (again, Modern offers good value)
a couple good quality clevises - 3/4" fits most recovery points
good pair of leather gloves
shovel

And most importantly, make sure that your rig has stout recovery points that are properly attached to the frame both front and rear. Of course, since you drive a full sized rig, you may want to include a couple friends that have full sized rigs on your list of "must haves". Not a lot of Jeep owners will be all that keen on beating up their rigs trying to pull a 1 ton out of a mud hole.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »

And most importantly, make sure that your rig has stout recovery points that are properly attached to the frame both front and rear. Of course, since you drive a full sized rig, you may want to include a couple friends that have full sized rigs on your list of "must haves". Not a lot of Jeep owners will be all that keen on beating up their rigs trying to pull a 1 ton out of a mud hole.

BWHAHA!  When I wheeled my truck I got pulled out lots by Jeeps/Toyotas, sometimes all I needed was a little tug, sometimes I needed two winches.

My Jeep now weighs in around 6500#. Sometimes I need a little yank, sometimes I need two winches.

Never had anyone I wheeled with hesitate to give me help when needed. I guess everyone is different though......
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:10:34 PM by cLAY »

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »
I'd wager that the person behind the wheel may increase of decrease the chances of someone being happy to help pull someone out. There are lots of folks that I'd wheel with happily if they are driving full sized rigs....beacuse they know how to drive, know where there rig can and should go, and they avoid doing blatantly stupid things (well, other than the blatant stupidity of owning a modified vehicle for off-road use).

I've also taken one look at a completely drunken guy who's got his Ramcharger stuck up to the frame in a tank trap, and decided that I wasn't too keen on hooking my Jeep up to his rig. He wasn't very impressed with my offer to drive him to the nearest pay phone.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
There might be a few F bomb in there...

Check this out and you can make your own decision about using a chain to pull another vehicle out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=845cxykfDns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKXwrOKRK1k&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:35:58 PM by SwampSinger »

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:06:13 PM »
Here is some food for though on why chains can and can not be used.  Its all in the application.

Chain itself is very strong and very durable and can handle static loads like crazy. BUT... you can not shock load them because of how rigid they are the force is almost exponentially increased at the point of tension.  Think back to physics and breaking force.  your jeep at 8k/h stopping in 1/4 of an inch.  There is a whole pile of energy that has to be dissipated, or used in a short amount of time. Where as you take the same numbers and use a hard line strap that will stretch say 2" over 20 feet, your breaking time is increased and the force is dissipated at a lower level.  If you are slowly bringing up a load on chain in the form of a recovery then your chain can be very strong and quite appropriate.

Here is the rub though.  People don't spend the money on the right chain, people don't spend the time to properly inspect their chain (where as a strap is easy and quick to see its condition before use) and people STILL will yank a chain even if they know its supposed to be used as a static load only.  Lastly, IF that chain does break, it breaks catastrophically and without warning like a strap will.

In the end we all know we will cheat our equipment, we all know we will neglect it, and over all abuse it, so why bother luging around heavy chain that clanks and rattles and collects rust?  Personally to sold the no tow points issue i went to PA and picked up a set of axle straps.  they were cheap and i won't be heart broken if they break.

In my best advice pick up a few moderate hard line nylon straps, and a GOOD kinetic recovery strap before you look at chain.

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »
Food for thought....
The above poster types long post and knows stuff but uses PA axle straps for recovery purposes.  :'(

It's your life to choose how it ends.

--------------
If you take nothing else away from this article, know this:  EVERY time you mount an operation to recover a stuck 4x4, be it by winching, jacking, yank strap or whatever, you are playing with lethal force.  The damage caused by equipment failure, or improper operation, can and WILL maim and kill people.  NEVER underestimate it.  There is a line in a movie that expresses it best.  I forget to what it was the speaker was referring, but he may as well have been talking about any piece of recovery gear - particularly the winch and wire rope.  He said "The minute you stop respecting this, it kills you."  KEEP THAT IN MIND AT ALL TIMES.
---------------

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

Jeep
With stuff

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »
For what we do straps are easier ,lighter, and less of a headache

Just get a few different lengths and ull be fine

I have a bunch of different lengths and it's easy to loop them together if u need more length
But my favorite one is from an air port rated for over 150,000 lbs
It stretches 5 feet  and is wicked at sling shotting douches out of mud holes

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline Nootch

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 05:04:12 AM »
Busted!!  yeah, i shop at PA from time to time.  We all do it, i am just being honest about it.   :-X

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 07:56:25 AM »
Nothing wrong with PA, or with axle straps....but using an axle strap as a recovery point....now THAT is an issue. Axle straps are great for preventing your rig from moving when it's on a trailer.

But as Frenchy said, it's your life so you get to choose how it ends.